Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    Dude that is sweet

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada

Update!!

So I've been trying out some different tires for the Sno-Pede truck and after a few sets of different tires and way to much trudging through the snow to get my truck moving again, I finally have a setup that works really well. The trenchers did ok, but only if they could find the surface under the snow. The badlands were slightly better than trenchers but still needed a lot of momentum to keep on top anything deeper than a couple inches, but holy man, when those badlands find the dirt or grass under the snow, they hook up something fierce! Can't wait til the snow melts so I can run the badlands on dirt and gravel. I had previously tried the maxx chevrons and monster jam tires which were the worst ones of the group. I was truly surprised that the maxx tires wouldn't go anywhere at all, I figured they'd be top contenders. As for the monster jam tires, I'm pretty sure my road rages would do better in the snow.

Then I tried the 2.2" proline sand paws...wow! The sand paws move a serious amount of snow and throw some very respectable rooster tails. They outperform all the other tires I've tried so far and finally my 3s lipos feel like 3s lipos again. They will get stuck if the truck gets stopped in the deep stuff, but they seem to dig very well in reverse too, so 90% of the time I can back up a foot or two, hammer the throttle and the truck will take off again. Very impressed with these tires and had to run inside and grab another pack cuz I couldn't get enough of running this setup.

I installed the protrac kit front arms on this truck as well, just because I felt the need, and I'm mostly using it as a wide mod, but when the snows gone I'll throw tires on it. Installed rpm knuckles, rpm c blocks, protrac f/r towers, protrac rear carriers, hot racing adjustable wheel extensions and a new hsp prepainted quad body I won off eBay for 8 bucks.

Another thing I changed is the skis. The first setup I bought from full force rc have a bracket that bolts to the steering knuckle and then the turnbuckles has to be attached to the ski bracket. Not a convenient setup at ball to say the least.

Pic of mounting bracket from fullforce skis

The second set of skis are from madtrax rc and they attach to the 12mm hex which makes them a very convenient setup. The only downfall to the madtraxx skis is that they have a spring that hooks to the steering knuckle that is supposed to keep the tips of the skis pointing up when they come off the ground. Well, the spring is cheap junk and bends easily until it breaks. But since the madtraxx skis can be taken on and off just like a wheel, i felt it would be worthwhile coming up with something to replace the spring system. Two long 5mm bolts and two 5mm lock nuts later and problem solved. Works way better than the spring and is nice and strong, plus it allows for the use of maximum length *(2.36" total width gain) of the HR wheel extensions, which make this thing nearly impossible to roll when turning hard and makes for a better overall ride.

Pics of the madtraxx ski mount

Here's my spring replacement mod, you can see that instead of having a spring holding the ski mount, I simply cut the head off of a long bolt and locked it in place at the holes where the screw for the spring used to be. That bolt uses the knuckle to stop it from spinning backwards and hits the arm to stop it from spinning forwards. It works really well and had zero issues when running it. Patent pending, btw.

Pics of the updated Sno-Pede

Some flaming duct tape to keep the skids from getting hung up. Works fantastic and looks pretty good too! 6 bucks form Wally mart.

Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 01-25-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Pics of contour gps camera mounted to tx

And heres a video of it tearing up the snow in the backyard:

For anyone considering the ski kit for their pede, go with the madtraxx kit, it's 50 bucks, which is about 20-25 bucks cheaper than the fullforce kit, they're way beefier, and mounts as easy as changing the two front wheels. Anyone who tries the madtraxx and has issues with the spring setup, shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to help you do my mod to make em work perfect.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 01-25-2012 at 02:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome!!!!

Super awesome bro! Love it, and I really Love that body too. Really nice, and fits the pede perfectly. Question, does it come with handle bars? Just opt not to put them on right? I love it though. The way u did the seat, it kind of reminds me of a bumble bee

Those Skis do look really beefy, Look good the way they are extended too. I like that.

By the way, the Gas company is going to come out and yell at ya. lol OR.. They marked it off so u know where ur diggin with your Sand Paws! Cant wait to try out my Sand Paw 2.2 too!

As always, Great job!

RC Racer
    Nice Job Baldy! That thing is hauling A*% through the snow. I am impressed with how well the skis work.

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Super awesome bro! Love it, and I really Love that body too. Really nice, and fits the pede perfectly. Question, does it come with handle bars? Just opt not to put them on right? I love it though. The way u did the seat, it kind of reminds me of a bumble bee

Those Skis do look really beefy, Look good the way they are extended too. I like that.

By the way, the Gas company is going to come out and yell at ya. lol OR.. They marked it off so u know where ur diggin with your Sand Paws! Cant wait to try out my Sand Paw 2.2 too!

As always, Great job!
    Thanks man, I wasn't really sure how the body would look or fit on the truck when I bought it. It didn't come with handlebars, but i was thinkin bout making some for it. Also thinking it needs a couple more little details to make it not so plain. As for the bumblebee seat, lol, yeah I know, I'm not really a fan of the look on the seat, and am thinking I might black it out, but i didn't paint this body. Its was an hsp prepainted quad body that I stumbled across on auction at eBay and I got it for 8 or 9 bucks with free shipping. It was a nightmare to cut because it had no imprinted lines to follow and I just had to wing it and hope it turned out.

The ski mounts on the madtraxx skis are way beefier and because they use the 12mm hex, and with my mod to replace the spring, it allowed for the wheel extensions. When I was using stock arms with the ski kits, as soon as I would turn it would roll over, but as you can see in my video, I can turn going as fast as I want without worry. The only time it goes over onto it's lid is when it catches too much rear traction and flips backwards.

Yeah them flags are a pain. That open area behind my place used to extend all the way to the street, but someone bought the lot behind me and put up a mod home. Now that its done im gonna pull up all them flags. It was cool when they were digging the basement though, cuz they had piles of dirt everywhere and also some nice ramps for the skid steer to get in and out of the hole. Was a fun temporary bash spot, but now Ive been on the hunt for a new spot with some big launches to see if I can get this thing to land some big air.

@Tjshelton, rraattrroodd, thanks guys. yeah im glad I finally found a setup that works, it was a little discouraging at the start of this Sno-pede build, but since winter is so long here, I was determined to make it work well. Now I just have to tweak the setup so I can do some launches without the truck landing on its rear end. The skis are so light it makes the front end pop up too easily. If they woulda made the ski mounts outta steel it might have been better to keep the front end down, but hopefully I can tune the suspension to take care of this issue.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Baldy all you need now is a pole with an orange flag on it. LOL

I'm still trying to find a Digger skull flag to hang off the back of my truck. Only thing I think is find some skull material and make one myself. I'm not one to go searching through the Material bulks at Hobby Lobby. Bad memories when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Nice work Baldy, Way to bash year round!

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post

I'm still trying to find a Digger skull flag to hang off the back of my truck. Only thing I think is find some skull material and make one myself. I'm not one to go searching through the Material bulks at Hobby Lobby. Bad memories when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
    DiggerPede,

I don't know if you have heard of the rcwizard on youtube, he is building a 1/4 scale grave digger powered by a connoly 609 supercharged (model) V8 engine. He talks about how he found the correct dimensions for his flag as well as how he made it. I believed he went to a sign making shop with pictures and they were able to screen print the skull and bones on the flag for him. Let me know what you end up doing to make a flag as I am looking at putting one on my digger as well...

/threadjack
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
    Nice work Baldy, Way to bash year round!

DiggerPede,

I don't know if you have heard of the rcwizard on youtube, he is building a 1/4 scale grave digger powered by a connoly 609 supercharged (model) V8 engine. He talks about how he found the correct dimensions for his flag as well as how he made it. I believed he went to a sign making shop with pictures and they were able to screen print the skull and bones on the flag for him. Let me know what you end up doing to make a flag as I am looking at putting one on my digger as well...

/threadjack
    Well you guys are in luck cuz ive hunted for the flag before and know exactly where to get em for around 3 bucks:

Mini digger flag for 4 bucks.

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/pro...sp?id=MFJOLL46

http://www.fun-shop.com/16-16236/Sku...rate-Flag.html

http://www.eventflags.com/Flags/Mini...te-Mini-Flags/

I'm trying to get ahold of one of these for my son, gotta find one local though cuz shipping rate would be twice the value of the truck!

Awesome job Baldy. I'm going to have to order a handful of them. It would make for a nice addition.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Awesome job Baldy. I'm going to have to order a handful of them. It would make for a nice addition.
    +1 Thanks for the suggestions, I kinda want mine to be 1/10th scale though. 4" by 6" seems a little large to me.
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

4in x 6in was the best I could find. I just purchased a set of pirate and checkered off eBay. There is a shop a hop skip and a jump away from me but to have them shipped was crazy expensive. If we head that way this summer i'll stop by there and pick some up. Ebay was by far the cheapest for a set of 12 of each. It'll take Digger tons of freestyle before I mess them up.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Are the 2.2 paddles better than the 2.8? I was just wondering if they would stay up on top of the snow better

The 2.2's are 4.3" tall and 2" wide and the 2.8's are 5.3" tall and 2.7" wide. The 2.8's will be better for weight distribution which will help them stay on top of the snow. The reason i use the 2.2's is because i run only 3s lipo and they dont balloon as much. Also, all the 2.2's ive used have never needed to be balanced. If you did decide to go with the 2.8's, make sure you tape them good to reduce the balooning cuz a pizza cutter is no good on the snow. You would also have to balance the 2.8's with modeling clay to ensure they dont vibrate like crazy cuz running on the snow relies mostly on wheel spin velocity. Recently i cut the beads off of some 2.2" sand paws and mounted them on 2.8" wheels with great results. The minimal sidewall allows for almost no balooning and keeps the tread surface nice and flat. Heres what they look like on my 4x4 pede:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!