RC Competitor

Question New radio with telemetry

I am thinking about getting a new radio with telemetry so I can monitor motor temperatures. Since Traxxas does not offer any radio with telemetry, I was considering the Spektrum DX2S DSM 2-Ch Transmitter or Spektrum DX3S DSM 3-Ch Transmitter. I have a several questions that maybe someone with more knowledge or experience can help me out with...
    1. Is there any reason I'd need a 3 channel remote? I'm guessing the Summitt (which I do not own) would require an additional channel...
    2. Will the Spektrum receiver fit in the stock Traxxas receiver box?
    3. Is the RPM sensor difficult to setup/mount in the Stampede VXL?
    4. Do these radio models have temperature alarms?
    5. Is there a better solution than the radios mentioned above?

Thanks a million!
    TookyFL
    Stampede 4x4 VXL | Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have DX3S with Sr300 rx on all my vehicles and the rx fits good. I donīt run the telemetry thing so donīt know all the other anwser, the third channel you really donīt need it all you need is 2ch for steering and throttle.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    I have DX3S with Sr300 rx on all my vehicles and the rx fits good. I donīt run the telemetry thing so donīt know all the other anwser, the third channel you really donīt need it all you need is 2ch for steering and throttle.
    Do you use your third channel for anything?
    TookyFL

RC Champion
    I don't know much about the radios. I'm still on the stock 2.7 that came with my truck years ago. I did read somewhere that traxxas makes there RX boxes extra big to fit MOST aftermarket RXs. If you have any planes on picking up a truck that needs 3 channels any time soon, get a 3 channel so you can use the same transmitter. By the way, the summit uses a 4 channel; steering, throttle/break, high/low gear & locking diffs. My buddy uses the DX25 on his jato and loves it. Ill ask him if he tried to hook it up on an electric truck.
    Shaggy...

RC Enthusiast
    I will say this as someone who has been there done that. Get the 3 channel, you may not need it with this truck but down the road its better to have it in case you need it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The RX's for all the popular brands 2.4 radio WILL fit in the stock traxxas RX box. Ive used them all and they all fit.

Have you taken a look at the Airtronics MT4... its got telemetry as well and alot of nice features for similar money to the Spektrum. I owned a spectrum and didn't like it... its all personal preference though. I LOVE my MT4.

The 3rd channel is generally meant for nitro trucks to activate reverse or run an electric starter system (losi). On an electric truck you CAN use it to turn lights on and off with the proper adapter. I managed to get my Summit to run off the 4CH RX that came with my MT4... but all my other trucks run of 2ch RX's because I have no use for a 3rd or 4th channel.

One nice thing about the MT4 is that you can buy a telemetry sensor kit from Yeah Racing that simply bolts directly to the motor and has the temp and RPM sensors pre-installed. My experience with telemetry is that it can be quite difficult to set up correctly and get everything working. This sensor kit from Yeah Racing makes it as simply as putting a heat sink on a motor and plugging in the wires.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    It's pretty tough to look down at your controller while your driving.. Lol The 3rd channel is needed when running telemetry, but also not very reliable. Losi (among others) sold a rtr truggy with it and seemed to have some issues. You'll also need a 3 channel receiver. If you plan on racing (transponder), or rock crawling (rear steer, winch, shifting gears) get a good transmitter. Another thing to think about with telemetry in a pede is their are a bunch of extra wires that you would be dealing with..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler Chaos View Post
    The 3rd channel is needed when running telemetry, but also not very reliable.
    This is not my understanding. Spektrum sells a 2 channel radio and receiver with telemetry capability. Just as with the standard Traxxas radio, one channel controls the steering servo and the other channel controls the throttle to the motor via the ESC. Telemetry works without occupying a 3rd channel.
    TookyFL