RC poster

Semi-n00b needs help

So here's the deal, I'm a n00b to the nitro RC but not to RC, I have a sumit and a slash both electric. I've always been fascinated by the nitro RC and their engines so I decided to finally give in and get a nitro, even after people telling me not to do it because they are such a hassle. I got a used 3.3 Revo off a guy that had tons of rc's and was just looking to downsize. He kept them well maintained and running great, even took it for a spin with him for about half hour just to make sure it worked. I ran it a few times at home (3 or 4) and did a thurough cleaning of the engine and all parts, wd-40 and all. Next time I tried to take it out it ran for about 15 minutes and suddenly died. It starts when I use the EZ start but the instant I remove it, it shuts down. It only stays running if I have the EZ start plugged in and crank it, I give it gas and it dies 4 feet later. I have reset the needles to factory settings and have all my batteries fully charged. Has anyone seen this before? hope it's something that can be resolved or I might have to sell it and stick with electrical but I have always wanted a nitro.

RC Qualifier
    Try putting in a new glow plug.

RC poster
    Already have, put 2 new ones in already thinking it was a bad glow plug. But it runs it just won't stay running after I remove the ez start

With engines you have to remember four things to make it run: air, fuel, glow and compression. Anytime an engine does not start, one of these components is missing (except in the case of fuel where it could be way too much).
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    With engines you have to remember four things to make it run: air, fuel, glow and compression. Anytime an engine does not start, one of these components is missing (except in the case of fuel where it could be way too much).
    Air: Filter Clean
    Fuel: Full, Needles at Factory Setting
    Glow: Second New Glow Plug
    Compression: The motor is turning if that's what you mean.
    From what it looks like to me it's an electrical issue because it shuts down the instant I remove the ez start, but I could be wrong since I am new at the Nitro. My batteries are fully charged and I have recharged them again the next day to make sure.

RC poster
    So nobody knows why it runs when started with the EZ start controller but dies immediately once the EZ start is removed? Help would be appreciated on this problem.

RC Racer
    Did you receive fuel with the truck? You ran it with him did you use theory same fuel he was using or did you change? Also once the engine is running there are no electronic devices that keep it running it is self sufficient. Try leaning it out as that will make it easier to start but only lean a small amount at a time. Once you get The hang of tuning you will love nitros. More of an art than a plug and play hobby
    If you're faster today, you won't be tomorrow.

RC Enthusiast
    +1 chadillac said it all.

RC Champion
    Ask the Guy that sold it to you for help.

HTC Evo 4G on Tapatalk Pro
    Go Patriots!

RC poster
    I'm running the same fuel he was, he gave me a full gallon of it and I haven't even used a qtr of it. Ill try leaning it out a bit see if that changes anything. And maybe I will go see him if I can't figure it out since he's into it hardcore, I just didn't want him to think I was dumb I guess. Thanks guys, appreciate it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CHADILLAC View Post
    Did you receive fuel with the truck? You ran it with him did you use theory same fuel he was using or did you change? Also once the engine is running there are no electronic devices that keep it running it is self sufficient. Try leaning it out as that will make it easier to start but only lean a small amount at a time. Once you get The hang of tuning you will love nitros. More of an art than a plug and play hobby
    Don't mean to be rude and correct you but, there has to be electronics involved to keep it running, the glow plug. Maybe there's a short from whatever feeds power to the glow plug after the EZ start is removed.
    I think I should look at that too, maybe that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock29 View Post
    Air: Filter Clean
    Fuel: Full, Needles at Factory Setting
    Glow: Second New Glow Plug
    Compression: The motor is turning if that's what you mean.
    From what it looks like to me it's an electrical issue because it shuts down the instant I remove the ez start, but I could be wrong since I am new at the Nitro. My batteries are fully charged and I have recharged them again the next day to make sure.
    What matters is that you have all four within the cylinder itself. Fuel sitting in the tank won't do any good unless it gets pushed out of the tank but even then a clogged carb could prevent it from getting into the crankcase. And the engine can turn over all day but if the sleeve is worn and there is no air/fuel to compress it will not run.
    And for glow, the nitro and metal within the glow plug react to keep it glowing so once it starts it does not need an external power source to keep it going. You may want to invest in a glow ignitor and use the wand to start the engine. That way you can leave it plugged in for a little bit and putt around. And as you mentioned, check the blue wire for any cuts to see if it is grounding on the head. But again, RC glow plugs react with the fuel and do not need any external electrical power to keep it glowing. Follow the blue and yellow wires, they both end at the starter harness.
    The typical symptom of a bad plug is the engine stalling once the power source is removed.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-02-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock29 View Post
    Don't mean to be rude and correct you but, there has to be electronics involved to keep it running, the glow plug. Maybe there's a short from whatever feeds power to the glow plug after the EZ start is removed.
    I think I should look at that too, maybe that's it.
    There is NO ELECTRONICS INVOLVED to keep the engine running. After the engine starts the Glow Plug glows because of a chemical reaction.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

RC poster
    OHHHHH... Good to know, I thought maybe the glow plug worked the same on these engines as it does on diesel engines. Thanks for the clarification guys, I will go over the truck with a fine tooth comb and check it all out. I'll let you know what I find on it. Thanks for the help.

RC Enthusiast
    I had the same or similar issue. I'm not sure if it'll help you but... I had a bad ground wire (yellow, goes to engine mount) got burned on the spur gear. I spliced it and the problem (stalling w/o EZ start engaged) resolved. Coulda been a fluke dude but I was stumped and that little trick solved it.

RC poster
    SOLVED MY PROBLEM!!! It was the blue wire that was kinked right where it runs under the shock mount. I think it must of got cut from one time when the wire was on really tight on the glow plug, I yanked on it pretty hard and it must of cut it when it finally gave. Guess it was shorting out on the chassis, I put some shrink tube on it and it works fine now.
    Thanks NeighborsHateMe looks like we had the same problem, only different. I fixed it last night after spending days going over it, kinda wish I would of looked on here again so I could of seen your advise.
    Double G thanks for explaining how the glow plug works, I do have a glow igniter, just didn't think to use it that way, since I thought they were glow plugs like on diesel cars, I thought it was just to warm the engine for cold days. Now I know.

RC Racer
    Sounds like a fluke bro if the blue wire had a problem it wouldn't have started at all imo
    If you're faster today, you won't be tomorrow.

RC poster
    Whatever it was, it's fixed now and all I did was fix the kink with shrink tube. Maybe it was a fluke but it's gone now and hopefully it stays that way

RC Competitor
    That is odd. I would have guessed glow plug myself. I use WD-40 as an after-run oil and I swear it was killing plugs. I now remove my plug, do after-run, and put an old plug in loosely. When I run I put the good plug back in. I stopped having this same problem. In my case, though, replacing the plug always worked for exactly one session, and then it came back. It is truly odd that fixing the wire that provides power to the plug fixed the issue since the power is not used after the engine starts. Have fun!