RC poster

1 16 summit vxl differential problem

I really need help. my summit is striping the gears in my differential. i have already replaced them in both front and rear but cant get them to stay good. i dont know if someone has bigger gears that dont wear out so easy or something. if you know what i should but in it to make it quit striping please tell me!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The only gears for the differentials are the stock Traxxas gears...

Have you done this:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    i have tried but no success i am not abusive to the truck but cant find a way to keep it from making those clicking noises

If you have properly shimmed the differentials, I do not see how you keep stripping them. Once properly shimmed, they can take extreme amounts of power... some have put 6S voltage to their shimmed differentials without issues.

RC poster
    i probably didnt do it right then

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by summitsquad87 View Post
    i probably didnt do it right then
    Use RC18t shims. They come 4 in a pack. I stripped my front diff within 1 week of running my summit. You need to shim between the ring gear and the bearing. You may need anywhere between 1 and 3 shims. The reason everyone uses different amounts is because every bulkhead is just a bit different in size during manufacturing. When the ring moves away from the pinion under power it schreds teeth. With the ring "meshed" tighter to the pinion it creates less movement.

Dont rebuild again without these shims. When done right it should last a long time.
    Summit VXL - Bash till the wheels fall off!!!

RC poster
    i guess i will try again thanks for the help

RC Enthusiast
    Also check your bulkheads for cracks or anything like that. XTM racing also makes differential shims they come in a pack of 10 for $3. They are 8x12x.2mm part number 148624 i believe

RC poster
    ok thanks again! going to lhs to buy parts today. would i need to shim the back as well as the front?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes definately do both. I only ever stripped my front and when I shimmed my front within a few packs I stripped my rear. Now that they are both shimmed I am good to go. If you make them both really snug just loosen your slipper clutch just a tad to be on the safe side.

Cheers

RC Champion
    i have had my summit for a year or so and never shimmed the diffs. i havent had a problem with tem at all.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

You are one in a few!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    i have had my summit for a year or so and never shimmed the diffs. i havent had a problem with tem at all.
    I would say
    A- your not driving the truck hard enough to strip a diff ( a few simple front flips will strip one of the front diffs easy).
    B- you are the most fortunate owners of a MERV or MSummit. I am yet to meet someone with one of these trucks who havent stripped a ring gear within the first months under general bashing conditions. I stripped my front within a few packs. The rear came stripped once the front was shimmed strong.

In any case your lucky!
    Last edited by Scrivah; 11-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm with you twisted, when I first got the MERV I got it with a spare diff JIC cause of everything I was hearing. I got it when they FIRST came out back in 09/10, so I've had it for some time now. Only issues I've had were a few popped U-Joints from standing backflips lol, that's all. No diff problems at all, and I've recently got a summit that I've been bashing relatively hard as well and no issues yet, just the shocks..

RC Racer
    if you shimmed your diffs and it still runs like its stripping, the housing must be cracked somewhere. The crack allows for lots of flex you wont notice when looking/fealing it. Under power tho a shimmed diff is useless if there is a crack in the diff housing, even if the crack looks like it wouldnt effect performance.