Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: MPH Challenge

RC Racer
    sweet dude! everytime you update it gets better and better!
    my life sucks

RC Competitor
    ^^^ I agree! I have not participated in this thread but I have been following it and I must say I am extremely impressed and awed! I could only wish to have the patience, talent and knowledge to conquer such a task! Good luck, I cant wait to see the final outcome.
    Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3
    I'm a Newb!

RC Qualifier
    Once you DO hit the 100mph mark, are you going to end it in any speed contests?
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

I have a long way to go before I can think about any competitions or speed records.
    Once completed, if it has the potential to set a record I would have to at least try.
    Then again, it may fall flat on its face and end up in little pieces scattered along the road somewhere.
    I’ve though about putting it up for auction once it breaks the century mark (if still in 1 piece) because I know if I keep it, I will push it as far as it can go. It would be hard to just sit it on a shelf and resist the urge to run it all out.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    I agree, I know I couldn't just let it sit.

id push it further and further until the thing lifted off the ground lol.

heres snook in the future lol

there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    I have a long way to go before I can think about any competitions or speed records.
    Once completed, if it has the potential to set a record I would have to at least try.
    Then again, it may fall flat on its face and end up in little pieces scattered along the road somewhere.
    Iíve though about putting it up for auction once it breaks the century mark (if still in 1 piece) because I know if I keep it, I will push it as far as it can go. It would be hard to just sit it on a shelf and resist the urge to run it all out.
    some would jump at a chance to own a nitro that goes 100+, it sure would be nice. i could leave it on my shelf and take it down and dust it off lol and then run it once in awhile.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

I had some time to work on this thing today.

I got the main chassis deck mounted to the bulks and braces, and finalized the steering setup. I also made a small brace from the front bulk to the front of the chassis for a little added insurance.
    With everything bolted together this thing is rigid. I put the chassis (minus the suspension) on 2 wooden dowels centered on the bulkheads and measured the deflection of the chassis in the center where the engine clutch bell and idler gears meet. With 50lbs of weight balanced in the center there was very little deflection. I then put 100lbs on it and measured 1/8th inch deflection which sprung back to 0 when the weigh was removed.

So far everything is going together as planned, but Iím sure I will run into an issue sooner or later. Itís a pleasure not having to work with the flimsy mock-up chassis anymore.

RC Qualifier
    nice snook ;D its coming along beautifully

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    but I’m sure I will run into an issue sooner or later.
    Hey, it wouldn't be a challenge without them
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Can't wait to see this beast all ready to go! I love how clean cut each piece is. GREAT work Snook.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC Racer
    awesome snook thats some work you got there

Bypassing the language filter will not be tolerated.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-03-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: language removal
    my life sucks

RC poster
    cool truck snook!

RC Competitor
    Have you had a chance to weigh it at this point yet
    And what is the length nose to tail

RC Qualifier
    That thing looks mean! Any decision as to whether or not there will be 1 or 2 engines?

In the last pics it weighed in at 5 lbs 1oz. I still have to web the chassis once I get everything mounted to it and determine where and how much I can cut out.
    I will also be swapping the rear bulks to the stock plastic bulks and changing the front
    4-tec suspension to the stock plastic as well.
    The main chassis is 30 inches long; the body will overhang the rear by several inches once complete.
    I will most likely be using 2 BB engines for the 1st real attempts at 100 and then go from there. 2 average BB engine with headers, pipes and engine mounts weigh in at approx 2.5 lbs so they will add significant weight to the whole rig.

RC Qualifier
    Any idea when you'll be able to get the xo-1 tires and wheels?

RC Competitor
    Loving the work mate, i have been toying with a similar idea for a while but have never got around to building it, but mine wouldnt be anywhere near the quality of yours!

Keep up the great work cant wait to see this beast run
    Last edited by RevoReaper; 02-04-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: fat finger syndrome

Lookin good Snook, that BadBoy is gonna fly!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I can hardly wait
    Sweatin' the SMALL stuff!

I did some testing of the chassis with weight attached to it to simulate an 8 lb rig and letting it free roll down a long steep incline to see how the suspension was responding to imperfections and bumps in the road.
    After experimenting with a lot of different spring rates and oil I found a good combination that absorbed the bumps really well but found the front overhang/angle forward of the front wheels to be too long which caused the front of the chassis to be way to close to the ground. 1 good bump or raised crack in the road could cause the front to dig in and cause a disaster.
    Iím re-designing the front with a splitter like design using an on road bumper with a built in angle to help the rig skip of the cracks/bumps if necessary.

Old design: no shock compression, Ĺ inch clearance.

Old design: shocks compressed. If I limited the shock travel so the front had enough clearance from the road the front end got very bouncy.

Front cut and bumper/splitter attached.

The excess part of the chassis that hangs below the splitter will be removed once I determine how/where I will mount the canards.

The body will sit behind the curve of the splitter like in this pic of an old on-road body I have.

I plan on adding adjustable angle Canards on each side of the splitter similar to what the XO-1 uses for down force something like this.

I knew I would run into a few issues to work out along the way.

RC Qualifier
    There is so much thought put into this project, it's unreal. Major props snook.

i might not be posting much lately because ive been busy with other things and what not but im still watching, and this things never lets me down when there is an update, i swear.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Back to the top. Status?
    The Super Derecho

I finally scored a set of XO-1 wheels and tires that should be here by the end of the week (Those things are worth their weight in gold this soon since the release)
    I’ve got a lot of little thing done but have been waiting on the wheels and tires to get some final measurements before cutting the chassis side extensions and a few other details.
    I should get some progress done this weekend if the wheels show up.

Snook,
    Take a close look at most your land speed record machines and your Top Fuel rail jobs.....

Look hoe close those front wheels are and how little nose area they have.... They have the wheels as far up front as they can yet still allowing a wing to help with downforce.....

It's lookin awesome... I see 3 digit speeds in the future.....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

I know what you mean NN.

I purposely left the space in front of the front tires to the splitter just in case I need/want to use the XO-1 front wheels/tires. Iím not too sure of how standard on road foams are going to hold up with the speed and weight of the rig combined so I thought ahead a little and left the room just in case.
    With the smaller on road foam tires I will fill in the space between the splitter and tire.
    If I need to use the larger XO-1 wheels/tires I can remove the filler. I also have a few different chassis side extension template designs that I can modify. If I use the XO-1 tires the 1st triangle portion just behind the front tire will be cut away for clearance. I just have to wait until I get the tires to be sure of the wheel offset and radius of the steering arc before I can finalize the extensions. Iíve been itching to cut the side extensions and have had to make myself wait (7075 is too expensive to just wing it)

I also make a custom brake post to make the linkage from the brake to the servo easier to work around.
    Itís about ĺ inch taller than the stock post and itís a straight shot for the linkage to clear the top of the transmission without any bends. I positioned the hole for the arm off center so that when the brake is applied the arm will be parallel at full pull. It should come in handy for a standard Tmaxx direct throttle pull setup as well.

I have a few more surprises up my sleeve but they are not presentable just yet

RC Qualifier
    Might wanna add a set of wings because that thing is going to fly.

RC Qualifier
    this is a great build and good luck to you

At lastÖ

Nice set of wheels and tires, their a little heavier than I though they would be and have really dense foam, but rated for that speed I guess they have to be. Very well balanced out of the package as well.

To the work bench I go.

RC Competitor
    They nice lookin wheels there snook, what do they weigh?

I know the XO-1 is for "experts" but they would have to be well balanced from factory as alot of people that only run for fun arent on forums, or know about balancing wheels unless their LHS knows about it, but they would have access to the XO-1. Unbalanced wheels at that speed would be fun....

Any ideas on what tyres you will run on the front?

RC Racer
    nice build man but hurry up i wanna see this beast run.

Those are the XO-1 front tires/wheels; I haven’t received the rears yet.
    140 grams each, the rears will be a little heavier.

For the front I intend to use standard On Road wheels and foams. I know they will hold up at 80mph, hopefully a little more.
    If not I will use the XO-1 fronts.

RC Competitor
    theres a bit of weight there to get moving, but could be worse i spoze

I'd be more inclined to go for the XO-1 fronts, it'll be a little extra weight, but can only hope that will help keep the front down a bit once you get to the higher speeds and a bit better contact on the road at the speeds your after. But then thinner tyres will reduce rolling drag......its a hard one
    Last edited by RevoReaper; 02-23-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: aussie slang = swearing

RC Qualifier
    I saw a video of an electric speed attempt, and he had to cut out the body just about the tries because they acted like fans at such high speeds. It caused the car to flip over at about 105. Point being not to forget about all the air underneath the car

I ran into a little issue with the rear end setup when installing the XO-1 wheels with the old style 2.5 axle carriers.

The inside of the XO-1 wheel has supports that angle quite a bit inward toward the carrier and cause the supports to hit the carrier.

Without altering the wheel (almost did) or making new stub axles and shimming the hex away from the carrier (which I didnít want) I had to bevel the 2.5 carriers much like the 3.3 spec carriers. Using the TRX splined hub with the modified carrier it has just enough clearance and my wheel base is back where I wanted it.

Modified axle carrier left Ė Stock right. I will probably take a few more mmís off the carrier for extra clearance. Once the wheel bearings get a little slop in them the extra clearance will help

Carrier, 17mm splined hex and 6mm UE drive cup. With ceramic bearings installed and a good spin by hand, the wheel will spin for a couple minutes without the dogbone installed.

I also got the chassis side extension plates mounted to the main chassis. Now I have to layout the design and cut away some perfectly good 7075.

I mounted an electric motor to mesh with the idler block temporarily to test the drive train at high speed on a bench. All I can say is WOWÖ Those tires spin really, really fast.
    Drive train worked flawlessly on the bench. All dogbones spun true and there was very little vibration. It was a lot louder than I though it would be though. The whine from the gears was pretty intense, but I kind of liked it.

RC Racer
    No test videos?
    1/10 Slash 4X4 VXL
    1/16 E-Revo VXL

RC Qualifier
    test it! video
    Im young. And im Learning.

Everyone is so impatient...they want it done now! He still has to cut out the chassis he's going to use. At least he is giving us regular updates of it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I just meant of the electric test he just did. I can wait to see the full test and I bet it will be worth the wait to see this thing scream down a track
    1/10 Slash 4X4 VXL
    1/16 E-Revo VXL