Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: MPH Challenge

RC Racer
    i dont remember are you gonna use different tires for the rear? the maxx stockers seem to balloon at speed.
    my life sucks

RC Champion
    Yeah he's not going to use those, just for mock up.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,NEVER GIVE UP!!!

RC Racer
    anything new? update?
    my life sucks

I did a few test runs while the forum was down and ran into a few issues that need correcting.

I added a few braces to the mockup chassis to stiffen it up, made a temporary engine mount for a .28 and used Kevlar fishing line wrapped in the grooves of a pair of old siped chevron tires to test run this thing.

The 1st issue is the transmission. With the 2:1 spur gear/clutch bell ratio (18/36) I’m hitting 3rd gear way too soon. I will need to find a higher rate spring for the 3rd gear clutch and maybe even the 2nd gear.
    I had the same problem when I 1st made the 3 speed with standard gearing but was eventually able to find a spring rate that worked well. With the gears I’m using for this build the primary shaft and clutches are basically spinning almost 2 times faster than they normally would and engaging that much sooner.

2nd issue is the rear suspension and the angle of the rear arms and wheel shafts. Without the body there wasn’t a problem but once I added it the down force compression squats the rear pretty quickly. I will have to stiffen up the spring rate and shock oil.
    Since I narrowed the a-arm length, at full compression the angle of the wheel shafts are pretty severe and within just a few runs the shaft joints heated up enough to melt/wear the plastic stock shafts to the point they would have failed within a few more runs.
    I’m going to add a spacer block between the chassis and bottom of the bulkheads to reduce the angle at full compression. I need about ĺ inches for the arms to be slightly above parallel with the ground at rest and just slightly below parallel when compressed.
    That will make the angle of the rear diff input drive cup pretty severe to the rear dogbone shaft so I plan on removing or modifying the rear diff collar so I can rotate the rear diff input down to reduce the angle.

3rd issue is the body itself. I placed myself to where the rig would pass by me at the fastest speed I could get in the parking lot before I had to let off and apply the brake.
    As it approached I could see the body sides and top panel moving pretty violently and a couple of the seams came apart after a few runs.
    Without a substantial amount of bracing inside the body I made I just don’t think it will survive very long.
    So now I’m going to make a mold out of wood and have a custom body vacuum formed out of standard lexan. I will be able to add more contours that will help add rigidly to the body and end up with a lighter weight body in the long run.
    The rear spoiler which is a separate piece and adjustable seemed to work great and with the bracing I already have on it seemed solid and stable.

I have a lot of work to do, but that’s what winter builds are for.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

trial and error, thats what its all about man. you didnt by chance film this did you?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

No video, but I did have a gps strapped in it. As far as the numbers I'm going to keep that to myself for now, but I was smiling when I had a look at it. It was more of a mad scientist laugh than a smile

awe come on snook, we all know your a mad scientist and are going to reach your goal one way or another in the end. and we all know what that goal is as well. how about this......... did you break 75mph?
    Drag It!

It's been a while since I've read the entire thread. Would it be better to use a solid link between the arms and shock tower rather than a shock or would it cause it to bounce too much when it rolls over the imperfections?
    The Super Derecho

realistically on a 1:1 dragster they dont have a suspension on them, but with the small scale im thinking the best bet would be just stiffer springs with heavier oil like snook said already. since its kind of hard to make a smooth course for something so small.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Definitely weave some kind of suspension in there, I agree with Graves, run something really stiff.

Life is rough, God is good, let's go.

With a high profile tire with some side wall flex, no suspension may work ok but with the wheels and tires I intend to use there will be only about 3/4 inches of high density foam(like an on road car would use)on the wheel. It would probably be too bouncy/stiff to keep good traction without a least some suspension.

RC Champion
    How heavy will this thing be approx.?

RC Qualifier
    I think he said somewhere it was like 7lbs. Could be wrong though
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Racer
    so did you atleast break 75? 80?
    my life sucks

RC Champion
    Give it up guys, he's not telling

Short stiff springs, heavy oil to match. With this, pretty sure you want as little shock travel as possible but a little probably would help with the terrain.....

Looking forward to seeing this go further, and if anyone can do it... I'm pretty sure Snook can....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    If Snook can't do it, ain't nobody gonna be able to

Life rough, God is good, let's go.

[QUOTE=1979chevy.;4991486]Give it up guys, he's not telling

but i wanna know lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=08kgraves;4991515]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post

but i wanna know lol
    Haha same here man, so do I.

i would say with his setup he could have seen more than 65 for sure just look at it and he has done alot so far to it.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

More changes.

After the test runs I made I saw that this thing has some really good potential to go fast. I started looking at the ISC rules and regulations and found that the only thing I needed to do to fall within the rules of the IC open class was to narrow the rear width to under 11.81 inches.

I made another rear end that totals 11.5 inches from the ends of the stub axles just in case I ever wanted to challenge the record which is 117.56 MPH. That would be a tall task, but you never know
    Depending on the wheels I use that should keep me within the rules and still allow just enough for body clearance of the tires. I can’t cut the a-arms down any more or there will not be much left to screw the pivot balls into. I’m comfortable where they are now but any more taken off of the lower arm would weaken it in the pivot ball thread area.

I also was able to use a dogbone and drive cup setup for the wheel shafts. I don’t need or want much articulation of the rear suspension (probably only 2 inches total, 1 inch up/1 inch down from horizontal) so this setup should hold up rather well.

I’m probably the only person that ever wanted a narrow rear width on a Tmaxx suspension.
    Now I have to make some stubby rear toe links...

Maybe I'll make a 12th scale TMaxx some day
    Last edited by Snook Man; 12-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.

RC Racer
    I am thinking a single leaf spring that mounts to the lower shocks mounts and rest on the bottom of the bulk heads. It would control jounce and rebound all at once.

It would be hard to control the bounce a leaf type spring would have without shock absorbers.
    Plus I need to limit the suspension travel and a pair of shocks/springs would be easiest way.

yeah wit a stock style shock you could easily just play with the spring and oil thickness then put fuel tubeing both inside and out around the shaft for the limiters.
    Drag It!

More changes:

After getting a quote for the price of 2 custom foam tires mounted on pair of custom cut wheels (I supply the wheels) I have decided to go in a different direction. I could not see paying the high price for just a set of mounted foams.

Seeing how the XO-1 tires are rated for 100+mph I have decided to use them (should be available from the chop shops soon).
    The problem that creates is the difference in gearing that will be needed to make up for the smaller diameter tires.
    I was planning on using 6inch diameter tires, the XO-1 tires are 4.29inches in diameter.
    The difference in theoretical speed between them with the same gearing is approx 28mph.

To gain that speed back I would need some massive clutch bells or a much smaller spur gear.
    The clutch bells would need to be 1/8 scale mod 1 26T which are not common even if they exist somewhere.
    I figured the spur would be the easiest to change to a smaller tooth count. After some calculations using common 17 or 18t clutch bells the spur would need to be 22T to get the correct ratio.
    So how do I mount a little 22T spur on a slipper clutch??? I didnít

Seeing how it will only be run on smooth pavement and Iím not going for a fast ET, I really donít see the need for a slipper.
    With the slipper removed I rummaged through 100ís of gears looking for a simple solution to mount a gear to the transmission input shaft.
    I found an RRP aluminum reverse primary gear that I had already modified previously for an input shaft 2nd gear set. All I had to do was install the pin in the input shaft, slide the gear on the shaft to engage the pin and use a nylock nut to secure the gear.
    It will also allow me more room around the spur for the 3 geared Idler block needed to change the rotation of the engine output to the spur gear.

I knew when I modified that reverse primary gear I would eventually use it for something

Now I will need to re-think the rear suspension with the smaller diameter tires it never ends

snook have you read the last word in the title lately? lol you can do it though man. we all know it.
    Drag It!

It’s really not about the initial challenge to me anymore. I’m pretty confident I can bust 100 sooner or later, but I want to have/make a rig capable of doing it routinely and to see just how fast I can ultimately make it go.

RC Racer
    Enough with the teasing already!Show us some vids...

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Itís really not about the initial challenge to me anymore. Iím pretty confident I can bust 100 sooner or later, but I want to have/make a rig capable of doing it routinely and to see just how fast I can ultimately make it go.
    I would say with what you have created already you can more likely build something to reach around 125mph give or take a few more like a few more than that. when its done i'll be ready to see the vid of it going 100mph.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Keep up the good work Snook. I can't wait to see this thing fly by at 125.
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Qualifier
    was just thinking have you thought about a front scoop at the front of the body at the nose with a channel that shoots air into the carbs? i know you said you dont want to get too drastic but i know you said you want it to continue to work. the small channels dont have to be big and you can make them out of plastic tubes kinda like straws.

heres a crude picture of the situation

hahahaha, nice fluxcapacitor tev
    Drag It!

I took the picture as this: the red represented the car and its course, the arrows are trees and the flux capacitor as the explosion and I thought, that's not nice.
    Then I looked further and saw what it really was. Me --->
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Double G;4997452]I took the picture as this: the red represented the car and its course, the arrows are trees and the flux capacitor as the explosion and I thought, that's not nice.
    Then I looked further and saw what it really was. Me ---> [/QUOTE

LOL HILARIOUS! i added the flux just for fun but i was just thinking about ventilation without much added drag and better handling like a front spliter but im also wondering if it will add lift and flip the rig like gymnastics on the high bar!

RC Racer
    Any progress?

Iíve been busy with the holidays but did get started on the idler block between the clutch bell(s) and spur gear.
    Iíve been experimenting with different types of gears and bearings to see which will work best. Since the mesh between the 3 idler gears will be non adjustable the shaft spread pattern is critical and the holes must be exact. It took me 2 attempts to get it as perfect as I think it should be and the gears spin nice and smooth with just enough lash.
    Iím going to order some new gears and flanged ceramic bearings for the finished version.

The radius cutouts in the front plate are for clearance of the clutch bell(s)
    The rear pate will attach to the aluminum transmission mount/chassis brace and the bottom of the unit will have a 6mm thick aluminum bar that attaches to the front and rear plate and can be secured to the chassis.

The idler block and transmission mounts/chassis braces will bolt together as a unit and attach to the chassis plate and rear bulkheads. The transmission will drop into the mount and attach with through bolts through the chassis.
    Slotted holes on the idler block back plate and bottom plate will allow for some adjustment of the top idler gear and spur.

I also figured out a way to add a 4th gear in the transmission if needed

That extra space is all I need to add the gears needed for a 4 speed. Iíll save that idea for a rainy day.

RC Racer
    Hey snook, I like the tranny design, I have been thinking about your intake design and how their have been lots of suggestions of possibilities, what if you left the top completely closed, or as closed as you could get it and created an intake off the bottom of the chassis, kinda like what is used in the X-01. Many high performance vehicles use this to cool the brakes on vehicles, they use tubes to channel the air directly at the brakes. You could use a tube to channel the air right at the filter.....just another suggestion. to keep the body more aerodynamic
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    Snook....You are Insane! 4th gear? thats crazy! I have no doubts that you will be able to reach "atleast" 100mph if not more.
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    nice snook

RC Racer
    i really want to see him with a rainy day right about now! a four speed would be insane! i want to see it soooo bad!