Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: MPH Challenge

RC Racer
    hey snook...maybe this will help ya http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?t...product_id=228

RC Racer
    Ill drop my two cents in here. The chassis i assume you are making yourself. If it is just a flat plate with holes it can be done on a cnc plasma. I operate one in montana. Havent cut out a car chassis but i have cut alot more intricate things than it could ever be. Can cut aluminum stainless titanium etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Ok, nice.
    But what have you done to your chevrons man?
    Does cutting them like that help that much?.
    Old school siping. Us old timers did it to increase side bite with the chevrons.

Quote Originally Posted by davidemaxx View Post
    i have a suggestion
    maybe a scoop?
    I will use a scoop only if needed to increase air flow to the cooling head or carb intake. The less obstructions on the body = less drag/resistance.

are you going to use exhaust deflectors with this project?
    Most likely will use a deflector or position the pipes so the spent fuel does not get on the rear tires. (Those pipes are just for mockup)

Quote Originally Posted by minime View Post
    The chassis i assume you are making yourself. If it is just a flat plate with holes it can be done on a cnc plasma
    You assumed correct
    I have made/cut a few chassisís in the past. This one will be a piece of cake compared to this one.

I will keep you in mind on future builds though.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    You cut that chassis? Can i Buy it? lol
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

Quote Originally Posted by 2010450x View Post
    You cut that chassis? Can i Buy it? lol
    Yes he did, and I'm pretty sure he won't--unless the price is right. That truck is in another build of his that started with the 3-speed tranny.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Maybe,you should use straight pipes like the ones from extreme rc.That way,there won't be any issues with the oil spewing on to the chassis and tires.Will look cool too,with the exhaust shooting out the back for the torpedo you're building.

RC Racer
    Snook I am totally impressed with your skills. I am just wondering at what point does a wedge shape acts like a wing. The air has to travel faster over the top than under the car thus creating low pressure on top. Have you thought about trying to make some vacuum generators to suck the car down to the road. I am thinking with your abilities that should not be to difficult. The other thought I have vortex generators. The best example is a golf ball, the dimples keep the air from adhering the the ball, thus letting it go further. Same thing on helmets of high speed open air athletes like cycles and skiers, the vortex breaks the tension of the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankdg View Post
    I am just wondering at what point does a wedge shape acts like a wing. The air has to travel faster over the top than under the car thus creating low pressure on top.
    Not sureÖIím just winging it But if you look at all the Top fuel and funny car bodyís they all have the wedge shape. I think it is a balancing act between how much air goes over the top and how much is allowed under the bottom. Plus the wing or spoiler creates a huge amount of down force on the rear( the spoiler also creates more drag than a wing). Testing with the leaf blower head on at the body, it visually pushes the chassis to the ground both front and rear until the body actually touches with a soft spring setup. Once I get the ride height set with shock limiters I can then trim the body so that it will stop about an 1/8th inch from the ground at full compression (or just let the asphalt wear it away like a lot of the on road guys do)
    The body material is actually dimpled on one side, not nearly as drastic as a golf ball but I did use the dimpled/textured side out just in case.

I did do a couple tests with the leaf blower on and raised the front of the rig slowly with a string. When the front wheels get to about 2 Ĺ inches off the ground things go bad real quickÖ My biggest fear will be hitting a stone or debris at high speed and the front lifting up enough to catch the air needed for a blow over.
    If you have ever driven any on roads in a parking lot at high speed and hit a small stone you know what I mean.

RC Racer
    im just thinking why not use a push broom and sweep the road before you run on it? i know it can be alot of work but its worth it to keep it on the ground!
    my life sucks

im just thinking why not use a push broom and sweep the road before you run on it? i know it can be alot of work but its worth it to keep it on the ground!
    He's got 2 leaf blowers, attach them to a little red wagon and pull them with a TMAXX

Snook's not going to use a broom, hey will come up with some gadget to take care of it if I know him well enough
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    How about a jet dryer trailer like they use in NASCAR?

RC Racer
    thats a good idea! i like your thinking!
    my life sucks

RC Racer
    Do you think Snook has a turbine or two laying around?

RC Racer
    maybe strap a leaf blower or an rc turbine to a trailer/wagon?
    my life sucks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    He's got 2 leaf blowers, attach them to a little red wagon and pull them with a TMAXX

Snook's not going to use a broom, hey will come up with some gadget to take care of it if I know him well enough
    Snook is the modern day Macgyver.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,NEVER GIVE UP!!!

i think i would have to agree on that chevy......... snook is one of a kind, but thats why we like him
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    whos heard from snook in two days?
    my life sucks

RC Racer
    I have this image of the mad scientist so immersed in his work that he looses all sense of time and place. I am waiting for the news reports of a freak lightning storm in Georgia that is centered of his house or a large unexplained explosion.

RC Racer
    hahaha +1 on that!
    my life sucks

RC Competitor
    how about a new name THE MAN instead of snook man!
    if not the tmaxx its the 99 cobra

I have this image of the mad scientist so immersed in his work that he looses all sense of time and place. I am waiting for the news reports of a freak lightning storm in Georgia that is centered of his house or a large unexplained explosion.
    You mean like this? I kinda picture Snook in this way sometimes.... He's one savvy guy!!!

Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    I am assuming that is a beaker of his super secret 75% fuel formula.

i know before he was out doing something for work. i imagine thats probly what hes up to again lol. when i was giving the racemaxx a diet he had a list of a bunch of part weights i was waiting on.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    Oh I can't wait to see this built finish I've been gone for quite a while what happened to your other built..
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

Yea Iíve been out of town again working. Got to pay the bills and buy parts
    The wife does call me Einstein sometimes, but only because I always have some project going. E = mc2Ö

The other (Falcon) build is completely disassembled and all polished up with a coat of wax just waiting on a power plant.
    Iím patiently waiting to see what the gasser engine from HPI looks like, or what Traxxas may have in store when they make the release.

Got a weeks vacation coming up should get some progress done then.

RC Racer
    I have been paying bills today also. I have to work on the 1:1's to pay for the toy. Plugs, wires, power steering pump and rack & pinion on a friends van. Atleast I think she is a friend, her van hates me. Maybe because I have been telling her to get rid of it for 3 years now.

Since the engine(s) and tranny will be reversed with this build I have been fooling around with the throttle setup for both single and twin engines.
    This seems to be the best solution for both. I would just need to move the bellcrank to run a single engine mounted centered on the chassis.

It’s just a mockup on an old chassis but works quite well and is easy to adjust with just the threaded rod connecting the 2 throttle valve arms.
    The only drawback is if the clutch bells are changed the rod would need to be shortened or lengthened between the throttle arms to accommodate the adjustment of the engine for the mesh.

Now to figure out the brake linkage

Last edited by Snook Man; 11-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That design looks so simple and efficient, yet i would have never thought of it lol. One more point for Snook Man. I cant wait to see the finished car.

I had some time to tinker today.
    I think this will be close to the final layout as far as servoís, fuel tank(s) and such are concerned.

I cut up an old set of aluminum chassis braces to make a rear bulkhead to chassis brace. It should work well once I make the chassis a single plate and everything in mounted on the same plane. Just about any small fuel tank will fit between the brace and the edge of the chassis.

I also cut a few templates to see if I could mount a single engine, 2 small blocks or 2 big blocks without changing the chassis. If I make an engine mounting plate for twin engines it should be no problem with either scenario.

Now that I have settled on the layout I can order up some aluminum and start the actual build.

snook........ did i ever tell you i love you? but in a non creepy way lol. more like i love your knowledge, abilities, and willingness to help people
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    i second that im new to the site and snook has helped me countless times and this build is like a fairytale in which only in a world of magic could i ever think of building something like this but now i want to try lol. keep up the good work snook

RC Enthusiast
    Ditto on that guys ! Snook inspires me to go farther than i thought i could! i knew nothing about nitro until i got my t maxx this june 2011, over the last 7 months i heave learned more about this hobby than i ever thought possible. i read these forums everyday, and absorb all the info. these build threads Rock!!!!! great help for guys like me still learning, and reaching outside the box! hat's off to everyone on this forum!!!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Almost makes a guy want to call him Snookums! Now enough of that mushy stuff. I am looking at the set up and wondering what type of starting system you were planning to use. I dont think you want to mount anything to it since it would add weight.

RC Racer
    Snook Man,just 1 question.HOW THE H#LL do you think of these things?

I am looking at the set up and wondering what type of starting system you were planning to use. I dont think you want to mount anything to it since it would add weight.
    I use this contraption on occasion.

It will allow me to start an engine with just the starter shaft sticking out of the backplate. Itís just a standard 12mm Hex OWB fixed in a socket on a flexible spring shaft. That way there would be no OWB to rob any power and it would lighten the load.
    It will depend on the engine and if an internal starter shaft can be used or not.
    I really donít want to try and make it a starter box system due to if I use a small or BB engine(s) the positioning of the flywheels will be entirely different and too much of the chassis would probably need to be cut away.

Iíll cross that bridge when I get there.

stallion,

They just pop into my head and I just go with it
    Trust me, there are a lot of things Iíve built that did not work as planned that you guys have never seen

Snook,
    I've never seen anyone think of using the OWB in a socket and just put it on the backplate like that..... Extremely clever idea....

Every time I see a post I an very curious as to what you are coming up with.... Very smart, and thanks as always for sharing your ideas....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    That is very neat. Too bad there is not room on the T-maxx for something like that.

RC Racer
    The thought just occured to me that I forsee someone(maybe yourself) using your ideas to make one bad T-maxx. I would call it the T-Maxx-XX, XX being Xtreem Xperimental

RC Qualifier
    That would also be called the TMuggy. Which he has a build thread on here about lol.

RC Qualifier
    that owb setup is so simple its stupid to have not of thought of it! i feel like slapping myself im so using that on my old mini buggy with a .5 on it thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!