RC poster

Smile Installed The New Picco P-Max .21 in the T-Maxx

Bought the new Picco P Max .21 for the T-Maxx. It's supposed to be a drop in for a T-Maxx but not quite! Sure the exhaust, clutch and pull start fit but the chassis plate holes for the motor mount had to be slotted to get the clutch bell gear forward closer to the spur.

Then the end of the crank hit the transmission housing stopping the clutch bell gear from lining up with the spur. I had to grind the trans housing so the engine could move further forward. Now the crank has a few thousandths of clearance to the trans case and the gears are almost perfect. It will take some crank grinding for a perfect fit. If I start to loose spur gears... I'll just have to cut the shaft.

Other than that it was a smooth install. Had to work with the throttle linkage adjustment to get WOT, but that's the easy stuff.

Grinding the trans housing for clearance.

I did some more slotting and filing after break in... not to bad now.

This is the adjustable BUKU clutch. I installed the stock clutch for brake in as I wanted just to focus on the engine and not trying to get this clutch adjusted at the same time. After a gallon I'll install the BUKU (darn thing was $60 lol)

I love the low profile head that barely exits the body. It should also keep a lower CG.

Running the first few tanks after the Traxxas style break in with TRX Top Fuel for it's high oil %. Soon switching to Byrons 25% - 9%. I have the THS tuned pipe on the way also.

What size CB are you using? Did you use the OFNA motor mount?
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    Sweet video. Looks like it runs great. Have always wanted the
    .21 in mine but just can't part with 270.00 bucks. Might have to pull the trigger and do it anyhow
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Racer
    Is the picco .21 suppose to be better than the force .28, the claimed power is the same.

RC Qualifier
    That looks like a lot of fun.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    What size CB are you using? Did you use the OFNA motor mount?
    Nitronaught I'm using the stock trx bell (22/58) It comes with the motor mount in the box. Not sure it's the OFNA mount that easily strips the threads, but so far so good after three or four test fits. Maybe you can tell in the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    Sweet video. Looks like it runs great. Have always wanted the
    .21 in mine but just can't part with 270.00 bucks. Might have to pull the trigger and do it anyhow
    Thanks! It was just shy of two. You can PM me for details if you decide to go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by TRoy9696 View Post
    Is the picco .21 suppose to be better than the force .28, the claimed power is the same.
    That I don't know but their www says it has the same power output. Maybe so but without the gear shredding torque the BB's have. What I do know is the p maxx .21 will fit the standard t-maxx chassis (with slight modification)

Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun.
    Yeah they are fun aren't they. My 3.3 (4910) is a little screamer also, love driving anything nitro!

RC Racer
    the .28 has more torque but with less rpm , I'm in the same boat as most ,I want one for sure but its a lot of coin but I guess the only advantage is the fact you can get away with the stock exhaust and airfilter .
    I have the .28 in a 2.5 revo and had to get a trinity clone and a motorsaver for the best performance.

RC Racer
    The .28 jl fits with no modification at all. I put mine in a short chassis and didn't have to shave any thing off the tranny. Also found that the .28 actually has more rpms. I read that the .21 was so you can still use the easy start. The .28 has too much compression.
    Last edited by TRoy9696; 04-05-2014 at 12:38 PM.

RC Racer
    has anyone tired to bolt up a ez start ,not that I want/need too just curious

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman242 View Post
    I'll be installing the EZ start soon. I'm getting tired of rushing to install the body/clips so the motor doesn't load up. It actually idles great without loading and starts on first or second pull. I'm just getting old & lazy I guess lol.

Installed the BUKU Speedtune Clutch. Man this thing is pretty cool! I was able to adjust it on the fly (three hex screws accessible on the edge of the flywheel) for on demand wheelies, then tightened it up for slower engagement at takeoff thus keeping the front down, which is great for the track. Acts like an adjustable low/high speed stall torque converter in a way.

The BUKU clutch with shim pack to get the correct clutch bell end play.

Installed the THS header and tuned pipe. This system is larger than the stock TRX and really opened up the mid & top end performance! The Traxxas TRX pipe was good for bottom end grunt but weak in the mid to high RPM range. The Picco still has more than enough bottom end torque. It also sounds a good bit louder than the TRX pipe

If you look at the flywheels edge (under the exhaust pressure tubing) you can see the # 2 adjustment screw for the BUKU

Last edited by RedXray; 04-09-2014 at 01:56 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman242 View Post
    Just finished... It was a pain in the butt!!!!

The EZ Start motor wouldn't line up because it was hitting a couple cooling fins and the THS exhaust spring. Rolled the spring away and drimeled two cooling fins BINGO finally got it to fit. Then I couldn't access the top motor mount screws on the EZ start side. Since I slotted the chassis and had to add washers for the mount It's a hassle removing the engine with the mount. I cut off an allen wrench with a short L so I could fish my way in and tighten the engine down. Picco advertises this as a "drop in" with the EZ start bolting on. I like the power but if I had to do it again... I'd definitely went another route with the money.

I thought the tight pinch and compression might be to heavy a load, but the EZ start turned the Picco over with no problem.

You can see the drimel work on the cooling fins. I do Like the easy access to the glow plug/wire

RC Racer
    when I ran ez start on my rb tm523 I poked the blue wire through the cooling head holes so it wouldn't get damaged in a stack.i ditch the ez start cause I burnt out 3 motors and stripped 2 gear sets before going for a pull start and a push-glo