RC poster

Upgrade nitro rustler to 2 Speed?

How do i upgrade rustler 3.3 to 2 speed? Is there an aftermarket add-on or do i have to adapt transmission from other model?
    Does the 2 speed help speed much?

RC Champion
    I know theres some videos on youtube. Search for jato 2 speed tranny in rustler. People have used jato trannys. Theres no adapter or kit to do it. you would have to buy the tranny and drill some holes in the chassis. I think you have to make different motor mounts too so the gears mesh. You also will have to trip the a arm mounts and cut some plastic away from the tranny. From my understanding, its a good amount of work but can be done. Where your running a 3.3, i think it would give you similar speeds as a jato probably topping out at 70ish depending on gearing but im not sure. Good luck
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    thats a good video i have it saved on my pc, but the jato tranny is the easiest ive seen so far to transfere into a nitro rustler a good amount of mods but very do'able
    road rage its not just drivin its a blood sport

RC poster
    Thanks for sharing that. That is a nice video. Its all clear to me now. I imagined that it would be easier to do. I think that ill look into getting a jato tranny and trying it though.

RC Qualifier
    its very possible i have the jato 2 speed in my rustler. with a .26 dynamite. very fast! still having tuning problems tho. ive actually been using a old chassis and drilling holes in it to find a way to maybe fit a savage 3 speed tranny in any truck but seeing if my big bad rustler could take it. and i wish i could run mine against urs shaggy. my rc club here in florida there is only 2 guys running speeds similar to me. one is running a jato 3.3 all decked out and a guy running a serpents 811 cobra-t1 ahaha which is a bad *** car.
    Im young. And im Learning.

RC Champion
    i still want to see pics of this rusty you talk about.. what kind of speeds are you runnin with that engine and 2 speed anyways?

RC Champion
    I might be going down to FL in March but not sure yet. Money troubles might hold me back. What part of Fl are you guys in?
    Shaggy...

RC Qualifier
    south florida. st lucie county. fort pierce buddy. aha

RC Qualifier
    and about 82 with the 2 speed and .26 i could push more, but tune is off due to this terrible wether. and i use my ipod to post. computer is being fixed.

RC Champion
    Nice man. Must have some good acceleration too.
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    82 with a .26 and a 2speed?.. my single speed 3.3 is still hittin 88 with room to lean it out some.. i just feel like beein able to get more that 6 or 7 tanks of fuel off of a glow plug thats also why im switchin to a turbo button head and plug they run generally 35 degrees cooler

RC Champion
    Im just going to keep my truck how it is. The cost of a BB, mounts and 2 speed could get me another project to work with. She goes fast enough.
    Shaggy...

RC Qualifier
    yeah i really dont need to push faster than 60! I mean i dont race even though its light enough to race. and all the people at the local track are really only pushing 65-70 and they all run jatos and HPI MT2 g3.0's....ahah but definitiley gonna try to hit 90. maybe race a lil bit.

RC Champion
    GBGENOCIDE-->ur rustler should have been pullin 60mph with just a 3.3 and a stock jato pipe! do you even know what ur doin with that thing?? not to insult you, but nothin you say fits! AHA with ur supposed big block and 2 speed tranny you should be able to hit 60 while draggin a brick behind it..LOL.. im sorry but ima have to call you out i dont believe you even made that rusty actually i think personally you took ideas from people in this forum and acted as you did them urself..as a matter of fact everytime someone asks about puttin a 2 speed alls you can say is that it is possible no tips, pointers, or how to's. AHA

RC Champion
    and not it gets interesting lol
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    LOL shag.. nah i dont mean to be mean, but either he needs to pic post up or shut up.. ill eat my words if he puts a pic of that thing up. well if its his that is, but in the meantime ima stand by what i said.. oh shag man i just regreased my tranny i used that dow 55 in my rusty i didnt know it was a paintball gun grease and some machine grease my old lady grabbed me from her work for my emaxx.. its a 110 both nice grase from what i could tell while addin, weathers been pretty bad here so i havent been able to go out break in my other 3.3 and test it hopefully i will soon i still have 1 1/2 quarts of fuel to burn off LOL just ordered 2 new glows i was thinkin my season was over till i found that fuel in the back of my rc cabinet LOL

RC Champion
    Let me know how it all works. I think a 110 grease could be to heavy but im not sure. You didn't get the dow 55 from a paintball store did you? They will rape you on the price.
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    nah i got it at the local hardware store.. i think it was 5 bucks i cant remember for a 12 oz tub

RC Champion
    Not bad. it would be $20 of a 6oz at a pb store lol
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    i just found the receipt $9 for a 12 oz tub.. so i guess that still aint bad both trannys seem to rotate real smoothly i left the differential alone in the rustler i cracked it open and everything looked real good, the oil had good consistancy, while i had it cracked open i decided to dye it black to match the rest of the rusty.. i tell ya what man i am really impressed with these ceramic bearins my stockers were dead the first time i cracked it open.. these newer ones have about 3 gallons on um now and are still like out of the package new.. it was just expensive for a box of um $120 and i think i only got 15 maybe 20

RC Champion
    I would love to get them but thats allot of cash for me. I really want the pede 4x4 for my next project so i'm not going to spend much on my rusty over the winter. I plan of finishing the rear end w/ jato shafts, fresh stock bearing, rpm camber and hub carriers. I also need a new servo saver and front suspensions pins. Then my rusty will be in perfect condition for when the good weather comes back around. I also just picked up a nice canon video camera so that set me back $400. Its a $700 camera but was refurbished. The good news is my next rc video is going to look so much better in HD.
    Shaggy...