RC Champion

Question HPI X-Pattern D-Compound Tread Life on Rally???

How long will they last me on a mixture of 7.2 nimh and 3S lipo?
    I'm hoping over 20 runs...
    Or what tire would you recommend for medium levels of grip and long tread life for on-road?

Thanks for your help!
    Look, I'm Ken Block! ... Ow.... My head hurts...

RC Champion
    as a general rule it works like formula 1 the softer the tyres they'll wear out faster
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    as a general rule it works like formula 1 the softer the tyres they'll wear out faster
    Yeah but how hard are these?

RC Qualifier
    I ran a set of the pre-mounted x patterns on my MERV, I dont remember exactly but i know i got way more than 20 nimh packs thru it and thats on a rough asphalt surface. On my stang I get more than 20 packs on the stock gymkhana tires on the same surface and most of that is drifting. I cant really help you with a tire selection, its really a matter of how you drive, the surface, the time of year (hot summer asphalt will wear them quicker) and your set-up. Your best bet is to try a few different tires (look for ones on ebay or r2 hobbies, much cheaper) I would reccomend like with a 1:1 car that you rotate the tires every couple of packs to keep the wear even
    Last edited by Skitlerz; 10-28-2011 at 06:14 AM.
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Qualifier
    The D's will be perfect for what you're looking for... Tho at 3s speeds you might want to look into the belted version (not sure if HPI makes em in D or only the Pro).

I've been running the D's off and on since early this year... Have become my go-to tire over the 4tec for their nice and progressive grip. Easily way over 20 packs – let's call it six months of regular use of at least a couple packs a week in this configuration. Used for gritty off-roading for a while, now exclusively for high-speed handling on regular (abrasive) street pavement. They are also really good in the wet.

Might try Pro for the next set for a comparison on grip but definitely recommend the D's for all-around use.

The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    The D's will be perfect for what you're looking for... Tho at 3s speeds you might want to look into the belted version (not sure if HPI makes em in D or only the Pro).

I've been running the D's off and on since early this year... Have become my go-to tire over the 4tec for their nice and progressive grip. Easily way over 20 packs – let's call it six months of regular use of at least a couple packs a week in this configuration. Used for gritty off-roading for a while, now exclusively for high-speed handling on regular (abrasive) street pavement. They are also really good in the wet.

Might try Pro for the next set for a comparison on grip but definitely recommend the D's for all-around use.

Thanks! I'll tape them for 3S then. What voltage have you been running?

RC Qualifier
    8.4v 2s on 28/45 (haven't tried the 31t yet)... probably 35mph-ish? Don't see any ballooning with the standard D's at those speeds.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    8.4v 2s on 28/45 (haven't tried the 31t yet)... probably 35mph-ish? Don't see any ballooning with the standard D's at those speeds.
    OK thanks. I'll tape them just to be on the safe side