Thread: 550 vs. 380

RC poster

550 vs. 380

Just bought a Fiesta with the brushed motor and the XL-2.5 ESC. I would like to eventually upgrade to a brushless system but Iím confused about the choices. I've read a lot of forum posts but that gets me even more confused.

Iíve read that the Velineon brushless system is faster than the brushed system but Iíve also read that 370/380 motors are too small for this size car and only good for 1/18 scale. I can definitely see the advantage of going to the Velineon, just from a weight standpoint Iím considering upgrading. Iím sure the handling is much improved with less weight up so high.

Iím leaning towards a Novak Mongoose Micro Pro system, according to Novak it for use in 1/18 and 1/16 cars and it comes with a 380 motor, but Iím still confused about the motor size. Can anybody explain this to me? Much appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    the velineon 380 brushless motors do good for powering the car and is faster than brushed. but a 1/18 esc can handle the the demands of this car. most people who run 2s or one stock pack find the a 1/10 sidewinder esc works wells and has low temps or the stock esc for that matter. people who run 1/10 brushless want lots and lots of power and torque. but the average the stock velineon system works good. ive been running a stock brushless esc and motor in a REVO and a rally and have had no problems
    MERV VXL + Rally VXL + Stampede Xl5

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The stock VXL 380 powers this platform beautifully.... it is the ESC that is undersized.
    ANY 1/16 ESC will struggle to keep up with demand (including stock)... anything smaller WILL FAIL.

Keep the 380 sized motor, just feed it with a 1/10 sized ESC.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    You'll find the Velineon 380 largely sufficient, just get a sidewinder SV2 for it and you'll be quick enough, that's for sure!

RC poster
    Sounds like a 380 with a 1/10 esc is the way to go. Thanks for the input guys. Anybody notice a handling difference between the 380 and the 550, or is it all about the power?

RC Qualifier
    the 550 motor will reduce the handling because it sits a little higher and is heavier thus it will raise the center of gravity but how much i couldn't tell you but alot of people still are very willing to trade that off for the standing back flips and all other sorts of power games you can play.

RC Champion
    If you have the 550 motor now. Step up to the 1/10 brushless. It will mount in the same holes as the 550 brushed will. With the VXL3s esc it should be more than enough power for the plarform. You would possibly never use all of its potental.

RC poster
    My new Fiesta was delivered today - been looking forward to this for a while now. Anyway, in looking it over, I opened up one of the battery compartments and what do I find inside, a warning that states the following "WARNING Do not use a Series Connector (#3063) with this model's electronic speed control (ESC)."

I haven't seen anyone has mentioned this before in this forum, actually exactly the opposite, I've read of quite a few people running hot or even burning up esc's or batteries. This sounds like it may be a new warning from Traxxas.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    BRUSHED editions have this warning. The BRUSHED XL-2.5 ESC can only handle up to 9.6V DC.
    BRUSHLESS editions can "handle" the extra current/voltage with the better VXL-3M ESC.

Did your model come with the 380 brushed motor or the 540 brushed motor?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    BRUSHED editions have this warning. The BRUSHED XL-2.5 ESC can only handle up to 9.6V DC.
    BRUSHLESS editions can "handle" the extra current/voltage with the better VXL-3M ESC.

Did your model come with the 380 brushed motor or the 540 brushed motor?
    i dont think the rally ever had a 380 brushed motor in it. i think the only models to the the 380 brushed were the early slashed and merv.