Diff fluid change QQ

Ok so i cleaned(?) out my 2 new diffs and loaded them with some 125k fluid. im not getting the locking action i was expecting, i know theres a fair amount in there because my on road turning radius sucks now lol, but if i get one in the air it just spins away and i loose momentum while trying to crawl. Im willing to try again, what is the best way to get the gears clean so that my 125k isn't getting diluted by whatever 30k is left in there.
    Or should i be looking higher than 125k?
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    id been using 50,000wt in my diffs. There not locked but pretty close, trak up heaps better, u notice the improvment right away.

Now im using 20,000 in front 50,000 in the rear. doesnt roll over round corners as much, drifts round dirt corner heaps better coz the front isnt almost locked.

Cleaning. man just take the blue o rings off and clean with degreaser and a tooth brush! after that wash the cleaned parts in soapy water. soapy water seams to get all that degreaser off. dont want degresser in your clean diffs.

RC Racer
    hey when you say 125k you mean 125,000. if so thats got to be some gooie fluid, id say that will lock ya up. also people have been using silly putty to lock diffs.

ya 125,000wt someone recommended 100k, but the lhs didn't have any 100k in stock so i went with some losi 125k

RC Racer
    try heavier oil man. if ya do, let us know what u use and how it goes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have read that someone used 500k.... it was just what he was looking for.
    Almost 100% lock, but would give before something broke.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    I have 100k in the diffs and yes, that doesn't make much difference for crawling & climbing. I still get the "wheel in the air spinning while wheel on the ground not moving at all" thing. The only difference is that now I have larger turning radius, so to sum it up 100k pretty much still sucks for crawling and it just makes normal driving worse lol

I think, and what I've read from others, you need something around 500k for crawling & climbing and even that doesn't fully lock the diffs. I may try something around 400k if such diff fluid exists at all, but not in the near future because I really don't want to disassemble the entire truck again just to change diff fluid...

picked up some Ofna lock lube (10230) today from the lhs. gonna pack that into my 2 spare diffs and see how they go.

what a oooey gooey sticky gross mess. and i don't think i used much of that stuff at all. not sure im gonna try that again. do not know how to go about packing the difs without making an enormous mess. gross.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I don't get much mess at all...
    I can clean up with a Kleenex tissue after filling both differentials.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

i cleaned it all up with a Kleenex or two with the 125k but this Ofna lube lock is nasty. it rips Kleenex... lol

OK so i finally got the 2nd diff done but i have a small issue. after filling both with that ofna snot i have one that feels looser. I'm NOT opening those up again unless i have to, should the looser one go to the front or rear?

When i say looser i mean it feels closer to the 125k diffs vs the Lock lube one. i put a driver in and it can spin much easier than the locked one which hurts my fingers to spin.

RC Racer
    id put the looser one in the front but that would be if i was bashing on a track.
    if i was using it for climbing id prob put it in the front man. Lil trucks front end gets light up steeps stuff, more locked up the front end the better id think in theory. Even when ur a bit jammed in a rock crawl sitch, that bit more bite up the front might help ya get over that obsticle than if you had the loose one up the front? What ya rekon..?

RC Racer
    Is there anyway someone could make a short list of different oil weights (maybe five or six) and wright what each weight is good for. I understand the theory behind oil weights on shocks, is it the same idea for diffs? I'm about to rebuild mine and I'm not sure what weight to put in it to meet my needs. I just thought a little list might be nice. But if there's another way to do it than that's great to.

i was thinking the heavy one up front. i have other trucks to bash with so i think i may as well go pseudo crawler on this one since i already have the truck. saves me going out and buying an axial or whatever.

RC Racer
    yeah do it Cameron, let us know how it runs man. I have heavier in the rear and lighter in the front and for bashing its pretty off the hook, has more of a rear wheel drive feel to the truck and less roll over. With the heavier diff in the front, if u could put a little weight in the front of the truck, man it will climb up anything i rekon. I was pretty impressed how good it climbed with just 50k in the front and back (tranny flipped-23pinion).

Arcaptainic, without going into a write up coz i just aint that good and im lasy.
    The greater the number oil, the heavier/thicker it gets. Sorry man if i do a right up like that ill just confuse you more, im not the best at explaing stuff like that.

RC Racer
    ChaosRR, or anybody, that makes sense and it helps but I have one more question. As far as climbing and crawling goes, does the mini summit get better when a heavier oil is used?

yes the more lock the better. nothing worse than just about getting there and having all momentum lost because one wheel looses touch with the ground and all the torque goes to that wheel. For crawling you almost want full lock. it just messes you up for normal driving and cornering.

RC Racer
    so would a 50K weight be good for all around. I do some climbing, light/moderate bashing. I'm not to rough on my rig. The worst thing that happens to me is cartwheels when I corner to fast. I was thinking 50k might be good verses the 30k in the front thats stock.

50k should be decent for general use.

RC Racer
    idk about all that oil and stuff i would stick with silly putty if i was you guys i have it in me front and rear and i swear by it. It works great for crawling and getting that locked feel but still allows some slipping so it still works for bashing. Also its easy to deal with, you can reuse it if you take it out, and it is sooooo cheap. Over all i think that silly putty is the best for the diffs on the mini summit