RC Racer

New Summit owner needs advice

Been looking at them for awhile and finally have one on the way. I've done a little searching but was hoping some of you guys might be able to fill me in on what mods need done right away. I'd also like to know what MERV parts will and will not interchange with the Summit. This is just going to be an all around basher and will be run on 2s and 3s batteries.
    My way is like the wrong way....only faster.

RC Competitor
    Shim the diffs mine started clicking after 2 runs and put the holes in tires if u plan on water runs and the toyz makes a heatsink fan combo its not a must but helps

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Diff shimming:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead

Parts that are exchangeable: (with MERV)
    Front arms
    Knuckles
    Rods
    Electronics
    Chassis
    Screws
    Hinge pins

Parts that exchange, yet are different:
    Rear arms (better drive line angles)
    Axles (seem to be stronger)
    Rockers (Merv's have lower ground clearance/less travel)
    Gearing
    Tires
    Body mounts
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    drive shafts... stock ones will break. i havent found a good replacement as of yet but been using merv shafts as they are cheaper.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I've read that with some arm modification the Traxxas "x" shafts work great.

They solved the popping out problem by shaving a little off the length of the arms. This put the shafts further into the drive cups. I believe this gentleman had adjustable rods too.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Drive shafts like twisted said. I ran my brushless mini summit with dual stock batt's in series and tore the pin out and through the plastic on the drive shaft from sheer torque. I'm not sure of a better replacement either. One thing I have noticed on my summit is the shocks. These mini's really need some heavier weight oil in the shocks and stiffer springs. The last thing I think it needs is a fan on the motor or at least a heat sink. If your planning on running the LiPo's I would check into that right away.

RC Racer
    3S. you might aswell just deposit your cash into my bank account, coz throwing your cash away is what your going to be doing. Especially with a stock truck!
    Traxxas CVDS!!! the BOMB!!! check my 'from oh no to oh yeah' thread, look at the cvds and arm mods! Like i said somewhere before. While running the tranny stock, 50-23 gearing on 2s 2000mah lipo, went out to do some high speed bashing. I destroyed so many parts in the few times i run it round in flat stick mode, all except the CVD's! many many cart wheels! plus they are rebuildable. all ive ever done is clean them

RC Enthusiast
    The top two things you can do IMO is

1- Shim the diffs they WILL strip on the ring and pinion.
    2- Change the stock knuckles as you will start to notice a crazy amount of wheel slop. I changed over to RPM knuckles as I like their products but you can also do aluminum.
    3- Change out your stock plastic shockbodies to aluminum ones with threaded seal cups.
    I said 2 things but these 3 will save you a ton of problems.

Hope this helps

Other than those two main things
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 10-28-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Link to retailer, rule #11