RC Enthusiast

Best way to take the "slop" out of my steering

Looking for some advice, i have made a few more mods to the mini and for the most part im still loving the truck, but i have noticed more and more "play" in the front end.

I have new aluminum gpm knuckles arriving today and i have already done a dual servo upgrade. I have also converted to MERV axles up front.

any advice or tips on how to tighted up the front end? Do you guys think the new knucles will do it?

The knuckles will take most of the slop away. Getting stiffer tie rods also helps. Best upgrade there are the GPM steel ones IMO.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Do you have steel hollow balls yet?
    That removes most of the slop after a decent knuckle installation like the GPM's.

I have not found any slop in my rods... they bend/flex (stock), but only when they are being forced... if they are being forced, there is binding in the linkage somewhere. I personally like my stock rods... the flex keeps other parts from breaking; including themselves.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    steel hollow balls, steel adjustable pivot caps or aluminum knuckles.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. I dont have the stell hallow balls yet, but ill add it to my list. Hopefully the LHS has some when i go pickup my knuckles today.

RC Enthusiast
    So got the new GHR hubs in and completed the MERV axle swap up front. Got about 20 min of bashing in before i fried one of my servos, cracked an a-arm and did something wierd to the rear end, it sounds like i have a MAJOR slip in the rear diffs but i will have to break it down to find out.

On top of all that, my ESC went to crap and now it will only turn the motor at about 20%. It acts like it went thermal but i dont have any indicators of it over heating....***.

any way here are some shots of the latest build, and now its off to the parts stor to get it running again....

here are the MERV and summit shafts SBS

Broken summit shaft:
    http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...-54-14_889.jpg

and now the build:
    [url]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/NeaceFam05/2011-10-14_19-04-26_791.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...74.<br /> jpg
    Last edited by NeaceFam05; 10-17-2011 at 11:16 AM.

ESC still does this after servo has been unhooked and after a shut down-restart?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, i have actually tried it with both servos unhooked and the motor disconected from the trans to ensure there wasnt any binding. I have also reset the receiver and the ESC. I went through and tested each of the 3 run modes on the ESc and got the same results on all of them.

Its like their isnt enough power making it to the motor. I have not gotten any thermal warning lights, but i did notice that when i tried it on lipo i got the low power warning even though i had a freshly charged pack in.

Call Traxxas... 1 800 Traxxas... or is it 1 888??
    They can help... possibly even replace.

Found it: 1-888-TRAXXAS (1-888-872-9927); outside the U.S., call 972-265-8000
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 10-17-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correct information found

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!

And these have to be atleast 10 characters long so here is a longer thank you!

RC Enthusiast
    The knuckles will take out about 90% of the slop. The stock knuckles are pure crap after just a few runs. I changed over to RPM knuckles and they took out all knuckle slop.