RC Competitor

nearly new slayer tranny making popping sound

Well, my new slayer developed "one of them noises" yesterday...After running for a couple hours, I went to put my slayer in the truck bed, and rolled it backwards, and it acted like it was stuck in gear. It let loose after just a second (just as soon as i realized something didnt seem right), but now, when i roll it backwards, everything works as it should, but there is a faint popping sound coming from the tranny. it is still running great, and nothign seems to be affected, as it only does it when the spur gear and tranny spin in reverse. Is this common with the slayer tranny? should i tear into my new tranny?
    2 TMaxx 3.3/TMaxx 2.5R/Slayer Pro 3.3

RC Racer
    The popping and binding are most commonly caused by a mesh that is too tight. The slayer does make a little whining noise when rolling backwards but its not loud. I would closely examine your engine mount and screws

RC Competitor
    Chad
    I checked all the screws and mounts immediately on discovering the issue, and all is well with them. The sound is coming from inside the tranny....I could understand having too tight of a mesh from the factory, before it has worn in a little, but how could it tighten after use??? Seems to me like if anything, it would loosen under useage. It makes the same sound (the little whine) as my tmaxx when i roll it backwards, only there is a faint click/pop that was never there before. it only bound once, and for just a second, then came right back out, and has made the pop sound every since. However, as i have rolled it backwards quite a bit trying to figure it out, it seems like the pop is getting more and more faint. I am wondering, if, since it acts fine when driving, and i dont have reverse, so it shouldnt BE going backwards, should i just ignore it and chalk it up as "just a sound my truck makes"???
    Last edited by bronzzhorse; 10-13-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: improper wording

RC Racer
    Yea if it seems to be going away then i wouldn't worry about it. The reason I said motor mount is because the slayer is known to have problems with them. A good wack to the side of the engine while bashing could have shifted the motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CHADILLAC View Post
    Yea if it seems to be going away then i wouldn't worry about it. The reason I said motor mount is because the slayer is known to have problems with them. A good wack to the side of the engine while bashing could have shifted the motor.
    Ok, good. I'm just gonna keep on trucking, and if it is something that needs addressed, it will inevietably show itself soon enough!.. I DONT bash, EVER, so it wasn't a hit...(not that bashing isnt fun, I just cant afford to fix all the stuff that bashing breaks) I would rather run flat race tracks, honestly, and drive them like formula cars on dirt...lol... that or hill climbs... most of the tracks in my area are flat ovals, or flat (off)road courses, or hill-climbs, so thats pretty much all my options are anyways (other than my "slowly coming together" course at home.) I'm rambling now... thanks for the advice!!

It shouldn't pop. Check the clutch and any/all pins holding the gears in the tranny and the driveshafts. There is a OWB inside the transmission that will cause everything on the engine side to spin when the truck is pulled backwards and you will hear the sound. The tranny freewheels when pushed forward so it does not engage the spur gear/clutch bell.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I found out what it is.... apparently, I DID take some sort of decent lick yesterday, because this little guard on the tranny (slipper clutch guard??) is pecking on the slipper clutch plate, but ONLY when it is spun backwards..... cheeky huh??

I know this is what it it, because i pried it up off of it with at small flathead, and it quit immediately...maybe something Traxxas should be made aware of?
    Last edited by bronzzhorse; 10-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.