RC Champion

Balance tap extender anyone?

I have buying and using the traxxas lipo batteries with much success. I have 4 now,a 3s 8400,a 3s 4000 and a pair of 2s 7600s.

The only issues I have is with charging. The balance board on my charger is short as well as the ones on the battery. The main charge lead is plenty long enough to get deep down in my lipo sack but with the balance taps plugged in I can barely get them in the bag.

Does Traxxas or anyone make a JST-XH (electrifly, traxxas, ect) M to F extention for 2s, 3s balance taps?

Also I have been reading about a 2x2s to 4s tap coverted that would allow me charge and balance My 2s 7600s in series. My charger will only go 8 amps but up to 6s. I read in a magazine article that traxxas is making some kind of adaptor that will allow charging dual 2s or 3s packs with thier new lipo charger. Maybe in series or parallel.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 10-12-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

not much help because I can't give you links but everything you need is on ebay. as for charging pep charge both ways series lets you see each cell. parallel you need alot more than (8 amps), you double the amps if you are charging two batts.. so a 7600 mAh 7.6 amps X 2 = 15.2 amps for 1C charge rate..

Pm on the way...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    I seen your PM lots of good information there on parallel charging and balancing.

I do think I have found a traxxas solution:
    http://traxxas.com/gallery/Accessori...LiPO-Batteries

It looks like twin 2s output and appears to be 4s input (I counted 5 slots= 5 wires= 4s). That would make it really easy as it had the main leads and balance wires 4s in and 2s out of one box.

Not on tower yet so I will call traxxas tommorow to get a price and see when it is available.
    Pay It Forward.

I don't think that will solve your "kurzheck" or short-tail problem. trying to jam two short balance taps into that device is asking for trouble with those small wires. As 87 GN mentioned, there are a few vendors on auction sites that sell 20mm extensions. I use them for balancing while charging (leaving 2S and 3S extensions in the charger or balance board) and for the LVA mounted in my Summit.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yup, hit up ebay and search for 'jst-xh extension' and you'll find plenty of vendors, lengths and cell counts.

As for charging a pair of 2s packs in series, I'm curious if the traxxas item is actually a series or parallel adaptor- doesn't say which is a little worrying. Most 3rd party adaptor boards are parallel adaptors, or they only charge in series through the balancer wires; 8amps through 22g wires = just say no...

I'd track down Hugesbob as he makes and sells such items to your requirements, or follow the instructions on BrianG's site:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

5th section down- pretty straight forward to make your own really if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can buy everything you need from ebay or any decent r/c electrical website ( good list of electrical parts sites on my website under the useful links page )- just a couple 2s balance leads, a single 4s balance lead or connector, and a series harness with 4mm banana plugs & a few zipties.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    Yup, hit up ebay and search for 'jst-xh extension' and you'll find plenty of vendors, lengths and cell counts.

As for charging a pair of 2s packs in series, I'm curious if the traxxas item is actually a series or parallel adaptor- doesn't say which is a little worrying. Most 3rd party adaptor boards are parallel adaptors, or they only charge in series through the balancer wires; 8amps through 22g wires = just say no...

I'd track down Hugesbob as he makes and sells such items to your requirements, or follow the instructions on BrianG's site:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

5th section down- pretty straight forward to make your own really if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can buy everything you need from ebay or any decent r/c electrical website ( good list of electrical parts sites on my website under the useful links page )- just a couple 2s balance leads, a single 4s balance lead or connector, and a series harness with 4mm banana plugs & a few zipties.
    I talked with traxxas today. It is a series plug. I fear there may be just too much to go wrong with series balance charging batteries. I think I just might stick with parallel charging if needed buy a bigger chargers. There are some out there capable of 20-30 amps. Also as the main leads are parallel it will balance the batteries to each other. I too don't want to think about 8 amps through 22 gauge wire. Also with a parallel charge I can charge batteries of different capacities as they will charge (amperage in) relative to thier size. All thier voltages are the same.

I got in touch with an ebay vendor that has a bit of everything I need. I am thinking a few 1 male to 6 female parallel 2s adaptors and some 2s and 2s extenders.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 10-14-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Dynamite product # DYN5019 9inch extentions should work for you.