Thread: Homemade Fuel

RC Racer

Question Homemade Fuel

I currently have a slayer pro, and that I am converting to a slayvo with 3.3 . I am thinking of making my own fuel I have read that it is a mix of methanol and oil, I have heard that their are pros and cons to using synthetic and castrol oil, unfortunetly I am unable to get nitro as it seem that you can only get it in very large quantities. Also I realize that running 0 nitro with leave me with a reduction of power but also means running cooler temps so I could lean the motor out a bit more. Has anyone tried doing this? Thanks

My understanding is that there is three ingredients for fuel: methanol, oil and nitro. So if you get zero nitro, then you don't have fuel.

http://www.rchobbies.org/understanding_fuel.htm
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I disagree, nitro is only required for top performance, and Im pretty sure I have seen 0% nitro from the store, because usually you see 10 20 and 30% nitro.....Im not to sure what will happen. Once I get the mixture down I will put in the beater car to test

0% fuel runs fine in a nitro engine. You just wonít have the same pop/power as a fuel with a decent nitro %.
    I never saw much difference in engine temps with 0% compared to 20% so donít lean it out just because. As always tune for performance and use temps as a gauge. You will want to experiment with head shims and plugs using 0% for the best results.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

I admit I was wrong.
    The Super Derecho