Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    i have a slash 4x4, and owning it and bashing it very hard over a year now the only damage i have done was some stripped pinion and spur gears, one bearing has gone out, and a bent shock shaft
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Enthusiast
    2WD will make you a better driver. Then if you step up to 4WD later you'll be tough to beat on the track. If you start with 4WD, it can mask some driver deficiencies.

RC Racer
    I cant say anything about the 4x4's I have not driven one, but I do love my 2wd!

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=2FST4GM;5266975]2WD will make you a better driver. Then if you step up to 4WD later you'll be tough to beat on the track. If you start with 4WD, it can mask some driver deficiencies.[/QUOTE}]
    exactly . it forces you to learn how to drive , i think it also makes you a tuner too .

RC Champion
    Newb post!

I bought the 2wd for the challenge. That extra level of skill to drift through the turns.
    More fun to bash with too.

As mentioned, less maintenance and parts to break, more run time, higher top speed on anything but short dirt straightaways.
    I am planning on getting a 4WD as well but thinking more along that lines of a summit for that.

RC Qualifier
    Racing.

Every track around here has a Stock Slash class and they're big. No one has a Stock Slash 4x4 class and the 4x4's out of the box are competitive in the Open 4x4 class.

We also have a Stock Slash oval class using Latemodel bodies as well.

RC Champion
    I didn't even know I had a slash or what it was until I started doing research on the Traxxas F150 Raptor that I bought. That was how I got started with the hobby last Christmas...now I have 12 cars lol. I love this hobby
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC poster
    I bought the 2wd in early July because there was less to break, then bought a backup in case I did break something. Haven't even taken the second one out and run it yet. The first one has been a tank. The body is a bit scuffed from turning itself over from the torque when nailing it. I did eventually buy a 4wd, but a different brand. I compared a Slash 4wd and the other brand and saw that brand X drive train was designed way better, in my opinion. Like a lot of people have said, get a 2wd for just going out and having fun and a 4wd for racin. Just my 2 bits.
    Daryl (cwmoss)

RC Qualifier
    I got the 2wd because it was a lot cheaper. Its more aftermarket then traxxas slash now but I still love it. Its much harder to drive then the 4x4 but looks way cooler when driven well, IMHO.

Now I'm onto an e slayer build that should eat the slash 4x4 alive.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I bought mine because it was simpler to work on, it had a tougher drivetrain, and more importantly it was a bit faster because it didn't have as much driveline to go through.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slash1987 View Post
    2wd for bashing 4wd for racing

4wd pulls like a boss on a dirt track and much better speeds and better control through corners.
    2wd on road blows the 4wd away for speed and controls fine on pavement,slides out on dirt during turns at highspeed
    Maintenance wise the 4wd will have you spending more time,2wd is simple and very tough I beat on mine very hard
    Here's the deal. My son has a slash 2WD. I bought a Stampede 4x4 and converted it to a slash 4x4 to remain competitive with his slash 2WD in my back yard (I made a track with a bowl turn, double-double and huge double jumps. Both cars have proline gladiators with renagade wheels. The stampede 4x4 (now converted to slash 4x4) can keep up and is easier for me to drive, but upgrades and repairs are killing me and seem to be much more than I have had on his slash 2wd. At this point I'm thinking of selling the stampede and getting a slash 2WD. Maybe will will be racing these things at real tracks in the future, the way things are going now, but I would like opinions on if you think I should cut my losses and get a slash 2wd now before sinking more upgrade costs into the stampede.....thanks in advance

RC Champion
    My first 2wd Slash was given to me on my birthday, it had a brushed motor. I had driven my son's 2wd and a friends 4x4. My friends 4x4 broke a lot, gears, axles etc and ran HOT!
    Since my son's 2wd did not seem to require a lot of repairs, I elected to have a 2wd.
    The 2wd was a little more difficult to drive at first but practice made up for it. I finally went brushless when the brushed motor gave up.
    I now have 3 ea 2wd Slashes and one 4x4 all are brushless....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I just sold my last 4x4(Except my crawlers) off three days ago, and was happy to see it down the road, I just cant have the fun I do with the 2wd's. I have nothing against them, even enjoy watching them race.
    I had been contemplating turning the last one into a GT-8 speed run truck, but even this can be achieved with a 2wd.
    Both are very enjoyable, I just cant attain the same wow factor with the 4x4 as with the 2wd.
    It's all just personal preference in the end, we all enjoy different things.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast

Picture of my Stampede 4x4 converted to a Slash 4x4, beetle body, proline gladiators, other upgrades, getting out of control.
    Last edited by kcollins812; 08-27-2013 at 05:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I got the slash 4x4 because there is a lot more you can do to customize it/fix it and then I got the 2WD from a friend. I love the 4x4, and I also like the 2WD, but my vote is for the 4x4! Many more cool things you can do to Jazz it up!

RC poster
    4x4 is kind of a rip off compared to 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by rc_driving View Post
    4x4 is kind of a rip off compared to 2wd
    Don't know why you would say that.
    I like the 2wd better, but fail to see how the 4x4 is a rip off, especially when the price difference seems to become less all the time, for the 2wd vxl anyway.
    I sold my 4x4's due to a lesser fun factor for my personal likes, this nevertheless means others wont enjoy the 4x4 more for their purposes, Their just two different types of fun.

Wow, this thread has been brought back from the dead, twice!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    I'm enjoying the read .....I like hearing about this comparison ....I have a 2wd and been thinking 4x4 so finding this interesting in deed
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    I had a 2wd and sold it for a 4x4 lcg, they are nice trucks, but honestly, nothing put a bigger smile on my face than the 2wd....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC poster
    I only ever had 2wd, ( going back to my Tamiya Hunter!). So researching the Slash vxl I never gave 4wd a thought. 2wd's are way fun to rip around and can really teach control and patience . I purchased 3 slash trucks, my vxl , and 2 brushed for my boys... Their first real rc....put a track in the back yard and my boys are well on their way to controlling these trucks like champs using the throttle to turn the truck.. Love the slash 2wd!!

RC poster
    I wrestled with this and got a 2WD for two main reasons.

1. Easier to maintain. I heard the 4WD needed a lot of care and feeding. I'm very hard on 2WD and I get just enough tinkering with it to keep it interesting. Any more and it may feel like work.

2. I think they're generally faster. If driven properly you can beat a 4WD in a race. At least that's my opinion. Mine hauled out of the box. If I started tuning it up I'm not sure if I could control the speed it generates unless I really sharpen my driving skills. So its a challenge to drive (well) and I like that.

I also saw a 2WD vs. 4WD truck pull. The 2WD pulled the other truck around like a small dog. Seemed to generate more power than 4WD.

Good luck!

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-05-2013 at 08:02 PM.

RC Competitor
    i got the 2wd because of the price at first, but like many of these people it ends up being more fun than the 4wd cuz its a challenge. it makes you a better diver for any type of rc car once you have the skill

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymartin View Post

1. Easier to maintain. I heard the 4WD needed a lot of care and feeding. I'm very hard on 2WD and I get just enough tinkering with it to keep it interesting. Any more and it may feel like work.

2. I think they're generally faster. If driven properly you can beat a 4WD in a race. At least that's my opinion. Mine hauled out of the box. If I started tuning it up I'm not sure if I could control the speed it generates unless I really sharpen my driving skills. So its a challenge to drive (well) and I like that.

I also saw a 2WD vs. 4WD truck pull. The 2WD pulled the other truck around like a small dog. Seemed to generate more power than 4WD.

Good luck!
    I wouldn't say they're easier to maintain. I have a Slash 4x4 and my friend has the Rustler and he does way more then I ever do to my car. I never clean it, never wash it, never fix anything and it just keeps on going. I know I'm mean to my truck, but hey, it isn't called a truck for no reason! I also don't agree with it being faster really, it all depends on the motor, ESC, wheels/tires, Batteries, traction, suspension, and there are so many more factors too! I race my friends rustler and I lose by a small amount because I have 2.8" tires and I have the front diff and front axles making it more heavy. I use the stock setup and he uses the Castle SCT 3800kv setup and it's still neck and neck! Look at the XO-1, it's also a big beast and it's 4x4. With that towing competition, again, it rests on all of the factors I said above. If the 4x4 is using the stock tires and the 2wd is using the Pro-Line snipers, chances are that it'll pull it forever!

The Slash 4x4 is a great truck. I love it 100% and I think it's great fun for off-roading, on road, jumping, and so many more things. I bought it and wouldn't look back. There are so many things you can do with it, you'll never be bored! You can also clean it and fix it when you are bored, I mean it doesn't need constant cleaning and attention.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-05-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: modified quote

RC Qualifier
    Very much so. Stearing under power takes alot more finesse with the 2wd. I wouldn't trade either my 2 or 4wd's I love em both for different reasons..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2wd slash and a p4de. I love them both! P4de is better off road, but equally just as fun to drive as the slash.

RC Racer
    I have both. Both are great trucks!

RC Competitor
    Less parts, less can go wrong, less money to spend keeping it running. 2wd offers more challenge to drive. I do wish I had the 4wd chassis with the mid mounted motor configuration, maybe the rear engine contributes to the baja bug bodies.

Most importantly I got 2wd because my real truck is 2wd.

RC poster
    Well I like, my 4x4. The 2wd is what, i take out to defeat and get dirty and go insane with because it has less areas to get dust, and sand into. I have improved, the engine in my Reduce to a kovak SC 3.5.

RC Racer
    the slash 4x4 is awsome!

I've got say owning both now, I like the Slash 4x4 more. Both are great, but the 4x4 is easier to drive. The 2wd is better for doing donuts though!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I've got say owning both now, I like the Slash 4x4 more. Both are great, but the 4x4 is easier to drive. The 2wd is better for doing donuts though!
    This is true, the 4wd is easier to control but this is what endears me the the 2wd.
    For me just about everything except speed runs is more enjoyable with my 2wd's.
    Its nice that theirs something for everyone, I do enjoy my scalpel.

RC Racer
    Bought the 2WD Slash rather than the 4WD to complement my all terrain, do it all 4WD Summit. Wasn't sure I needed a 4WD Slash when I could take the Summit over everything.
    Last edited by Dementor; 10-17-2013 at 11:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My decision to get a 2wd was influenced very heavily by the people who had rc's before me at the track close to my house. The difference in the attitudes of the 4wd vs 2wd drivers was huge. The 4x4 guys just wanted to win, it didn't matter how, they just wanted to be first. If this meant smashing into the faster guys truck and taking him out, thats what they did. The guys running 2wd were all about clean racing and running the fast lines. Thats what really attracted me to the 2wd. Where as the 4wds would try and take each other out, if the 2wd trucks made contact, they'd wait up for one another to keep drifting side by side and set up passes by running different lines. The 2wd guys would always be happy at the end of the day, conversing over a good few laps of side by side drifts or someone finding a new spot to set up a pass. The 4wd owners on the other hand were usually arguing by the end of the day about who broke who's truck or who's grossly overpowered 550 was faster. I just fit into the group of guys who ran 2wds and I'm glad it ended up that way because now I'm faster than the 4x4s anyway. And that seems to ruffle the feathers of the guy who just spent more money on a motor and esc than i did on my whole truck. 2wd ftw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Building Boost View Post
    My decision to get a 2wd was influenced very heavily by the people who had rc's before me at the track close to my house. The difference in the attitudes of the 4wd vs 2wd drivers was huge. The 4x4 guys just wanted to win, it didn't matter how, they just wanted to be first. If this meant smashing into the faster guys truck and taking him out, thats what they did. The guys running 2wd were all about clean racing and running the fast lines. Thats what really attracted me to the 2wd. Where as the 4wds would try and take each other out, if the 2wd trucks made contact, they'd wait up for one another to keep drifting side by side and set up passes by running different lines. The 2wd guys would always be happy at the end of the day, conversing over a good few laps of side by side drifts or someone finding a new spot to set up a pass. The 4wd owners on the other hand were usually arguing by the end of the day about who broke who's truck or who's grossly overpowered 550 was faster. I just fit into the group of guys who ran 2wds and I'm glad it ended up that way because now I'm faster than the 4x4s anyway. And that seems to ruffle the feathers of the guy who just spent more money on a motor and esc than i did on my whole truck. 2wd ftw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Interesting overview, I never really noticed this before but will pay closer attention next time I visit the indoor track which runs several classes.
    As I've stated in the past speed runs are about the only time I enjoy them, other then that I'm 2wd all the way, I even enjoy racing the 2wd's more, but honestly never saw a attitude difference between the racers in either class.
    This should be interesting.

RC Qualifier
    Plain n simple - After researching its what I wanted
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"