Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Question Why did you buy a 2WD Slash instead of a 4x4?

I am looking to buy some more slash's for my son and I. I am leaning towards the 2WD VXL due to 4x4's having more issues than the pretty bulletproof 2WD's.

So should I pick up a couple new 2WD VXL Slash's or 4x4's?

RC Champion
    i bought the 2wd because they were the only slash out at the time

RC Qualifier
    I didn't pick one or the other... I got one of each .

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    4908x2
    MERV
    Slash4
    Slash2
    Creeper
    miniSlash

RC Champion
    I have not bought one yet, but if im on a small budget i would go with the 2wd vxl. But if i want something to dominate offroad and have a little more to spend, i would go with the 4x4. I am a fan of 4x4's

I have driven both though and prefer the 4x4
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Racer
    2wd for bashing 4wd for racing

4wd pulls like a boss on a dirt track and much better speeds and better control through corners.
    2wd on road blows the 4wd away for speed and controls fine on pavement,slides out on dirt during turns at highspeed
    Maintenance wise the 4wd will have you spending more time,2wd is simple and very tough I beat on mine very hard

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slash1987 View Post
    2wd for bashing 4wd for racing

4wd pulls like a boss on a dirt track and much better speeds and better control through corners.
    2wd on road blows the 4wd away for speed and controls fine on pavement,slides out on dirt during turns at highspeed
    Maintenance wise the 4wd will have you spending more time,2wd is simple and very tough I beat on mine very hard
    Here's the deal. My son has a slash 2WD. I bought a Stampede 4x4 and converted it to a slash 4x4 to remain competitive with his slash 2WD in my back yard (I made a track with a bowl turn, double-double and huge double jumps. Both cars have proline gladiators with renagade wheels. The stampede 4x4 (now converted to slash 4x4) can keep up and is easier for me to drive, but upgrades and repairs are killing me and seem to be much more than I have had on his slash 2wd. At this point I'm thinking of selling the stampede and getting a slash 2WD. Maybe will will be racing these things at real tracks in the future, the way things are going now, but I would like opinions on if you think I should cut my losses and get a slash 2wd now before sinking more upgrade costs into the stampede.....thanks in advance

RC Champion
    My first 2wd Slash was given to me on my birthday, it had a brushed motor. I had driven my son's 2wd and a friends 4x4. My friends 4x4 broke a lot, gears, axles etc and ran HOT!
    Since my son's 2wd did not seem to require a lot of repairs, I elected to have a 2wd.
    The 2wd was a little more difficult to drive at first but practice made up for it. I finally went brushless when the brushed motor gave up.
    I now have 3 ea 2wd Slashes and one 4x4 all are brushless....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    The 4x4 is without a doubt easier to drive, but I think that is what is so fun about the 2wd and they are both built to take a beating. I was at the track yesterday come up short on a triple with the 4x4 and snapped the end off of a front shock. That was it no other broken or bent suspension parts. And the 2wd came out of there with a stripped STRC rear shock tower and trust me if you would have seen some of the crashes I had these 2 trucks should be destroyed but they are both back up and runing.
    4908x2
    MERV
    Slash4
    Slash2
    Creeper
    miniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    Because of price, my LHS (well it is more a toy store with a small hobby section) wanted $300, yes $300 more for a BL 4x4. I bought the brushed 2WD, plus 2WD is more fun. I admit I get frustrated sometimes when turning in dirt or slightly wet surface and I spin, but at the same time I love fishtailing at high speed.

RC Qualifier
    I enjoy the challenge of RWD. I grab the controller for a buddy's 4x4 buggy or truggy and whip it around the track a few times, and there's no... life to it. No zazz. 2wd also gets the nod in requiring less maintenance (half the drivetrain) being faster in a straight line (half the drivetrain) longer runtimes (half the drivetrain) and generally better durability (half the drivetrain.)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    I enjoy the challenge of RWD. I grab the controller for a buddy's 4x4 buggy or truggy and whip it around the track a few times, and there's no... life to it. No zazz. 2wd also gets the nod in requiring less maintenance (half the drivetrain) being faster in a straight line (half the drivetrain) longer runtimes (half the drivetrain) and generally better durability (half the drivetrain.)
    Putting it that way makes the 4x4 seem... Irrelevant, pitiful even...

RC Racer
    I cant say anything about the 4x4's I have not driven one, but I do love my 2wd!

RC Champion
    the only letdown on many 2wd trucks is while trying to turn at high speed it just wants to keep going straight. i don't own a 2wd slash yet so i cannot comment on the what it handles like.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Champion
    I'm with Toxic. I don't even have a Slash yet. If I had bout $1,000 laying around collecting dust I would make the meanest Slash 4x4 you've ever seen. But, I don't have that kinda money... With that being said I would probably go with the 2WD Slash first, set it up to handle better, be faster, etc...

RC Competitor
    Let me put it this way: 4wd is... for girls
    2wd is really more fun and more challenge. OK probably for pro racing 4wd is better. But thats exactly were the fun ends
    Mamba Max + 5700kv, XL5 + Firebolt 15T

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the replies, pretty sure I am ordering 2 brushless slashes tonight. I have my cart loaded at Tower Hobbies and they just sent me some Gold preferred codes, so I am all set!!

Now I gotta get my Axial Wraith kit built and find dirt!!!

RC Racer
    The 4x4 came out much later..

RC Champion
    Plus, the 4x4 is set-up stock for asphalt and places with lot of hard ground and lots of grip. To set it up for off-road you have to basicly tear it down, swap out oils, greases, and parts. Nothing wrong with this, but the Slash 2WD requires nothing additional to hit the parking lot or dirt track...

RC Competitor
    got back from the local bmx track, and loved my 2wd! keep the stock gearing in it if you plan on running in light loose dirt. I put a 23/86 in the truck and could not put the power down. It was stupid! loads of fun but super hard to control, really showed me how good of a driver I was.
    Carly

RC Competitor
    Cool ... My son has raced BMX at Hampton BMX track. Great place right on the bay!!

- Steve

Just placed my Order!!

Traxxas Aluminum Shock Caps Anodized Blue (4) 1 $13.49
    Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL 2.4GHz RTR Mark Jenkins #25 Red 1 $334.98
    Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL 2.4GHz RTR Mike Jenkins #47 Black 1 $334.98
    Traxxas Battery Expansion Kit Slash Series 1 $5.99
    Traxxas Shock Caps Aluminum Anodized Red (4) 1 $13.49
    Traxxas E-Clips/C-Clips/R Pins (40) 1 $2.00
    RPM Rear Bearing Carriers Rustler/Stampede/Slash 2 $8.59
    JConcepts Rulux Black Wheel Front Slash (2)
    Note:"Price Each" reflects price for each quantity of 2 2 $14.70
    JConcepts Rulux Black Wheel Rear Slash (2)
    Note:"Price Each" reflects price for each quantity of 2 2 $14.70
    Pro-Line Street Fighter 2.2"/3.0" Tires (2)
    Note:"Price Each" reflects price for each quantity of 4 4 $68.36
    Traxxas Caster Blocks Left/Right 1 $3.89
    $120 Promotional Discount 1 -$120.00
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-14-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    wow! I wish I had that much cash! Lol. Good buy though, very nice!
    Carly

RC Competitor
    Threw in some street fighter tires for some asphalt racing when it rains and already bought some paddles for the beach!!

RC Enthusiast
    I have the VXL 4x2 Slash (my 2nd RC vehicle after a Tamiya TA-02 4x4 chassis back in '89), I think all the pro/cons have been covered. The 4x2 is very easy to work with regarding drive train/transmission - after the yokes wore out, I replaced with MIP CVD drive shafts (though one shaft broke over the weekend - may go with 4x4 rear shafts).

Since you mentioned the sand paddles (which will be really awesome fun with VXL), it's good that you got the 4x2 since I've ready issues with sand and the 4x4 - the drive train/shaft isn't well "sealed" and you'll more time cleaning sand out vs. 4x2. Either way, you're going to have FUN!! Your son will have a blast! And the 4x2 is easy to fix too. My 3yo loves the Stampede I got him - VXL on 'training' mode.

Cheers,
    Glenn

RC poster
    Wow, had my heart set on the 4wd but after reading about the issues with it, I'll most likely go 2wd....since this is my first jump into the hobby.

RC Champion
    good decision on the rpm carriers i would go with more rpm stuff as you break things also
    Last edited by ksrustlerracer; 10-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.

RC poster
    2 WD is much more of a challenge to drive, but once you have got it down it can be as fast as a 4 WD. We run ours at the dunes there is no need for 4WD as the front wheels are hardly touching the ground most of the time!

RC Champion
    ... Because the 4x4 wasn't out yet.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Gets delivered today!!

RC Qualifier
    for the fun, and because the 2wd is supposed to has less maintenance ....
    i just love my setup now
    franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl

RC Competitor
    Wife reports a very large package has arrived.

Friday Bash Time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MDslash72 View Post
    Wife reports a very large package has arrived.

Friday Bash Time.
    we dont wanna hear about your personal life lol jk large package

just tell us about ur slash and take pics, lol
    2wd vxl slash built
    4x4 vxl slash getting there

RC poster
    I had a Rustler and wanted to do the conversion so I picked up a chassis and swapped everything over. I cant stop tinkering with these things. You wont be dissapointed in your purchase.. You and your son will have a blast.

Just finished building my mini revo piece by piece just to scratch the 4wd itch... Now Im getting the itch to change my Slash to a Backslash or similar conversion.... Must scratch the itch...lol

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    I got two of them because they just came out on the market and looked fun and durable. Can I even get the original tires and wheels?
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Competitor
    I got one of each,and for bashing the 2x4 is awesome,and my 4x4 is awesome on the track,I don't think the 4x4 is a good basher,too much stuff on it to seal,the Drive shaft mainly.

RC Enthusiast
    I got a 2wd and the within the next two weeks the 4wd came out. (After reading this I'm pretty sure I would have still bought the 2wd.)
    The 2wd is really durable, the only part I've broken is a stock axle carrier from doing backwards cork screws.
    (Ifyou don't know what I mean drive backwards at full speed and turn the tires quickly in either direction. You'll find out what I mean, if your is like mine)
    Slash 2wd 2.4Ghz
    Merv vxl

I also have both. My 2wd breaks more often than my 4x4. The 4x4 is easier to work on due to its design. At high speeds the 4x4 has better handling and brakes. The 4x4 spins doughnuts and gets sideways and powerslides with more control. Don't get me wrong, i love both trucks but I like my 4x4 better. The 2wd is what I take out to beat and get muddy and go crazy with because it has less parts to get dirt and sand into. I have upgraded the motor in my Slash to a Novak SC 5.5! It's a beast! Was more power and speed than stock. But it takes a lot longer to slow it down as it only has rear brakes. They are both great indestructible trucks. Just prefer the 4x4.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    I'm a complete noob but this question did come up in my research. I got the 4x4 because in real life, I drive a Subaru so I'm used to driving (read: used to controlling a vehicle w/ all wheel drive) so I am already familiar with how 4 wheeled vehicles move under all wheel power.

No I am not saying a 2000lb car is the same as a 10 lb RC, but believe it or not a lot of the dynamics are the same. Some of you guys who say the 2WD version understeers, that makes perfect sense since in a real 2WD car, you have to get on the brakes to transfer the weight of the vehicle to the front wheels in order to get the tires to "bite" in cornering. That principle, for example, still applies to small scale.

Whereas in an AWD car, you do not necessarily need to tromp on the brakes as much but if you know how, you can throw your AWD vehicle into a power slide and accellerate through and out of the corner without dropping as much speed initially coming into the apex.

So AWD gives more of a "dirt drift" vibe over a 2WD standard cornering vibe. It's all personal preference, but I can't get enough of the short track racing w/ AWD. Just something to consider...although in hind sight as the OP already made his purchase and I'm sure it'll be the right one!
    "Keepin' the wheel side down."

RC Qualifier
    Donuts on demand
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC poster
    I got the AWD because we race on dirt track and 2wd keep losing traction on the corners.

RC Qualifier
    I got 2wd because it was cheaper and it is a lot more fun because you have to use your head because if you don't then you walk 500 feet to free it from the mud or whatever lol.