Thread: Clay Tires?!?!

RC Qualifier

Clay Tires?!?!

I know that it has been awhile now since my last post. But now I got another question. My local hobby shop said that I should get the proline suberb tires for running on clay. I don't know to go with the ions or the suberbs. Please respond as soon as possible.
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC Qualifier
    If it was me I'd go with the suburbs

RC Champion
    all of the better competitors at our local indoor track run ions - flat out. Stadium truck, 2wd shortcourse and 4wd short course...all the top guys run ions. Also, nobody I know ever had success with the 'clay' compounds. We usually run soft (m3), or super soft (m4) depending on your budget. Suburbs have nowhere near the side bite the ions have. good luck!

RC Qualifier
    I run at SCVRC (Santa Clarita Valley Remote Control). it's located in Santa Clarita, CA. But i see a lot of people running jconcepts barcodes and the suberbs are very similar to the barcodes. Most people who are winning are running suberb style tread. So is the clay compound useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasfreak61 View Post
    Most people who are winning are running suberb style tread. So is the clay compound useless?

Perhaps ask the guys who are winning instead of asking strangers who have never been to your track.

Sorry but I've just never understood why so many people ask complete strangers on the internet which tires they should run at their local track. It's like if I came on here and asked if my neighbor is home instead of knocking on his door.

RC Qualifier
    If you have the money to spend, super soft is the way to go, they just won't last as long as you want.

RC Qualifier
    What exactly is clay compound?

Quote Originally Posted by dontlift19 View Post
    If you have the money to spend, super soft is the way to go, they just won't last as long as you want.

Only true if you're running the wrong compound/tread for the surface you're on.
    Last edited by harry697; 10-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Regardless of the surface, the softer the tire the more grip it will provide.

Regardless of the surface, the softer the tire the more grip it will provide.

Sorry, but that's another myth. If you're running a soft tire in sand or mud, it's not gonna do you any justice. If anything, the sticky rubber will just attract the loose dirt and make it even worse.

Same goes for running a tire with too hard of a compound and/or wrong tread. Even though the tire is harder, it will wear faster on a high-bite track due to wheel spin (great for building groove on the surface though). The softer tire will out last the harder tire on tracks with high grip simply due to less wheel spin. It's all about the right combination. We were burning through tires fairly quickly one season at our track. A bunch of us tried going from SS compound to medium. All we accomplished was slower lap times and even more tire wear due to the loss of traction with the harder tire on a blue grooved track.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Sorry, but that's another myth. If you're running a soft tire in sand or mud, it's not gonna do you any justice. If anything, the sticky rubber will just attract the loose dirt and make it even worse.
    I know I said regardless of the surface but, we're talking about tires for racing on here, not sand or mud. So I will restate that, for "99.9% of Rc racetrack surfaces" the softer tire will come out on top.

RC Qualifier
    racing where

we're talking about tires for racing on here,
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

I know I said regardless of the surface but, we're talking about tires for racing on here, not sand or mud. So I will restate that, for "99.9% of Rc racetrack surfaces" the softer tire will come out on top.

I'll agree that hard pack is a popular choice for r/c tracks for various reasons (maintenance being a big one) but it's a far cry from that kind of percentage. Plus, regardless of what dirt you use, you can't control the weather unless you're inside.

There's a good reason for so many tire tread patterns and compound choices. And yes, I mean racing tires.

RC Qualifier
    Again, what exactly is clay compound?

RC Qualifier
    from what i was reading he is talking a CLAY COMPOUND TIRE

Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

Clay compound was intended for indoor clay racing. The main differences between indoor and outdoor clay is that indoor tracks tend to stay wet and super-tacky. Also, indoor tracks generally have a lower surface temperature. I've been to indoor tracks where clay compound is the hot ticket and other indoor tracks where they don't hook anywhere near as good as a standard soft or ss tire.

It's really a guessing game to an extent. Good thing about racing is, there's enough people around that you don't have to buy every tread and compound by yourself to figure out which one works best.

RC Champion
    currently in the same boat...but the track that im going to is under construction. so nobody knows what tire is going to be the "one".so i put up a question on the local forum.and the locals said to use aka gridirons to start off with.but that is when the track is new.then what the local recomended when the track had been "broken in" were to switch to p-l ions and j-c presure points.....

but with the neigboor thing above... look around for a local forum either for the track or area of ca. that the racers/bashers go on ..but better yet go to the track and ask around.nothing like going to the source
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Perhaps ask the guys who are winning instead of asking strangers who have never been to your track.

Sorry but I've just never understood why so many people ask complete strangers on the internet which tires they should run at their local track. It's like if I came on here and asked if my neighbor is home instead of knocking on his door.
    There are general places to start with tires, but the place to end is at the track. Ask the track operators and the local racers which tires they run, most will be more than happy to share.

Locally, there are two different indoor tracks that have clay. You should be able to run the same tires on both, right? Not really. The tire of choise are JConcepts Barcodes, and you can run the same tire at both tracks and do well, but the softer compound does well on one track because its clay is less course; at the other track they run the harder compound. You can run the softer compound at the other track and do well, but because of how abrasive that track is, you'll burn through a set of the softer compound tires in a night.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired