RC poster

Just starting with a Slayer

I was given a Slayer as a gift, and have no history with RC cars. I've got it up and running and have had a ton of fun! At this point I'm trying to fine tune the high speed needle and the idle speed, but I don't have anything to reference as normal. Here are my questions:

#1 - If I have the truck running and I steadily accelerate to full speed over a period of 4-6 seconds the engine can handle it, but if I try to accelerate more quickly the engine will "flood" or something similar and turn off. Is that normal or should I be able to accelerate more quickly?

#2 - When the truck is at idle on a hard surface like pavement, I have to depress the engine brake on the remote control otherwise the vehicle will drive off under the power of just the idling engine. Is that normal? It seems like if I turn the idle down more then it doesn't start.

Thanks for your help.

RC Enthusiast
    A bog on sudden acceleration can be caused from a too lean mixture from your low speed needle, this will also cause the fast idle that you are experiencing. Get the engine warm and make a few high speed passes to clear the fuel out of the engine, and then do the pinch test. If the engine shuts of almost immediately, your too lean on the Low speed mixture. Set the throttle stop screw per instructions in the manual and then start to tune the LSN. If the engine shuts down after 3 seconds during the pinch test, then i would try richening up the HSN, if that makes it worse, then lean it out a little. There are some real good videos on you tube that show what an engine sounds like when it is set too rich or too lean. There is an obvious difference.

RC Competitor
    I have to echo mrwaug....I was very confused about tuning until I reviewed some of the videos on youtube. Not only did I review them, but I STUDIED them!! It all mays sense to me now..

RC Racer
    Read the owners manual all your questions will be answered there of you don't have a manual you can download it as a pdf file from traxxas website

RC Competitor
    I was never satisfied with my LSN setting until I saw a video where they set the LSN based on temperature. Not the actual temp but the rise of fall of the temp while idling. I ran the truck out and back at high speed then checked it with an infa-red temp gun. If I remember correctly, it took a few seconds to settle down from the high-speed run but then I was able to adjust the needle until the temp stabilized. It has ran much better since (but the ambient temp as too).

The pinch test results seemed the same after doing this as before but it no longer dies at the end of a short WOT run or when I am on and off the throttle.

I have no idea what the temp guns cost. I borrowed this one from work. My guess is that a cheap one will do since you aren't looking for an accurate #, just consistency.

As always,, your results may vary. I have only been dealing with nitros since early summer.