RC Enthusiast

Ken Block converted to E-Revo now with Big Block 5700kv Castle Upgrade.

So my car started its life as a ken block rally vxl, which was fun for a few weeks, until I was bored one night and went on e-bay and saw cheap 1/16 revo parts, and decided to purchase everything needed to make my ken block rally into a e-revo. Which if you are wondering was only the; axles, upper and lower control arms, springs, remove shock limiters, front and rear posts/bumpers, with the rear wing, and front skid plate.

Then I ended up doing the center diff and dual servo mods, for the extra control. Than tragedy struck, I plugged in my 3s lipo and boom went the esc and motor. So while waiting a few weeks for traxxas to replace them, I made a trip to my lhs (Superior Hobbies) and picked up the castle sidewinder v2 esc with 4pole 1406 5700kv big block motor and then a tenbol big block motor mount. Its been about 2 hours now since the install has been completed, and I already am finding I need the smaller 7024x receiver box to run the 16t pinion, but for now to get the motor set up and some break in hours on it I have the stock pinion in, and all I can say is what a world of difference with torque, this thing is an animal with all the stock settings, ill be picking up castle link asap to dig deeper into the settings but for now all I can say is wow, and ill let some of the pictures do the talking, Don't mind the zip ties and extra long wires from esc to motor, I have not had a chance to shorten them yet, was just testing everything out when I decided to take some test snap shots.

Last edited by benjarsx; 10-06-2011 at 08:56 PM.

RC Racer
    I too have a ken block and want a merv instead, i like what you did, how much do you think you have spent to convert?? not including the motor/esc. i have mine for sale but i woould consider the conversion!!
    Wife says I have too may RC's I disagree!!

RC Enthusiast
    Buy everything on EBAY!, I can not express this enough, it cost, me 7 dollars for all 4 axles, 4 bucks for all 8 control arms, 8 bucks for all the links, and 5 bucks for the front and rear bumper, and 5 bucks for the wing setup, springs were only like 3 bucks a set, and the tires i payed 20 bucks for used like new. So the whole conversion was less than 50 bucks, and allows you to still go back to the rally car if you don't like the merv.

RC Racer
    That's reasonable enough
    Wife says I have too may RC's I disagree!!

RC Qualifier
    nice conversion buddy! i really like the way you routed your wires, very neat. it reminds me of monorails around a city haha

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, for not trimming the wires, which I'm not sure if the motor wires can be trimmed on a 1406 motor like they can on a cm36, but I'll be looking into it. This car is a blast to drive I just need some 50c 2s lipos to feed it. My 25c lipos do not cut it for power.

RC Qualifier
    i know what you mean with lower discharge packs.

i run ******* 40C/50C 2s 1.8Ah lipos, so for total amps available i get...
    40C x 1.8Ah x 2packs = 144A constant and 180A burst discharge
    i don't feel that my motor isn't getting enough juice, but i am a little dissapointed i couldn't fit in bigger packs with the same discharge...
    if i were to buy 2s packs again, i would go with "******* ********** 2200mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack", for $14 they are definitely a bargain. 35C x 2.2Ah x 2packs = 154A constant, and 308A burst discharge

(just not so sure how honest that 75C burst rate is though lol)

RC Enthusiast
    I got to get me a few of them

RC Enthusiast
    I took a weekend in Miami and hit up a local hobbie shop, found some blue rpm carriers in stock I wonder if I can rit dye them red?

Quote Originally Posted by benjarsx View Post
    I took a weekend in Miami and hit up a local hobbie shop, found some blue rpm carriers in stock I wonder if I can rit dye them red?
    they will probably turn purple... rpm makes their stuff in red though, and they are cheap enough, i would jsut buy red, if that is what you are after

i am probably going order some of those **********s when i get my merv up and running again

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    they will probably turn purple... rpm makes their stuff in red though, and they are cheap enough, i would jsut buy red, if that is what you are after

i am probably going order some of those **********s when i get my merv up and running again
    Yeah I wonder if I can turn the blue pieces green with a little yellow dye?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by benjarsx View Post
    Yeah I wonder if I can turn the blue pieces green with a little yellow dye?
    you could give it a try. if it works out let us know, i have spare rpm blue arms that i could dye green

RC Enthusiast
    Punched it earlier on a 3s lipo and blew the tops off the front shocks, time for some upgrades.

RC Racer
    ^ how did you manage to do that? i've never ever blown the tops off of both the stock and the gtr shocks (both have plastic caps)
    Formerly known as "Wiggy Fuzz".

RC Enthusiast
    Idk, I have 40 weight oil, black springs, and I turned off traction control on the 5700kv and punched it and something didn't look right, took the body off and the tops were blown off, and the chassis was all oiled down.

RC Enthusiast

RC Qualifier
    Ah, I like the feeling that you can convert the two at will. Meaning you have a 2 in one model!
    And there he goes with the carbon...