RC Racer

Help me understand Gearing.

So I hate to admit it but, I don't understand gearing. So when a guy posts how his car is geared he will say "I run 23/45." So what is the name of the first gear in those numbers and what is the name of the second? I thought I heard speed and pinion once upon a time. Anyway what happens when those numbers increase or decrease? Can you gain a lot of speed by changing gearing? Just try to explain it your best to someone who is newer to RC's. Video's are always nice if you know of a good one. I'm a visual learner. Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Sincerely, A little Embarrassed (AKA-aricaptainic)

The first number is the pinion, the second is the spur gear.
    Think of your bicycle. The first number is the gear your pedals are connected to, the second is the rear gear set. What happens when you change gears there?
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Great analogy. So it might be hard to start peddling the bike on a higher numbered gear but you'r gonna end up with a higher top speed. Cool! So the pinion is the gear connected to the motor right? And the pinion meets with the spur to create movement it think? Now how do you figure out how to gear your car properly? I suppose it depends on your driving conditions to.

Thanks Double G

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Heat tells you if your RC is geared properly.

If it is too hot, you need to gear down... lower tooth count on the pinion or higher on the spur.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.