RC Competitor

pull start for slayer pro, worth it?

my ez starter will not start my slayer after one run. i use a fully charged battery every time.
    would it be worth to change to pull start, use a glow igniter or the started to glow it. idk some help would be great

RC Racer
    We need a lot more info. Why won't it start? Spins and no start? Won't spin? Battery in ez start still good?

He's right. Simply slapping a pull start on will not cure it if there is another problem.
    The Super Derecho

The last thing you want is to switch over to a pull start if you are already having issues starting. The EZstart is great until the engine is fully broken in. If you have a bad tune your hand is going to pay for it with the pull start.
    Vantage/MMM/1515 Revo
    MMM/1518 Revo
    T-Maxx 3.3

RC Competitor
    ok, the starter simply just wont turn even with the glow plug out, i use a fully charged battery. after the truck has cooled it takes a while but it starts. new plugs wount ignite it. i dunno mabey it will just be simpler to put a pull start on. hope this helps

Again, we need a bit more info. I would guess it's either your ezstart motor or possibly your one way bearing but your description above has me scratching my head a bit.
    Vantage/MMM/1515 Revo
    MMM/1518 Revo
    T-Maxx 3.3

RC Racer
    Sounds like a one way bearing to me unless the ez start isn't spinning then I would say ez start motor

RC Enthusiast
    I had problems with my ezstart motor locking up from dirt particals getting inside the starter motor. If i would tap on the starter motor while pressing the button, it would begin to turn over. To fix this, i flushed out the dirt with contact cleaner and wrapped electrical tape over the slots on the barrel of the motor. The only real purpose of these slots are to hold the brushes back during motor assembly, not for cooling.

Can you turn the flywheel over? If not, then open the engine and see what is up.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    sorry about the lack of info guys im new to forums and i dont really know whats happening. any way i i can turn the fly wheel over but i havent tried the tapping thing yet, it hasent been driving wether with ten mil of rain every day. just a quick question how much more easy is a pull start?if its to hard i will reco my ez sart fully

Pull start is easy--if your tune is on. If your tune is out of whack you will get blisters on your fingers from pulling. It takes between 1-5 pulls after priming the engine for mine to start with a pull start.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    cool thanks its pretty well tuned I'm going to re tune it though so its spot on thanks for all the advice. just a quick question richer or leaner is easyer to start with a pull start?. My ez start starts alright when its cooled down but not when hot.

RC poster
    Hi gents, I am also new to the whole nitro category and Im having LOTS of trouble with turning my engine on. I took it to a LHS and he tried turining it on using a glow plug igniter and it worked. Then I tried using the EZ start thing and it will not turn on. I am also leaning towards changing from the EZ start thing to pull start. The problem that I am encountering is that it says that the pull start is for recoil units only. what does that mean?? I have read in other forums that I can just switch over from ez start to pull start with no problems. Someone please enlighten me with info. Hopefully I am not thread jacking, not my intentions.

RC Racer
    Sounds as though your ez start wand is no good or the glow plug harness is broken easy fix either way

if your new to nitro then im assuming that your probably not the best at tuning yet. so if i were you i wouldnt go pull start until you learn to tune good, and get a good tune on the engine. otherwise as said you will have blisters and be hating your car with a passion.

as for easier to start lean or rich lach, its easier to start lean. if your pulling and pulling and you see fuel coming out of the exhaust then your probly to rich on the hsn. trust me i found out the hard way lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC poster
    Yeah Im still not good with the whole tuning thing yet. There is still a lil bit of fuel or whatever comming out of the exhaust. Not as much as before though. Either way, its kind of frustrating that I havent even ran the **** thing yet and theres something that I have to fix already (maybe it was the lack of knowledge on my part). Im going to get this thing running one way or another.

RC poster
    so is the pull start a direct plug in to the 3.3 when you take off the ez start?? or do I have to change something in the engine to make it work?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    yes, no modd needed. ez start, for me, is only good when breaking-in the engine.

you just undo the bolts for the ez start remove it, put your one way bearing back on, then bolt on your pull start.
    Drag It!

RC poster
    Awesome thank you for the info.

yup no problem man.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    hey thanks i think my cars goanna need a retune by the sounds of this thanks for all the advice