RC Qualifier

Fastest Brushless ????

I am thinking of upgrading my Tacon to one of the higher - end Brushless Motors, but only if they offer more power . The Tacon is amazing for the price and has excellent quality, it has never done me wrong, but i am looking for more power. My 3s Lipo will soon be arriving and the motor will be my next purchase. What motor do you guys suggest ? Would like to hear from you guys that have had the Tacon and like a Castle motor, so you guys can tell me what the performance difference is ? Tacon i currently have is a 3650-3500kv, and would like to purchase next motor in the similar kv range. Thanks !

I've never owned a Tacon so cant offer a comparison but I think the obvious choice is a Castle 1410 3800kv 4 pole motor. What ESC are you using, you just need to make sure your ESC can handle a 4 pole motor and the amp draw of this motor, it is an amp hungry beast.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I've never owned a Tacon so cant offer a comparison but I think the obvious choice is a Castle 1410 3800kv 4 pole motor. What ESC are you using, you just need to make sure your ESC can handle a 4 pole motor and the amp draw of this motor, it is an amp hungry beast.
    Right now i just have an EZRun 35a Brushless ESC

1 Specification
    1.1 Output: Continuous current 35A, burst current 190A.
    1.2 Input: 4-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-3 cells LiPo.
    1.3 BEC Output: 6V/1.5A.
    1.4 Resistance: 0.0015 Ohm.
    1.5 Motor Supported: Sensorless Brushless Motor
    1.6 Suitable Brushless Motor:
    With 4-6 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2 cells Lipo: On-Road≥9T, Off-Road≥12T;
    With 6-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 3 cells Lipo: On-Road≥12T, Off-Road≥18T;
    1.7 Suitable Car: 1/12, 1/10 on-road or off-road cars / trucks for normal race or sportful race.
    1.8 Size: 31.5mm(L) * 27.5mm(W) * 24mm(H).
    1.9 Weight: 30g(Without wires)

It has been an excellent ESC for the Tacon, flawless with constant 2S lipo runs, borrowed a friends 3S to see before i ordered some and worked flawless with the 3S also, but dont know how it would do powering the Castle 4 pole

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    The castle 4 pole 1410 1Y motor 3800kv, is an awesome motor. Tons of torque and gobs of power. Very amp hungry little booger. The Sidewinder ESC is rated at 2s and the 3800kv motor at 3s. With one of my trucks i run this sytem and mounted the motor fan on the ESC to give a little extra cooling to it. IMO it doesnt really need it but i like keeping my electronics as cool ast possible. I run the MMP ESC paired with that motor on my Digger. I purchased the motor and esc seperately and it was way cheaper than buying the new MMP system. The prices have risen a little since i purchases mine, back 4 months ago. But if you look hard you can probably get both of them for $170 or so on ebay.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    So , it technically should be possible to run it with my ESC, just it may not perform to its full potential if my ESC can't supply it with the amps it needs ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I wouldnt run it with the EZrun 35amp... I have the same motor/ESC combo you have now... and I have a castle 3800, 3900, 4600 and have had the 2400 big boy also. Ive run them all with a sidewinder and MMP. The 35amp EZrun ESC cant handle the huge amp draw of the 3800 motor. It WILL work... but I just would not feel it woudl live very long, especially on 3S.

IMO, the 3800 motor is the best choice by FAR... and looking for an MMP would be ideal... I dont think you can buy a better ESC for the same or less money. Even the higher power EZrun or XErun ESC's cost more than a good deal on a slighly used MMP and the MMP is, IMO, superior.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

^^^ Pave i couldnt agree with ya more there. The MMP is a heck of a system and a bang for the buck. I also have a Castle MM in my EMBE, that sucker rocks like a start. LOL

Seriously though if you scan ebay you can buy them seperately much cheaper than the new MMP SC 3800 combo sells for.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Thanks a lot for the info guys, unfortunately my pockets aren't quite deep enough to get a motor and an ESC right now, so i guess the upgrade to 3S will have to quench my thirst for more speed !

RC Qualifier
    I got the castle 3800 combo, its got so much power can't even hook up on the road at all!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth13 View Post
    I got the castle 3800 combo, its got so much power can't even hook up on the road at all!
    Thats actually what i was afraid of ! With my Tacon im still having trouble keeping this thing hooked up and turning with out spinning out ! Think i will just run the Tacon on 3S and upgrade elsewhere ! Thanks

I ran a Tacon paired with my Sv2 ESC, its not a bad little motor for the $$ at all. No comparison to a castle though, IMO. I used it for about 20+ runs. Geared the same the castle runs way cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyott99 View Post
    Thats actually what i was afraid of ! With my Tacon im still having trouble keeping this thing hooked up and turning with out spinning out ! Think i will just run the Tacon on 3S and upgrade elsewhere ! Thanks
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

A nice thing of the HobbyPartz site that you can find the power specs of most Tacon motors. I heard good things about the Tacon motors when it comes to power, but not much info about the durability. The difference with the Castle motors cant be just the price. If that was true, Castle would be out of business soon when it comes to motors.
    Nobody is born with experience

The most significant difference is Castle = 4-pole & Tacon = 2-pole. Both are very efficient in design. I know the castle uses neodymium magnets (rare earth magnet), not sure about the Tacon. For the price of it I doubt it though. One other thing would be the quality of bearings. It is a good bang for the buck motor to use as a basher or keep in your box as a spare. Long term usage would be the most significant key for it, IMHO. I like the one I have, ive put about 20+ uses on it.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Not so long ago Caste had a range of 2 pole motors too. Are all the Tacons 2 pole?

Edit: found it: The 3674 size and up are 4 pole motors.
    Edit2: which is a contradiction to what can be read on the site. Whatever.
    Last edited by Petertje60; 10-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My Tacon has performed flawlessly on 2S, i have just recently ordered a 3S, so i will see how it does with that, i also have a heat-sink with a fan so my Tacon never gets hot. In fact i tried out a 23t pinion on mine to try to lower my torque and improve my traction, and even though there seemed to be not a lot of difference between it and my 19t as far as traction goes, i did notice that the temps on the Tacon where still well within range with the heat-sink and fan installed. I think its a great motor for the price, i may even try a higher kv Tacon first before stepping up to a Castle. I have a 3500kv now, maybe i will try a 3800kv one and see if i can get a little more speed out of it, the 3500kv has more torque than i can put to the ground anyway !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tacon makes 4 pole motors?
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Tacon makes 4 pole motors?
    I found this topic where a guy who says he is Hobby Partz employee said the bigger motors are 4 pole. I checked most of the motors for 1/10 scale and they were all 2 pole.

Edit: only found 2 4 pole motors. The orange 2000 and 2150 Kv ones.
    Last edited by Petertje60; 10-06-2011 at 08:41 AM.

I meant more in the class we were talking about. Guess I should have been more clear about that. Yes Castles used to be 2-pole motors. Everyone has to start somewhere and grow on that. All i can say is the 4-pole ones rock. JMO and im sure others too.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I found this topic where a guy who says he is Hobby Partz employee said the bigger motors are 4 pole. I checked most of the motors for 1/10 scale and they were all 2 pole.

Edit: only found 2 4 pole motors. The orange 2000 and 2150 Kv ones.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Do be clear: I find the Castle motors awesome. I own a 2400, 3800, 4600 and 5700. The 5700 is by far the least. And the only 2 pole one.

Who you talking to!!! haha Yep All my rigs run castles. 2200, 2400, 3800 & 3800. You can gear them higher and they run cooler. My digger is the only one that runs an aluminum tranny case. Other than that, they are top notch IMO.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Since you have the 3800 double, I suggest you trade that with my 5700

Dude if i had that as a spare i wouldnt think twice. One is on my Digger the other is on my Slash.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Since you have the 3800 double, I suggest you trade that with my 5700
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think a better deal would be for you to trade me for my velineon motor, WAAAAAY better deal LOL. I'll be awaiting a PM with your shipping info haha.

I think a better deal would be for you to trade me for my velineon motor, WAAAAAY better deal LOL. I'll be awaiting a PM with your shipping info haha.
    Erm. Was that meant for me.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nope, meant for digger, probably should put that

Nope, meant for digger, probably should put that
    I knew, but just had to be sure