Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If I had the material I would have tried to center the brace a little more. Now that I have this brace (3mm 6061)
    fitting perfect I can use it to make a better/more balanced brace if needed. I roughed it out and fitted it to the chassis and 99% of the flex I saw is gone. I was applying a lot of torque with my body weight to the chassis and for now I am satisfied.

I just need to drill the brake post holes in the CD section to fit the bushings on the brake posts, contour the brace a little so there is good clearance of the carb slide valve and cut a couple spacers to go between the receiver box connection and the bottom of the brace.

Its drying up well outside and I may get some track time tomorrow.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    What brand and tooth count Jig saw blades are you using Snook?
    TRXnot so Newbie21

I use a Bosch jig saw and usually Bi-metal blades with as many teeth per inch as you can get. I recently tried the Bosch aluminum blade # T127D and really like them.

RC Racer
    Do you draw these up in a CAD program or are you doing it completely old school?

I wish school wasn't ruling my life. I'd love to at least design a chassis in solidworks even if I didn't actually build it.

Normally just old school. I'm pretty slow with CAD and most often could make a part from scratch before I could draw it up in CAD

RC Qualifier
    Cool build! I have been using cad since before there was such a thing as a mouse and had to input using keyboard. What you need drawn?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    I'd race you, but my cat ate my spur gear....

design a replica preditor chassis then so we can bring them back
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    design a replica preditor chassis then so we can bring them back
    He's designed something just as good if you have seen the chassis for his maxx with the single speed transmission with plastic gears
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiC MeRv View Post
    He's designed something just as good if you have seen the chassis for his maxx with the single speed transmission with plastic gears
    Hi,where is his post for this?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stallion 63 View Post
    Hi,where is his post for this?
    right here http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...uble-Geared%29

The first page is mostly transmission but the pages after show the whole build

The rain let up enough to have a few runs in the street and damp grass today. It is still much to wet at the track so I decided to shoot a little video in the front yard.
    If you watch closely you can see the front tires turning into Pizza cutters a few times. The video doesnít show it well but they are ballooning like crazy. You can also see the front wheels coming off the ground in a power wheelie a few times.
    I am undecided if I still need thicker CD lube or just leave it alone until I get some dry track time. The ballooning may just be due to the wet grass since the rear wheels are pulling the fronts off the ground during full power.

Anyway hereís the video, turn it up you may like that pipe

sounds good, i like it! so snook how much to have you build me a maxx like the one in your double geared thread that was posted? lol
    Drag It!

An arm and a leg, 1 left ear and 520 hours of community service. Community service would include mowing my grass once a week for 10 years.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiC MeRv View Post
    right here http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...uble-Geared%29

The first page is mostly transmission but the pages after show the whole build
    OMG!!! Sorry!My brain got fried just looking at the pics.I've saved all the pics.Snook Man,you can sue me for copyright infringement or whatever.I don't care.Is he from this planet?
    C'mon Snook,admit it.You are working for NASA aren't you?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    The rain let up enough to have a few runs in the street and damp grass today. It is still much to wet at the track so I decided to shoot a little video in the front yard.
    If you watch closely you can see the front tires turning into Pizza cutters a few times. The video doesn’t show it well but they are ballooning like crazy. You can also see the front wheels coming off the ground in a power wheelie a few times.
    I am undecided if I still need thicker CD lube or just leave it alone until I get some dry track time. The ballooning may just be due to the wet grass since the rear wheels are pulling the fronts off the ground during full power.

Anyway here’s the video, turn it up you may like that pipe

Hi Snook,is that a THS pipe?Sounds heavenly.

An arm and a leg, 1 left ear and 520 hours of community service. Community service would include mowing my grass once a week for 10 years.
    lol, well i can try now cant i?
    Drag It!

Stallion, thatís an Ofna pipe, it is almost identical to the Ofna 053 pipe, just without the spring mounts for the header to pipe connection. The video sound does not do it justice, Iím sure the neighbors a few streets over wondered who was cutting firewood in the cul-de-sac

08, I would have tried too

its always good to know Snook and his genius never let up!! =)
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by morganko View Post
    its always good to know Snook and his genius never let up!! =)
    Its HIM! Hes back!

^^^He's alive!
    The Super Derecho

hey buddy we missed ya! we even had a thread about you! lol
    Drag It!

I finally got a little track time today. Other than being a little soft on the shock springs it handles and jumps very, very well. Very stable through the corners and balanced well in the air. I think the only times I rolled it was powering through a corner and caught a rut.
    I still see too much power going to the front and in the corners the inside wheel will balloon up if Iím on the throttle too much. It could be the suspension being a little soft is allowing the inside wheel to lift too much also.
    I normally run 10K wt oil in the center with the buggy but it dosen't seem to be cutting it with this setup.
    The next heaviest oil I have is 30K, so I mixed up some 30K with some 7K about a 60/40 mix to try.
    Iím also going to use 4 higher rate springs on the inboard BB shocks to stiffen it up a little more.

Other than that and my starter box struggling with the .28 this is by far the best handling platform with a Maxx suspension I have ever bolted together.

Time to tear it apart and locktite everything, more run time Sunday hopefully.

cool, let us know man, i like the build though. you got some skillz man
    Drag It!

Thanks 08, I like it so much I will probably build another version

you would...... i still want one like u have in your avatar lol. but you should look over the slayer to revo thread i started and throw in your .02. i would like your input on all of it.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    I finally got a little track time today. Other than being a little soft on the shock springs it handles and jumps very, very well. Very stable through the corners and balanced well in the air. I think the only times I rolled it was powering through a corner and caught a rut.
    I still see too much power going to the front and in the corners the inside wheel will balloon up if I’m on the throttle too much. It could be the suspension being a little soft is allowing the inside wheel to lift too much also.
    I normally run 10K wt oil in the center with the buggy but it dosen't seem to be cutting it with this setup.
    The next heaviest oil I have is 30K, so I mixed up some 30K with some 7K about a 60/40 mix to try.
    I’m also going to use 4 higher rate springs on the inboard BB shocks to stiffen it up a little more.

Other than that and my starter box struggling with the .28 this is by far the best handling platform with a Maxx suspension I have ever bolted together.

Time to tear it apart and locktite everything, more run time Sunday hopefully.
    Hi Snook,pls post a vid after that and the set up including spur CB combo.Can't wait!

I will do my best to get some video if I can coerce someone to go with me

I got it all screwed back together with locktite, heavier CD fluid and higher rate springs for the BB shocks. While I had the CD apart I also added springs between the brake calipers to prevent any drag.

I also found a use for an Excursion body I got in a craigslist parts lot.
    I had to hack the rear up to fit it around the wing mount but itís in decent shape and will add better protection for the front shocks and tower compared to the buggy body. I cut out a side window for refueling and I can also access the pull starter on the fly if needed.

Patiently waiting on the locktite to cure

RC Champion
    good news is...you will never loose a body clip

RC Champion
    that thing looks great snook.. are those a 40 series tire? and how well would they hold up to hard packed dirt gravel mix??
    road rage its not just drivin its a blood sport

Funny you ask, I just made some bushings for the 6mm stock stubs and installed 8mmID 17mm wheel hexes and Brand new, never run Proline LPR Hole shots 3.7”
    The other tires where Proline Bowties MT size 3.30 X 5.70. I'm not sure you can even get them anymore, they have decent traction and wear on most surfaces but wear out quick on road.

The Higher profile LPR’s with harder foams should help keep the ballooning down compared to the Bowties.

Last edited by Snook Man; 10-15-2011 at 03:45 PM.

RC Racer
    Hi Snook,I too made similar s/steel bushings to fit 8mm hubs.Do you they'll hold up to larger tires?I know they are just like spacers and are not actually rotating the tires but I feel like they're cheap mods.Videos,videos,videos! Pls.

I made the bushings from hard ABS plastic. In my experience most 17mm adaptors start to wear and develop slop on the stub because of the difference in diameter of the stub axle and the threads on the end which does not leave the full width of the adaptor in contact with stub.
    I threaded the bushings to fit the stub axle threads and then bored it to fit the smooth section of the stub snugly. Itís a little more difficult to do that way but it lasts longer than just a straight cut smooth bushing would. I have used the plastic bushings on a TMaxx and the 8mm ID hexes before with good success but they have to fit exact to start with or they will wear quickly (been there done that).
    I would think a stainless steel bushing that fit well without being threaded would last a good while before it developed slop.

If n when mine ever wear I'm getting tekno cariers
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Thanks Snook.

I did think of tapping the inside to screw it onto the shaft and boring it to fit,but since I didn't have a press drill to accurately do that,so I just drilled the pin holes and cut the bushings a little short and used a nut to secure it to the shaft.There is no slop whatsoever with the bushings but the hubs have a slight bit of wobble.So I tightened the nuts just enough that even this slight wobble was gone.

Looks like I wasn't the only one with the same idea.Don't feel like a cheapo anymore.

hey you gotta do what you gotta do man. i actually drilled holes and ziptied my rear skid back together at one point so i could still run mine because i didnt have like $5 for a new one lol.
    Drag It!

I got a little track time yesterday afternoon but track conditions were not the greatest.
    An overnight rain a couple of nights before left it muddy in the low areas, and dry and loose in others. Add to that the 1000ís of Acorns littering the track and it was slippery to say the least. I did get a short video of a warm up before the camera battery died (will remember to charge it next trip).
    I burnt 3 tanks and gave up for the time being. I will try again sometime this week if weather permits and take my leaf blower and broom to try and clear/groom the track a little better.
    The truck seems to be performing well with no malfunctions at all. I just canít get a gauge on the suspension setup without being able to run at full speed and hit the jumps at the speeds needed.

The new tires wheels did ok as far as I could tell, but the tire tread packed with sticky Georgia clay after a coupe of passes through the wet stuff and I brought some of the track home with me

I will try to get some better video next trip.

Wonder if Traxxas is looking at this thread and sees the next new redesigned truck...maybe buggy. Very nice!
    The Super Derecho

We could all hope Double GÖ

After inspecting the rig a little closer this morning I did find an issue after all.

I didnít see any more clutch dust than normal so it must have just blew off or out the bottom of the chassis slot for the flywheel but I noticed the clutch bell had turned an nice shade of blue indicating it got rather hot and was slipping more than I thought or noticed.
    After taking it apart the shoes have worn considerably after only about 10 tanks of fuel.

Iím probably a little over geared (14/52) and the engine is just overpowering the clutch.
    Iím going to drop the bell 1 tooth and try the 3 shoe leading edge clutch setup I came up with for the next test session.

you gotta love that clay hugh. best thing about it is that water doesnt just wash it away like dirt. so if you build a track out of it then it stays that shape much longer.

and traxxas really does need to make a good buggy. not whatever you want to call the bandit but something to compete with the ofna, and the losi. i would buy one
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Hi Snook,wouldn't alum shoes be better?