RC Competitor

Thumbs up New user buying ken block, 50mph/Charger/batteries!!

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum.

Getting ken block car in 2 weeks time. Was looking for some help, Looking to get the 50 mph+ from it. Do i need an extra battery and parallel conector ?

These two ?

2925 Traxxas 7.2V Nimh Stick Power Series 1
    3064 Traxxas Wire Harness Battery Parallel Connection

What product is best to fast charge the batteries ?

Also iv heard people talking about Lipo batteries, do they make the car go faster? If so can someone
    give my a link to some good lipo batteries for the ken block.

Cheers in advance!

The link to an on-line retailer has been removed. Please review Rule 11 of the Traxxas On-Line Community Rules, which prohibits the posting of links to on-line retailers.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-01-2011 at 11:38 AM.

RC poster
    Hey Scott, theres a few things im going to cover here to answer your question, as i have the traxxas Ken block, as well. (great choice) First of all, you do need a second battery(2925) you had that part right, but the wire harness is wrong. You need the connector part number(3063). As well, with both of those you need the pinion gear (this is included with the car) but you must take the car apart to install it. Much a pain. If you do not install the pinnion gear and just run the car with the two batterys you WILL demolish the transmission. But the 50+mph is only for straight, long road style driving. It isnt meant for alot of stops and go's. It as well, will break the car. In my opinion, the car is PLENTY fast without it, almost too fast.

As well, for lipo batterys, they do produce a little more power(maybe 5-7mph) but the cost is wayyy out there. And to charge lipo batteries you need a special charger, and a resistor, and a timer. Bassically it costs too much to even bother to upgrade to lipos, especially for the ken block.

My advise to you, to sum it all up, It t buy about 3 or 4 regular traxxas batteries(2925) with the standard overnight charger. This will let you use the batteries more often(so your not running the car once every 6 hours) and will only cost about 100. As for the 50+mph upgrade. i answered your qestions on how to do it, and what to do. but i wouldnt go through the time, or else youll just be replacing the tranny if you dont ONLY drag race it.

RC Competitor
    hey Scott , i have a mustang boss nd the cars are the same except the body . i bought a thunder ac680 charger and it charges the stock battery in 1 hour and 5 minutes , and as gomerxx said the ar is pretty fast stock so i don't think it's worth going 50+mph and breAKING your car and about lipo's ive never used them before and they guys out there said it's dangerous but if you follow the rules i can't do no harm so i am going to buy a pair of lipo's and try them out and i definetly recommend to buy a better charger because waiting 6 hours for a battery to charge i think is a little bit too much. ( and if you are new to the hobby i recommend you to stick to ni-mah as they have almost no special precautions and they still give you plenty of power )

RC Racer
    ken block is the way to go. 2 traxxas batteries and a series connector will get you 50+ on different tires than the stock ones. Stock ones at high speed make the car unstable. I use hpi x pattern tires on the stock green rims and they work fine. I also use lipos and i wouldn't switch back to nimh batteries. I have 6 pairs of lipos and never had a problem with lipos as long as you follow the instructions on how to charge and store lipos. Lipos maker the car a little faster but they have more power throughout than nimh and they also last alot longer. Off my 2 2's parallel i get about 45 mins of run time.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for everybody's help and input. Cheers, wasn't sure if it was the parallel or series conector i would need. Il keep the
    ken block standard to begin with then (Il buy and extra stock battery just incase ) The thunder ac680 looks like a good idea,
    not sure if i will be able to get hold of one in the uk though.

RC Qualifier
    Scott- I live in Norway, so all parts cost twice as much as it does in the USA, so I order from there. Also, LiPos ar CHEAPER than NiMHs, You can get a 7.4v 2200mAh LiPo for 18 dollars! This will make your car go a little faster, and run twice as long!
    This is a signature.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    LiPos ar CHEAPER than NiMHs, You can get a 7.4v 2200mAh LiPo for 18 dollars! This will make your car go a little faster, and run twice as long!
    Though they overheat the car amd iv lost two servos now because of them.
    The battery isnt the expensive part, its the chargers, ballancer, and maintaing them.

RC Competitor
    Yeah il leave the LiPos until i've had some fun with stock batteries. Already placed an order for an extra stock traxxas battery.Get the car/extra battery/series connector on Oct 21st. Can anyone recommend a quick charger for stock batteries, 6hours is
    too long imo. . . Need a charger for United Kingdom.

Thanks again guys!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_sms View Post
    Yeah il leave the LiPos until i've had some fun with stock batteries. Already placed an order for an extra stock traxxas battery.Get the car/extra battery/series connector on Oct 21st. Can anyone recommend a quick charger for stock batteries, 6hours is
    too long imo. . . Need a charger for United Kingdom.

Thanks again guys!
    My friend has the Core-RC UAC-40 from Modelsport UK, it's a good charger which is easily powerful enough for charging 1/16 batteries, could charge 2 at once. And it doesn't need a power supply. It's all in the box, but I can't remember whether a TRX connector comes with it.

RC Champion
    His friend is me and I can tell you it does not come with a trx connector but all you need to do for that is go to ebay and type in "traxxas charge lead" it's the 2nd or 3rd result
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Thanks for letting me know. I cant Find the Core-RC UAC-40 instock anywhere. But modelsport have the UDC-30 and UDC-50 instock. I take it anyone of those chargers will do the job ?

RC Champion
    yeah the uac 40 is discontinued but the model that replaces it is the uac 50 I think which will be best for your application
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL