RC Enthusiast

Camera Mount Design (pics & videos)

So here are some pics of my current mount prototype. I built this at the start of summer before my last surgery. I've only tested it once in its current stage, and still needs some work; for it bounces more than I'd like.

The camera I'm using is the Contour HD helmet cam. I use it for dirt biking as well.

--Pics--
    This design uses that Traxxas wing mount as a back bone and bolts directly on to where a wing would be mounted normally. However, the wing mount was designed to flex, and flex isn't good for a stable picture, so I put an aluminum brace to hold the mount stiff. The wood block allows additional height so that the camera's line of sight clears the body. To protect the camera itself, I bent a aluminum sheet that bolts on with the rest of the mount. As it is, the guard only protects the camera from a roll over, and can be dislodged flipping or rolling backwards. I intend to fix this in the coming weeks when I am able. Things move slowly when you have bad hips.

this last one is what the camera sees when it's mounted.

It's a very rough design, but as I said, it's a prototype.

--Video--

Last edited by KTMRuss; 09-28-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    All game. No pain.

RC Competitor
    nice man you should get a vid going around a track

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for posting this. I have a gopro and wanted to get some on board shots. I might just have to give this a try.

RC Enthusiast
    nice man you should get a vid going around a track
    Unfortunatly, I have no offroad tracks within a reasonable distance of town. And the ones that at a few hours away, are closed till spring.
    All game. No pain.

RC Competitor
    very nice i have little FLIP video recorder and i was going to cut a hole in the windshield of my silverado body and do an internal mount but i haven't gotten past the drawing board since my job picks up in the fall and doesn't slow till spring lol :3

RC poster
    Fantastic!

I have been working on a Swann camra mount and have some videos too... Now I need to figure out how to upload them.

Thank you for sharing, hope to do so soon...
    Last edited by rbd; 10-01-2011 at 12:54 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm starting a new mount in the coming weeks that will secure the camera to a roll cage. This mount will offer much more protection then on the wing so you don't have to worry about damaging it when you're out bashing..
    All game. No pain.