RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

RPM Sl4sh bumper, wheelie bar combo mod

I seem to burn through rear bumpers in months. This is my third one this summer lol. Some of the extra parts come in very handy if you hold on to them.
    I used the brackets from a 2wd slash rear and the plastic wheels only because my truck is blacked out. As you know, we have a red or blue alloy option that comes with bearings. I also took the rubber wheels off my alloys so I don't hear that ssscccrrraaapppiiinngg sound as they drag down the street.
    If you try to add the wheels on without a spacer, it'll hit and rub the plastic bracket your adding on so I used the lil plastic standoffs from top off the shocks the small end fits in the wheel and the bigger end gives some space to rotate. Just use some washers and lock nuts to hold your wheel assembly together but don't go to tight or your wheel will bind. The other 2 holes will thread with a standard screw from your extras pile.

Im going to run it like this to see how it does but I think i'll be adding a cross brace between the wheels and ditching the lock nuts. Just want to see how much flex it has first. I think it'll be stronger with the extra brace.

This is how much lift you'll get with this set up. Looks like it's plenty for my needs.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice mod...I ended buying the rear bumper, and wheelie bar for the stampede 4x4.

The only reason I use the RPM sl4sh beumper is for bash protection, I think its about as ugly as it can get on most of my trucks. The traxxas wheelie bar snaps way to fast for my trashing style yes I ment to type trashing rather than bashing because its the better suited word lol. If I use the bumper by its self, I grind away the bottom edge in weeks. Take a look at the side profile behind the wheels I added. This bumper is close to toast too. That's what got me thinking last night about how to tackle the issue without getting a new one.

RC Champion
    nice, I need a wheelie bar for my 4x4.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    Thats a useful mod, thanks for posting.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

Well, it works great,comes up high enough to ride it out if you have the power for it but doesn't loose traction. It'd at just the right angle to jam the rear for great grip. I also kept the brain storming going..... figured out how to add the cross brace and make it adjustable. I'll post the new set up after its complete.

RC Champion
    That looks great. Interesting how it all fits up so nicely. Cool mod!
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

I feel like I've been robbed!
    February 2, rpm will be releasing this wheelie add on to their bumper for under $10. Looks familiar huh

And wow, look at that, the parts I hacked up to make mine this past summer.

Up to the top for saving some friend time and money! Here's one more pic, hope it makes it a bit easier to see where the parts are from. I used a broken rpm bumper bracket from a 2wd. If you don't have one, ask a buddy, he may be able to help. If not well, my, I mean their wheelie bar is most likely cheaper than hacking a new bumper. So any how, I cut the lower v off behind the screw holes for mud flaps. Then, just flip it 180 and aces it on. The holes holding the bracket will accept a 3mm without a nut on the back but the wheels will need a lock nut to hold it in there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    I feel like I've been robbed!
    I think so too. Look very similar. Send them an email reference to this thread and see what they have to say. Great idea you had back then.

Did before it was released. After seeing it on another site just after christmas. They replied with, I hadn't protected it with patent so it was open an open market item, then continued with, they had been working on it with research& development for longer than half the year or at least before I posted my mod the last week of august. If I attempt to fight it, I'll be throwing money into some jokers cars, boats, and home while he says "their. Is a case here" but im sure my pockets are far less than RPM's legal department. I know I've made a nice lil piece here, I should simply find some satisfaction in that. Some days are marching days, some days are fighting days, I'm marching to bashing ground for my battles lol. Thanks for the thought though, and I do feel like I've got something done here after seeing it take my abuse with out fail.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that is crazy dread to see your custom work come out in the market months
    Later most sting. But don't worry Cause here in the Traxxas forum world your still
    The king of Mods in my book. From the 2.8 tires on a 3.2 wheel to this wheelie mod
    Just keep the MoDs coming. Im pretty sure there are quite a few people here who
    Would agree with me.
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

Thanks man, that's a very kind thing to say. I do my thing, share with the group, and in some cases tell ya how exactly it smashed to bits, or rolled down the street. Lol. I've had some great work to follow here and just busting the gearcase open on my old pede was a nervous moment a couple years ago. The first truck I did was a pede. It set me up for the whole line of tricks I've been through. Ya, the hobbie has some expense and lots of times itsresults in pieces of plastic or bent metal but, sense being involved, I've saved much more than I could have with past hobbies. Always loved the 2 wheel life too, specifically of road. I've always gone for broke and man, laying in the E.R. awaiting surgery many time gave me broke pockets and bones. Tweaking my bike was half, launching ofd sand hills and stupid air was the other half. I get the same from these lil trucks, I tweak and mod, then run um, and the in air action of 4wd just about gives me the same rise (minus the near heart attacks every ride from close calls) to much riding on my job site, family, and business now. Lil trucks it is lol.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-07-2012 at 12:33 PM.