Thread: Rear Grip?

Hybrid View

RC Enthusiast

Rear Grip?

Hi all. I'm new to 1/16, coming from a 1/10 Slash 4x4 project. I'm a flat-track dirt & gravel kind of guy and not really at home on asphalt, but I'm widening my horizons.

I just got a Boss 302 'cuz I love the 1/16 chassis ... it's a jewel! I'm using a single 3s and OEM gears. It's quick! However, since its a gym car, the little 'Stang is way too loose out of the box for my taste. I can run a figure-8 on smooth asphalt without spinning if I do it REAL slowly. Front grip seems to be fine; too much, even. Rear grip is almost non-existant, so the back whips all over the place like a good gym car should.

I changed to some stickier tires and that helped some, but it's still real hard to drive for this newbie. Until I learn how to drive it properly, can anyone suggest ways to improve rear grip on the 1/16 chassis?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I dont run lipo but i think maybe a 3s is a bit to much, maybe go to a 2s? I would say play with you suspension tuning. I know whith my stang if I stiffen both front and rear it stays put a little better on stock tires. i'm also runnong 80wt shock oil. You could also look into a gyro, it should keep you pointed strait
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

I'm still in process of looking for a grip tire that is not too sticky so that the car does not roll. The stock tires are pretty slick and the more they wear the more slick they seem to be. I've also got a set of grip tires but it takes a bit of finesse to drive them so it does not roll. I have seen others go with a 31mm rear tire and some with a 6mm offset. Suspension tuning does come into play too.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I just tried my brand new center diff (stock 50k). A lot of improvement.
    I run foam tires (35 shore) from LRP VTEC. 26mm front and 30mm back. At stock setup a lot of rollover's, because they have intense grip.
    I'm running 100wt in my shocks with stock springs. Waiting for my 4.3 rate springs. Suspension tuning and a center diff helped me a lot. The key is practice to drive the car in a solid line .

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input guys. I looked in the manual of all places (RTFM!) and learned that this chassis is pretty responsive to different diff oil viscosities. I think I'll try some 10w in the back; should tighten it up. I'll keep the stock 30w in the front for now, but may go to 10w there, too. Maybe play with the slipper a bit as well. I use a center diff with 50w oil in my Slash 4x4 and really like the effect. Might give that a try in the little guy, too. Also, someone sugged going to 2s batts ... good idea! I'm thinking a 2x2s deal in parallel. That'll make for better balance as well as more managable power.

Does ProLine make 1/16 shocks? I put a set in the Slash and they turned it into a whole nuther truck! They're great!

Background: This "Slash" of mine started life as a Stampede 4x4, but has since been modified with a Slash chassis pan. The Stamp's wheelbase is shorter by 50mm, and I wanted the longer Slash wb for better handling. I changed the diff oils to 30f/50c/50r, added the ProLines, swaybars and Traxxas Alias pin tires. Now it'll carve a really sweet 4-wheel slide with full power, spewing gravel everywhere! The conversion is easy. If you do it, don't forget to get the longer Slash battery clip! Next steps include a 2x2s setup ...

So many setups, so little time!
    - The Scoot

RC poster

Rear Grip

For me the biggest improvement in rear grip came from from using the Hot Racing sway bar set. It made a huge difference. I also use HPI X-pattern tires in parking lot racing, not the pro compound. I bought the
    brown springs and black springs. I use black in front and brown in back. I use 60 wt. oil in front and 50 wt.
    in the rear. I also put in a slightly smaller pinion. With the sway bars the car is much more fun to drive.
    I'm not sure what tires I'll be running on the carpet this winter. I plan to experiment with HPI X-pattern
    pro's and the HPI Advan carpet tires.

Some drivers in my area simply run their rally cars in practice mode to gain control.

RC poster
    Also, I should add that some drivers like the HPI 31 mm vintage tires for the rear.

RC poster
    Without changing anything on the suspension, I've found that using Integy V4 tires in front and HPI 5130 Super Radials in the rear mounted on Traxxas 4872 wheels made a world of difference. The Integy tires are just hard enough to allow a little slip to keep from rolling and the HPIs really keep the rear end from swinging around. The car is much more stable and less "nervous" especially when going down the straights. MD6 I agree that a sway bar kit is a great idea and I may try one on the front. The Traxxas GTR shocks can also make a big difference and they are extremely smooth, have threaded/hard-annodized bodies and come with the Titanium Nitride-coated shock shafts.