RC Racer

Traxxas 2C 40C 5000mah charge

I recently purchase 2 of the above mentione LIPOs and a Thunder AC6 charger. I have followed the rules on breaking in a lipo. My question is that I charge the battery @ 5amp (1amp per 1000mah) and the battery will only reach 4650-4685mA. Am I doing something wrong or will these new batteries reach their full potential?

I have run the batteries in my 4x4 Slash and have run them at no more than 1/2 throttle for about 20min varying the throttle, battery is very cool, then I discharge them at 1amp to roughly 3.6v per cell with the balancing board.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

John
    I didn't mean to run over your Maxx, the Revo just goes too fast.

That sounds about right. Keep in mind you should never fully discharge a lipo so when you are putting the pack on the charger even if you ran it to LVC you have not completely discharged the pack, it still has some juice in it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Yeah, I've read discharging below 3 volts is a bad thing, so I go to about 3.2 - 3.3. I've read that people are getting 5000 to 5100mah when they charge. I feel like I'm getting cheated with 4650 when I should be getting 5000. Maybe the cells will get their. I've only cycled them 3 maybe 4 times.

If others are getting that many mah into the packs that is a good sign that the batteries are good quality and maybe under rated. I personally dont think the AC6 is a good quality charger and suspect it is not fully peaking the packs or maybe timing out before the packs are fully charged. Have you tried to start a second charge cycle on the packs to see if they take on my mah?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I wasn't sure if you could safely do that. I have not tried. I'm new to this whole LIPO world, so any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    If others are getting that many mah into the packs that is a good sign that the batteries are good quality and maybe under rated. I personally dont think the AC6 is a good quality charger and suspect it is not fully peaking the packs or maybe timing out before the packs are fully charged. Have you tried to start a second charge cycle on the packs to see if they take on my mah?

+1. I'm not knocking the AC6. In fact, I've heard a lot of good things about it. Just saying that I wouldn't rely solely on the $40 charger to give you an accurate number.

RC Champion
    lipos don't charge from empty so if the pack is rated correctly it will never give it's rated capacity on the charger the folks who've been getting more have underated or higher quality packs
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

To the OP: where did you get a 2[S] 40C 5000 mAh Traxxas LiPo?

So far as I've seen, Traxxas doesn't make one of those.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-06-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    To the OP: where did you get a 2[S] 40C 5000 mAh Traxxas LiPo?

So far as I've seen, Traxxas doesn't make one of those.

Busted! You're gonna have to do better than that to get one past the ksb!

RC Qualifier
    That's I clicked on this thread I thought that the traxxas lipos where 25c.

RC Champion
    I think the OP made a couple of typos. No harm IMO.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Champion
    I wonder if some chargers think voltage bleed off for cell balancing is still mah in the pack? Making a hard to balance pack appear to take more mah than it really does.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 09-21-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Stop busting my canards!

That is a good question. I'd hazard a guess that the answer is yes.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-21-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

My understanding is most if not all chargers use a equation based on time and charge rate to estimate mah put into a pack. So it is an estimation not an actual measurement of mah.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I own an IMAX B6 charger - I also rarely reach 5000 mah -usually 4750. But same situation with my original 3000 NIMH battery - I reach 3000 only if I run it until it dies what shouldn't ever ever ever !!! be done on a LIPO.
    Mamba Max + 5700kv, XL5 + Firebolt 15T

RC Qualifier
    in a hole.... with my rustler and an electrical outlet
    i consistently reach 4200 mah (about) in my 2s 4000 mah 20C speedpack with my onyx 235 as long as the cells are balanced right you should be alright
    so this one time I ate a lipo.......

RC Qualifier
    Personally I dont trust nor use my 2 onyx 240 dual chargers... the incorrect and unreliable charge to my NIMH batterys just dont cut it.... I use my Hyperion duo 3 for all my charging needs NIMH and obviously my lipos never had a issue and I know that I get way better charge and almost 100% accuracy...

you can pick up a last gen Hyperion duo 3 for about 200 well worth the few bucks!!! once you use a charger like this their is no substitute...
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by superfrogus47 View Post
    I own an IMAX B6 charger - I also rarely reach 5000 mah -usually 4750. But same situation with my original 3000 NIMH battery - I reach 3000 only if I run it until it dies what shouldn't ever ever ever !!! be done on a LIPO.
    correct & you should never run a NiMh to dead either it is just as hard on them as a Lipo..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??