RC Champion

Nimh battery issues

My 5000 mAh NiMH battery all of a sudden has less life than my 3300 mAh NiMH battery. Don't really understand why.

Bought the 5000-mAh NiMH Venom battery pack as 2nd pack (with original 3300 mAh TRX pack) for more run time shortly after I bought my first TRX truck in April/May. Both packs have been used about equally. Most recently, neither was used much for at least a month while projects related to being a new homeowner took up all my bashing time.

Originally, the 5000 mAh battery lasted much longer than the 3300 mAh battery. Now, the 3300 lasts much long than the 5000... kind of like the 3300 is still functioning normally and the 5000 has become defective.

Any ideas or things I can do to troubleshoot?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    Did you store the Nimh battery with a full charge? They like to be stored "full" when not being used for awhile.
    Pede VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
    Did you store the Nimh battery with a full charge? They like to be stored "full" when not being used for awhile.
    I honestly don't know. I've had so much else on my mind with being a first time home owner. Maybe I stored the 3300 with a full charge, but the 5000 was stored empty. No way to tell at this point.

Is there any way to recondition the battery? ... seems like my 5000 has become a 1500 or less...
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    I have read on here about people slow charging batteries a few times to try to "wake" up the cells. Maybe someone who has tried it can post some info.
    Pede VXL

RC Champion
    some say you should store a nimh pack fully charged this prevents the pack taking damage from over discharge but it will also severely hinder the packs performance when run again because crystals will form inside the cells increasing resistance which is why many and webesites such as camlight.com recommend a discharge to 0.9v per cell before storage and every 4 weeks to keep performance up.
    as for your 5000 pack not having much run time I would recommend first of all identify if it is peaking off the charger at the right time (could you provide details on your charger and settings)
    and to wake up cells i would cycle them on a charger-discharger
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Do a few discharge/charge cycles and you may see some improvement, it has worked for me in the past. Someone gave me an old flat pack that was sitting dead for years and I was able to get life back into it and it works great now.