RC poster

Stampede XL-5 problem. No throttle, still has steering.

Hi, I'm new to the boards, but not (totally) new to RC. I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan and received a Stampede from a great organization called TrucksToTroops. It came outfitted with a wireless camera with IR night vision capabilities, ideal for searching in culverts for IEDs, for scanning the underside of trucks as they come on the FOB, and for boosting morale in our downtime.

On to the issue, we have put the truck through 4 full battery packs and each time it has run as it should. On the most recent run, we switched batteries and turned the truck back on and the throttle is totally unresponsive. No forward/reverse, only steering. The red LED on the XL-5 stays illuminated until you select fwd or rev and shuts off until you let off the throttle, or take it to WOT, then the light comes back on. This tells me that the controller is sending the signal, the ESC is receiving it, but what's up from there? Thinking the motor was toast, I hooked it up, briefly, to the battery terminals to check it, it spins in fwd and rev with no issues.

Any ideas where to start? Is there a "reset" for the ESC I don't know about? Thanks for you help.

RC Racer
    Via Traxxas troubleshooting Guide:

Troubleshooting Guide
    This guide describes possible speed control problems, causes, and
    simple solutions. Check these items before contacting Traxxas.

Steering channel works, but the motor will not run:
    • The motor could be bad or have a damaged brush. Check the
    motor and motor connections by supplying power directly to the
    motor. Note: Disconnect the motor from the ESC before testing.
    Remove the pinion gear from the motor or elevate the driving
    wheels to avoid a runaway and damage to the vehicle.
    • The speed control has thermally shut down (look for a solid
    green LED). Allow the speed control to cool down. See the
    overheating section.
    • Make sure the XL-5’s power cable is plugged into the throttle
    channel of the receiver (Channel 2). Check the operation of the
    radio system’s throttle channel with a servo.
    • Possible internal damage. Return the XL-5 to Traxxas for service.
    Last edited by NeverFinished; 09-15-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Missed a few bullet points.

RC Racer
    here is the link to the full pages of where I located the troubleshooting guides.
    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/es...roof-downloads

RC Champion
    i had the same issue and i needed to re calibrate the transmiter to the esc, it shows how in the manual.

RC Champion
    One more suggestion might be to make sure the low voltage cut-off is disabled. This is a safety 'switch' used for when operating the truck with LiPo battery packs. It also will kill the fun real quick when using your standard style of battery pack. Try holding the button down for a good 15 to 20 seconds you will hear either one of two sounds. A digitized sound which either sounds low to high, or high to low. I believe you want to make the sound go from high to low. If you have the booklet regarding the speed controller, check it out.

RC Champion
    or you might have to hit the button once to get the light flashing, and then hold it down for the 15 to 20 seconds.

RC Competitor
    i had the same problem but mine was the throttle trim so try that and see just turn the dial until light goes off or goes green

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies. Here's the latest, I think the motor is toast. When applying direct power to it nothing happens. It did initially, but not now for some reason. Are these stock motors that bad? How did we kill it that quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by bcbsox View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Here's the latest, I think the motor is toast. When applying direct power to it nothing happens. It did initially, but not now for some reason. Are these stock motors that bad? How did we kill it that quickly?
    By going from reverse to forward too fast.I have good experiences with breaking in the motor, but that is no guarantee.
    Nobody is born with experience