RC Competitor

Cool my first ever lipo run( new traxxas 2200 2s )

well first i will say i didnt know what to expect.this is my first lipo purchase,and why not try the new traxxas lipos.i admit they are a little pricey.compared to spc lipos,which i will be buying from them real soon for all my trucks.now i will say im very impressed with the performance and power of lipos.i ran one pack for somewhere around 20 minutes,lvd did not kick in yet i was satisfied with the test run and called it a day.the battery was slightly warm,my nimhs are always super hot after they die in 7 or 8 minutes..lol.i couldnt believe i could do wheelies on just a single 2 cell...just insane...lipo user for life now...

question~~~~~~

when and why should i discharge a lipo battery?

how soon should i charge the lipo after a run?

and is it ok if a fully charged lipo is stored( not used) for a few days or longer?

lipos usually never even get warm

you don't ever need to discharge a lipo, you just run it till low voltage cutoff kick in, then stop. don't run it more, as it is bad for the cells and they may not work properly again if you run it past lvc

you can charge it immediately after the run

a few days isn't going to hurt anything..... if storing for long periods of time, you should set your charger on storage mode, and it will charge it to a predetermined capacity, its liek 30-40% or something like that

RC Competitor
    thanks so much jimbo...

RC Qualifier
    I run 2 chargers so both are normally charging something for my merv or erbe. I charge up before a run and put straight back into storage after the run. Even if it's only going to be a day or 2 til it gets used again it gets put into storage. I am sure it's overkill but it can't do any harm.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Competitor
    how much did you put back in the pack after a 20min run ?

and yes lipos get warm. When running my merv with the castle 4600, they get hot. Also running my miss geico boat, with the leopard 2200 kv my lipos get hot, they get a real workout. :-)

RC Competitor
    I have 2 chargers the onyx 230 I think it is,50 bucks for that one and I just bought the onyx 245 dual lipo nimh charger. I won't be waiting on any more packs to charge lol.

Max----- I didn't get a chance to charge it after the test run last night. I work nights I'm going to charge it when I get home. I want to know how much mah it takes too. I will post after I get the data.

RC Competitor
    2058 mah......thats what it charged to

Don't store a charged lipo more than a day maybe two at the most. You should store a lipo at 3.85ish for long periods of time & check them about once a week to see if they need a bump charge. Discharge only if you have to, every cycle is one more cycle to the death of the battery..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

You may want to review what Traxxas states regarding care and feeding of their batteries:
    Traxxas Battery Basics
    Alt-248 on the number pad =