RC poster

Question Dirt around center drive shaft *HELP*

Hi,

I'm new in the Traxxas community, just purchased my Brushless MERV a couple of weeks ago.
    Bashing with parallel 2S lipo's gives great power and runtime.
    Never experienced so much power in a remote controlled car!!!!

After driving hard trough dirt and gravel, I noticed sort of a grinding noise from the bottom of the car.
    I was worried it was a diff or the gearbox, but when I started cleaning, I found tonns of dirt around the center drive shaft. The Nylon shaft has clear signs of wear around the knuckles. I'm afraid that if I do this a few times, I have no shaft left...........

A: Is there a way of keeping dirt and debree from getting between skidplate and shaft?
    B: Reinforced steel drive shaft?? (Traxxas Mini 1/16 Revo Steel Center Drive Shaft SERV237??)

Please advise.......

RC Qualifier
    Check in the rally or ken block section, there is a nice thread called saving your driveshafts (literaly) There is a great tip in there that works great
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC poster
    Wow, thnx for the tip.
    Actually, I have everything in the garage for this mod.....
    Doesn't cost me a penny
    Does anyone fitted this on their E revo?
    I would love to have some feedback on durability.

RC Competitor
    I got the GH alu center drive shaft installed. and after 4 pack's the pin's came out(my bad, no locktight)
    and I took it out again after 8 packs to have a look,and a small stone had grinded down almost all the metal towards the front gearbox. It's sloppy to, so I'm going back to the plastick one, cheaper to replace when the dirt/smal stones wear down the shaft, so yes, dirt will make it's way up there. Maybe the bottom skidplate from one manufactor(don't remeber who) will make it last longer.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maxstian View Post
    I got the GH alu center drive shaft installed. and after 4 pack's the pin's came out(my bad, no locktight)
    and I took it out again after 8 packs to have a look,and a small stone had grinded down almost all the metal towards the front gearbox. It's sloppy to, so I'm going back to the plastick one, cheaper to replace when the dirt/smal stones wear down the shaft, so yes, dirt will make it's way up there. Maybe the bottom skidplate from one manufactor(don't remeber who) will make it last longer.
    t bone?
    theres still a gap between the chassis and the t bone center skid plate. though it helps a little bit, dirt will always find its way, especially when your having fun

unless you silicon seal the area? donno if that'll work properly, but its worth a shot

RC Qualifier
    Here is the thread that Skitlerz was referring too. The rally and the merv have the same chassis so the process is the same. It seems like a great idea although I haven't tried it.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, that. Dirt gets in past the transmission output (leading edge of the center underside skid), in through the trailing edge of the center skid (just in front of the forward rear suspension arm mounts), and in through the top-side opening under the motor and spur gear.

It's simple foam weatherstripping tape to block off the underside stuff, though a little more involved to create a cover plate for the top hole. But, with those all blocked off there's not any more rocks and stuff up in there.

GL... Let us know if you work out how to keep little stones out of the pinion and spur gears.
    The prototype project.