RC poster

E-Revo has been dead too long.

So it is time to get my E-revo back up and going. It hasn't been working for about a year (bought a new house, had to move, etc.), and I have been trying to figure out why. It has only been run a few times since it was new, but by the time I ran it the first time it was already out of warrenty.

When the problem started it coud steer, but could barely move forward, and reverse. Occationally I would turn it on, and it would go forward and reverse just fine, but would not steer. At that point I firgured it was a bad radio, so I replaced the standard TQ AM radio with a new TQ 2.4 system that I bought from tower hobbies (Didn't know about the power up program). I added that in about two weeks ago, and reset the esc per the instructions.

Now I will get bursts of speed for a few seconds and them it will die (no turing, forward, or reverse). When that happens there is no light on the esc. If I press the button to turn it off, then turn it back on it will do the same thing. I have also noticed that that it heats up my battery packs, and ecs heatsink fairly quickly. Still not to hot to touch, but about as hot as after a normal full run time. I have tried two sets of fully charged 6 cell packs and got the same results. I have tried uplugging on motor at a time to verify the motor didn't burn out, and both seem to be working. Any idea on what to try next? I have only been able to run a handfull of packs through this before it died.

Fully stock e-revo w/ TQ 2.4
    Battery pack = Venom 3000nimh 6 cell (I have 4)
    Charger = DuraTrax Onyx 240

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Esc is fubar, sounds like the internal BEC may be bad and/or some other form of dead-short ( hence rapid heating of esc and batts, very bad news )- double-check the connectors are good, no bad joints or damaged wires etc.

Since it is way out of warrenty a replacement esc may cost you ( contact traxxas support ) a fair bit, in which case buying a replacement yourself will be easier/ cheaper- just hit up ebay for 'traxxas evx2' and you'll find plenty, just go with a good seller ( based on feedback and number of sales etc, lots of hobby stores have ebay shops these days ).

Your batteries will also need some TLC if they have been sitting for that long, you will need to cycle them ( charge > discharge repeatedly ) several times until they take in pretty much their full rated mah capacity when discharged and charged at about 3amps ( less charge current won't hurt, just takes longer ).

More reading material:

Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

Warranty replacement from Traxxas is $50 including return shipping (in the US). Use this form if your call to Traxxas Support determines that the ESC is dead. You won't find a deal like that on ebay.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    That's what I was afraid of. I have new 7 cell packs on their way, and I will call Traxxas on Tuesday. Thanks for your help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Warranty replacement from Traxxas is $50 including return shipping (in the US). Use this form if your call to Traxxas Support determines that the ESC is dead. You won't find a deal like that on ebay.
    What about non-warranty replacement?, I was thinking about the esc being ~2 years old so the support center may not entertain a warranty replacement as such. Can't hurt to try though for sure.

RC Racer

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    What about non-warranty replacement?, I was thinking about the esc being ~2 years old so the support center may not entertain a warranty replacement as such. Can't hurt to try though for sure.
    The form in the link I provided is for use after the 30-day warranty expires. It is for the Lifetime Electronics Warranty and is good for the life of the product.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Right-o, I'll remember these things one day... *adds page to his favourites for future reference*