RC poster

rally vxl problem!

I was driving my Traxxas rally today and everything was fine, until the low voltage protection came on (I used a lipo battery)after just 5-7 minutes of driving. So I thought, okey the battery was not fully charged but when I put a new charged battery in it, it barely moved... everything else works, steering, forward/reverse all works fine. its just that the motor wont rev, even when I give ful throttle. it is like its running on 1/6 throtthle.

so does anyone know where the problem might be ?

RC poster
    i think you fried your esc. check to see if it is. just get another esc to plug it up into and run it to see if it works or not. if thats not it, it has to be your motor. try it with another motor and do the same. if you are not sure or you dont have an extra esc or motor. just email traxxas about the problem. they will probably want you to mail it to them. you should mail them both the esc and motor just in case. if you went over the 1 year free replacement thing, you will have to pay a little, better than paying it full price. good luck!

RC Racer
    Doh!!! Exact same problem here. I've tried resetting everything, different batteries etc. No go! I ran for about 5-10 minutes and it stopped and started stuttering. Now, it stutters a couple times and then only goes about as fast as a walking pace.
    I'm wondering how one can fry a VXL with two Traxxas Lipo batteries....I usually run in parrallele, but I was trying out running in series. I still don't think it should matter though. Thought this thing was made for this......

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Any lights going off on the ESC?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Nope. Steady on just like normal running.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I think it may be time to give the experts at Traxxas a call....
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Bummer. Just got it out of the box too.
    Thanks boss....

RC Racer
    You ran your lipo in series? I didn't catch how many cells your lipos are but I believe the VXL3m esc can only take 3S. So if you were feeding it 4s (two 2s in series) you probably fried the esc. I hope it all turns out well for you.