RC Racer

1/16 Summit VXL upgrade part list thread.

Well it hasnt taken me long to realise that this little trucks need mods and upgrades so they can realy do what they look like the can do.
    So this thread is just going to be a recommended part upgrade info thread for the SUMMIT 1/16.
    Tell us the parts your using, the mods youve made and why you think there great.
    Lets not make this what parts are horrible thread coz im pretty shore we all know what they are and if not like me, you find out soon enough!

So far all i can recommend are the e revos steel cvds. Bit pricey but so far so good. i poped an axle in 1st 20 minutes of driving. I had to shave down my a arm so when i screwed in the camber adjusters they would go in further so the cvd's had a snugger fit near the diffs.
    Running stock spur gear and a 23 pinion. So far running it like this kept it noticably cooler with no shut downs. Top end speed is nuts but low to mid speed is much much more controlable, motor dosnt spin as mad as the 16t it comes with.
    Next i flipped the trans gear, lost the top end speed but gained awesome climbing speed. Low down to mid speed is off the hook and like i said, crawling is much smoother!
    Waiting for my motor heat sink and 2 fans to arrive.
    Unfortunatly ive cooked my servo so thats my next upgrade. Im pretty close to chopping the chassis to fit in a 1/10 servo.
    So, what parts do people recommend?

1) thick differential fluid (a most if you fancy yourself as a true off roader - no more wild wheel spins) I suggest Ofna diff lock or silly putty
    2) aftermarket esc - the stock vxl with the large tires overheats often. I suggest the MMP
    3) dual servos or a strong after market servo (much stronger with slow off road crawling)
    4) tranny flip - it gives much better control but is horrible at high speeds. Even on 4s lipo its too "twitchy"
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Heatsink, and all aluminum transmission!!! No more overheating! The aluminum sucks up all that heat away from the motor!

SHIMS!!! highly recommended for the differentials. Cheap preventative differential care!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I really like the looks of that aluminum trans case..And that makes good sense!!! What brand is it and how are the tolerances?

I will add.. New aluminum shocks..

RC Racer
    I got it from the toyz, but its integy. And I'd highly recommend it!

Not surewhat you mean by tolerances, but everything went in snug, and I'm having no problems. I've taken it apart, to play with gear ratio a bunch of times, goes back together like the day I bought it.

RC Enthusiast
    Every body says shim the diffs, I have 3 between a cousin of mine and me, check to see if you have side to side play first, none of mine are shimmed and not one has blown a diff, 2 merv's are over a year old the other is 6 months old, no blown diffs, and now shims.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry "no" shims not "now".

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info.. Yeah that's what I meant.. sounds great
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMilk View Post
    I got it from the toyz, but its integy. And I'd highly recommend it!

Not surewhat you mean by tolerances, but everything went in snug, and I'm having no problems. I've taken it apart, to play with gear ratio a bunch of times, goes back together like the day I bought it.

RC Racer
    Diffs shimmed. The front diff which has new pinnion and big gear installed took less/hardly any shims than the rear which still has the original parts. Ill have to see how it all looks inside when i strip it after 1st runs like this. I feel that shimming the diffs is only required if ya wana go slow/crawl, high speeds the freeness in the diff when stock is probably pretty sweet but prob not good when ya hit the breaks.
    Heat sink and fans installed.
    Machined alloy parts sound like the way to go, but bloody pricey hey.

RC Racer
    -gpm adjustable toe links -tie rods. friken awesome with steel cvds and modified swing arms. Axles fit in diff cups so good and wheels allign so its not in the crab walk stance. So happy with this set up. ill post pics up in my summit thread tonight!

RC Racer
    I put a hitec 85 servo because the stock ones kept breaking on me. Then an integy heatsink and fan.Integy cvds. DONT BUY THESE THE SUCK within 1 lipo they were all either snapped cracked or total messed up. the next day i went and got the traxxas cvds. There awesome ! also geared down the truck to a 55t spur for crawling and grass driving it keeps much cooler.(i think so) tell me wat u think the esc is around 120f the whole run also picked up 2 7.4v 2000mah 2c lipos!! in parrellel i get just under an hour!

RC Racer
    oh the servos in these trucks are horrid! picking up a hitec during the week.
    The traxxas cvds are the BOMB! after a couple of high speed runs at the bmx track, i came back with broken front left swing arms, broken steel tie rod and a cracked diff housing, cvds still straight!
    Temps i cant tell ya, i use my finger on the motor and esc to see if its too hot. So far or should i say finaly i can keep my finger on there without it getting burnt. im running same batt set up as you. tranny flipped it goes for around 45minutes. With the tranny not flipped, it runs for 25-30minutes. No shut downs since ive fitted the fans!
    You flipped ur tranny Slayer T maxx?

RC Qualifier
    I have Golden Horizon axles and they're garbage... Really poor design, tried to mod them but really not happy... Just FYI
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosRR View Post
    oh the servos in these trucks are horrid! picking up a hitec during the week.
    The traxxas cvds are the BOMB! after a couple of high speed runs at the bmx track, i came back with broken front left swing arms, broken steel tie rod and a cracked diff housing, cvds still straight!
    Temps i cant tell ya, i use my finger on the motor and esc to see if its too hot. So far or should i say finaly i can keep my finger on there without it getting burnt. im running same batt set up as you. tranny flipped it goes for around 45minutes. With the tranny not flipped, it runs for 25-30minutes. No shut downs since ive fitted the fans!
    You flipped ur tranny Slayer T maxx?
    no i didnt havent heard of tht before wat does it do srry 4 the late reply been super busy
    Last edited by summit_slayer_t-maxx; 10-13-2011 at 06:43 PM.

RC Racer
    yeah summit slayer. Theres a mod people are doing that requiers you to open you tranny and swap two gears around. What it does is give you much better low end power, but you lose a heap of top end power. realy tho the top end power is just off the hook. im shore someone will be nice enough and put up a link to that thread please
    The tranny swap is good for slow driving and crawling type driving. I missed the hardcore top speed of the truck when i flipped my tranny but finaly found a gear set up that gives me the best of both worlds.
    My tranny is flipped and my gearing is 50-27 now. tho that gearing is also to compensate for my smaller tyre diamater. I found that you have to experiment with different gearing till you find the right one for what you want your truck to do, and for keeping the heat in your electronics down. Before this with stock summit tyres i ended up running 45-23.
    reason i asked is when i had mine geared stock, 50 -16, the thing would get hot so quick i was going to throw the thing away. Your running 55, that would make it even hotter, unless your running a big pinion?
    Thats why i put a bigger pinion gear on, 23. heaps more top end power but the power going thru the motor at low end speeds wasnt as rapid so my motor wouldnt get as hot as stock gearing. The top end speed was so insane that i hardly even used it, so with that in mind driving round using the low to mid end power/speed i found a good running temp for my truck. But the top end speed as much as you wouldnt use it, you just had to give it a go every now and then. most times end up with broken bits from high speed cartwheel.
    Once i flipped the tranny, that gearing was gold! I lost that insanly crazy top end power, but coz i geared it like i did it was perfect for the scale truck that it is. Was abule to slow climb up some knarly stuff but still had wicked acceleration.
    I think to keep thing cool you have to use a big pinion. The bigger the pinion the less revolutions the motor shaft spins when driving in Low to Mid power. the more that shaft spins the hotter the motor gets and then your esc. Smaller the pinion, the shaft in motor spins much more rapidly, heating up quicker than a motor spining slower with a bigger pinion.
    Youll notice i dont use the word torque. I believe brushless or these brushless dont realy have torque. They have POWER. If you press your trigger all the way the motor spins quickly to top speed. To make its slowly get to top speed you would slowly press the trigger.
    Torque is just used as an explination of where the power is when you gear these motors what ever way you do.
    If i was to say where my truck had most its torque id say in its mid range power.
    Hope that made sence

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosRR View Post
    yeah summit slayer. Theres a mod people are doing that requiers you to open you tranny and swap two gears around. What it does is give you much better low end power, but you lose a heap of top end power. realy tho the top end power is just off the hook. im shore someone will be nice enough and put up a link to that thread please
    The tranny swap is good for slow driving and crawling type driving. I missed the hardcore top speed of the truck when i flipped my tranny but finaly found a gear set up that gives me the best of both worlds.
    My tranny is flipped and my gearing is 50-27 now. tho that gearing is also to compensate for my smaller tyre diamater. I found that you have to experiment with different gearing till you find the right one for what you want your truck to do, and for keeping the heat in your electronics down. Before this with stock summit tyres i ended up running 45-23.
    reason i asked is when i had mine geared stock, 50 -16, the thing would get hot so quick i was going to throw the thing away. Your running 55, that would make it even hotter, unless your running a big pinion?
    Thats why i put a bigger pinion gear on, 23. heaps more top end power but the power going thru the motor at low end speeds wasnt as rapid so my motor wouldnt get as hot as stock gearing. The top end speed was so insane that i hardly even used it, so with that in mind driving round using the low to mid end power/speed i found a good running temp for my truck. But the top end speed as much as you wouldnt use it, you just had to give it a go every now and then. most times end up with broken bits from high speed cartwheel.
    Once i flipped the tranny, that gearing was gold! I lost that insanly crazy top end power, but coz i geared it like i did it was perfect for the scale truck that it is. Was abule to slow climb up some knarly stuff but still had wicked acceleration.
    I think to keep thing cool you have to use a big pinion. The bigger the pinion the less revolutions the motor shaft spins when driving in Low to Mid power. the more that shaft spins the hotter the motor gets and then your esc. Smaller the pinion, the shaft in motor spins much more rapidly, heating up quicker than a motor spining slower with a bigger pinion.
    Youll notice i dont use the word torque. I believe brushless or these brushless dont realy have torque. They have POWER. If you press your trigger all the way the motor spins quickly to top speed. To make its slowly get to top speed you would slowly press the trigger.
    Torque is just used as an explination of where the power is when you gear these motors what ever way you do.
    If i was to say where my truck had most its torque id say in its mid range power.
    Hope that made sence
    ya i hear wat ur saying 4 sure! With my gearing a 55t spur and a 16t pinion it keeps it cooler and crawls alot betr but still not amazing. and i barely lost any top speed but the difference is noticable. if the truck is sitting still and i full throttle in reverse it flips it self around! the stock gearing didnt do tht haha. I dont think ill flip my trany tho i still like to climb with it out by my house were theres HUGE piles of black dirt the thing flys up em no prob haha so if i flipped my trany i would lose the top speed i need to make it up. o and wen i climb with it my 2 lipos only last 25 mins in parrelell cause of so much full throttle haha i think
    Last edited by summit_slayer_t-maxx; 10-16-2011 at 07:19 PM.

RC Racer
    i run two 2S lipos at the same time (longer run time) 70% of the time full throttel. I get run times of atleast 35 minutes! and with my 2nd batt pack, all together i run for atleast an hour and my truck never shuts down.
    I rekon if ya wana climb stuff flipped tranny is better coz most the power is produced down low. With a small pinion on, the power you have when you press the trigger is out of this world. Thats why its great for slow climbing aslong as you dont press full throttel all the time. Thats wasnt enough for me and because there is so much power (torque) with a small pinion you can afford to lose some of that low end power but really not sacrafice its climbing capabilities if you put a bigger pinion on. Its makes that low end madness power so so so much user friendly, easier to climb, a realy awesome mid power that mellows out to a nice very controlable and fun top end speed.
    take the time one day and experiment with different gears.
    A good thing to try noitce is the sound the truck makes with your stock gear set up. listening to the motor and the speed the truck is going is a good indicator if your gearing set up is really out of wack. that tends to happen when you change wheel size.

RC Racer
    ya i quess haha i finaly got the truck to aculy stay together with out breaking for 2 weeks which is the new record 4 (i have had the truck 4 almost 3-4 months and it been in working order 4 maybe 3 weeks) me so i dont realy wana change any more things and i love it the way it is but mayb down the road ill flip the trany idk

RC Qualifier
    Great Thread, may try the tranny flip thing!