RC Qualifier

Post Rustler Help with rear axle...

Hello, I noticed to day that my rear right axle would stop faster than the left the only diffidence of the sides is that the right carrier is RPM. Any tips on how to get it running smother???

Check all the bearing first if you dont find anything there look over the drive shafts and diff.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Check all the bearing first if you dont find anything there look over the drive shafts and diff.
    Also i have the stock rustler bearings and they seem fine but do they need grease because I cleaned them.

The stock bearings are sealed so they shouldn't need any lube. Another thing to watch for is the plastic stop inside the rpm carrier can rub on the bearing and cause resistance when the wheel nut is tightened. There was thread on here at one time about it, but that has been a while ago. If that is your problem then you can drill it out to just smaller than the sized of the bearing to make sure it can't contact the side of bearing seal.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

The stock bearings are sealed so they shouldn't need any lube.
    You sure about that? I thought they came with the Traxxas bearing with the blue rubber seal. If so the seal comes off so you can clean them and then re lube them with a drop or two of light machine oil.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Interesting to know, I was under the impression they shouldn't be "unsealed" but rather replaced. Of course that was information I read on a post here on the forum...definitely good to know, and I will be giving it a try since I have a few that could use some lube or cleaning.

Metal shielded bearings are not meant ot be opened up you will destroy the metal shield getting it off but the rubber sealed bearings are definitely made to have the seals removed for maintenance.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    what do you think of the traxxas metal sealed bearings compared to the stock blue plastic sealed? I just installed a set of the metal ones today. they seem smoother and better lubed

RC Champion
    You can really tell about a bearing being better lubed? Wow, wish I had that much sensitivity. I wasn't aware Traxxas sold a "sealed" bearing....... thought they were all the blue rubber type bearing that's removable and cleanable. (but I've been wrong waaay more often than I care to remember)
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Champion
    the metal sealed bearing's are going to go bad just as fast as the blue sealed set. There is just no way to clean the metal sealed bearing's as good as you can the blue rubber sealed set. Traxxas doesn't use the hardest steel to make them, so they will pit and the ball's get cut up and stick. Aftermarket set's made of a good hard stainless steel would be your best bet.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    i reckon removing the seal of a bearing is ok and good but lets face it you don't need to do it very often as look how tight the sel is and anyway bearings are just too cheap to fuss over
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Another thing to watch for is the plastic stop inside the rpm carrier can rub on the bearing and cause resistance when the wheel nut is tightened. There was thread on here at one time about it, but that has been a while ago. If that is your problem then you can drill it out to just smaller than the sized of the bearing to make sure it can't contact the side of bearing seal.
    +1 on this.

I've had this exact issue with some RPM carriers and had to drill out the axle holes to match the bore of the stock ones. The edge of the hole opening touched the inner part of the bearing when it seated and stopped it from spinning freely. I think RPM must have fixed this problem as my son bought a carrier set later and his were OK (i.e. had bigger holes).

RC Champion
    What about ceramic bearings......... now those cost a pretty penny........ can't imagine them being worth the cost. IIRC they're in the $60 price range. Anyone have knowledge on these?
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Ok I called RPM and they said to that I should drill out a small part from the middle and the bad thing is that I don't have a drill bit that big and it will cost more then the part to get a bigger drill bit..... going to buy the Traxxas stock ones now....

You could cut this out with a hobby knife if you are extremely careful.

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    You could cut this out with a hobby knife if you are extremely careful.
    Yup, the tolerances are not extremely critical, but the removal of material should be done very gradually.
    Alt-241 on the number pad = Ī