RC Competitor

Question Slash 2wd with brushless gearing upgrade ?

ok, i have the 2wd slash upgraded with the Velineon 3500 Brushless set-up...I have the sealed RPM gear cover and the OPTIONAL 86t spur gear which you have to run since the sealed cover is smaller for clearance issues. If i wanna keep temps down as we run pretty hard and have a track with big jumps what would be the proper pinion gear to run? I have almost had it go thermal but caught it as i was swapping batteries...When we run, we run a battery then swap and keep goin, not really any down time!
    I know it sounds stupid but looking at the gearing paper that comes stock with the high speed gears i see the 86t is on the high speed if i remember right so im already working against myself becuz i could care less about speed since we only have 1 long straight away and i am usually carrying waaaay to much speed into the corner but thank goodness its a banked turn but give me your info or hit me with a link to steer me in the right direction.....Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TCCustoms; 08-30-2011 at 08:50 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    What kind of pinion gear are you currently running, and does anyone know how well the integy coolers work for the 3500?

RC Competitor
    thats stock...i believe its 19/90 stock so i have 19/86 now with the sealed cover

And which cooler...esc or motor, from what i heard there really isnt a cooler for the motor due to the way the motor sits in the slash. ESC fan....my buddy has the one made for the velineon esc and works great.
    Last edited by TCCustoms; 08-30-2011 at 08:52 PM.

RC Champion
    19/86 is low gearing for a Velineon, possibly too low depending on the surface you're running on. I found my motor temps dropped when I went from 12/54 to 14/54 (I run 32P) as the motor overevved less.

Resting between packs where I live (Australia) is certainly essential - I sometimes have to rest during packs! Get a IR temp gun.

Aluminum gearboxes are the ultimate motor heatsinks but are pricey.

You might want to think about getting a (non-fan) heatsink for the motor. I believe you can get small clip-on ones that fit without mods. STRC also make a aluminium heatsink motor plate for the Slash (sits between motor and gear case) for about $9 - these also help prevent the motor flexing on jump landings so help protect spurs from stripping too.

RC Champion
    I would probably get any where from a14t pinion to a 18t pinion. Google robinson racing- they make all kinds of gears. MAKE SURE you get 48pitch gears, and rememer less pinion gear teeth = less heat as you probably know
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Qualifier
    what battery are you running 7 cell or lipo i run a 26/86 to bash with with a 3s and dont have a temp problem

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post
    thats stock...i believe its 19/90 stock so i have 19/86 now with the sealed cover

And which cooler...esc or motor, from what i heard there really isnt a cooler for the motor due to the way the motor sits in the slash. ESC fan....my buddy has the one made for the velineon esc and works great.
    They have at least one that they say for sure fits a 2wd, and motor I was referring to my ESC has no problems my motor gets a little warmer than I like but not scorching, I can grab it and hold it in my fingers still. The aluminum gearbox sounds like a good idea if you need a new gearbox housing kind of a crude heatsink.

A little overboard to your problem, maybe a smaller pinion / fanless heatsink / or a 32p gear set (everyone has their own opinion on 32 or 48p.)
    Last edited by Vakivalta; 08-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    Is 48p the stock pitch? The plastic spur doesn't need changed so I wanna stick with that...I just wanna keep motor n esc heat down

RC Champion
    Is 48p the stock pitch?
    Yes - that's the stock pitch for Slash 2WD. The Slash 4WD comes with 32P which is a more suitable pitch for offroad brushless power IMO.

RC Champion
    32p is probably better suitr but 48p never gives me problems

RC Competitor
    ok, so since i went to an 86 i should run about 14-18t pinion...i'll get with me hobby guy and borrow his pinion rack which has like 10-20 pinion gears on it and just try them out i guess

RC Qualifier
    let us know what you end up with. I have a new slash with 23/86 stock gearing and it gets hot on 2s. I thought stock gearing on 2s would be ok.
    Sweatin' the SMALL stuff!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzmaxx View Post
    let us know what you end up with. I have a new slash with 23/86 stock gearing and it gets hot on 2s. I thought stock gearing on 2s would be ok.
    Temp depends alot on the surface you're running on and the ambient temp outside. If you're running on grass in anything other than very cold ambient temps then your motor is going to get hot. What do you call hot? Have you got a temp gun? A lot of stop start driving also increases temps to as it draws a lot of amps. I think stock gearing is a little high for anything other than onroad running.

RC Competitor
    That def seems high...if everyone is telling me 14-18t wth the 86 spur! That sound like u have the optional high speed gearing on it which is for long flat smooth surfaces

RC Qualifier
    Temps would get to 170 with it on training mode with my 3 yr old driving. Not stop and go, just go. Mixture of drivway and short grass. The 23t pinion is stock. The optional high speed pinion is 28t.

RC Champion
    170F is the hottest I let mine get to. It's the stop starts that will increase your temps with 3 year old (I've seen how they drive). Dropping 2-3 teeth on the pinion should help drop that down a bit.

RC Qualifier
    My 3 yr. old goes full throttle all the time. Very seldom does he get out of the throttle. I have 3 acres for him to drive in so there is very little to hit. Just endless swerving and donuts.

RC Qualifier
    I just received a STRC heatsink today. Does anyone have any experience with one? I know its not going to be as drastic as an aluminum transmission case but I figured for $11 I would give it a try. Plus I read it eliminates some case flex as well.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking of finding one that fits for the 2WD, putting some thermal paste in between and "sealing" the paste in with superglue or something along the edges. I'm not worried about temps though since I'm only using nimh still, lipo def in the future though. You'd have to paint thinner it off or something if you ever changed, these are just thoughts though :P

RC Champion
    I just received a STRC heatsink today. Does anyone have any experience with one? I know its not going to be as drastic as an aluminum transmission case but I figured for $11 I would give it a try. Plus I read it eliminates some case flex as well.
    I've got the STRC motor plate heatsink. There's nothing to it really. Just take out your motor and push it in and put your motor back in on top of it. In theory you'd use 1mm longer motor screws but the stock ones are long enough to go back in.

I think it's a great little product and helps overcome one of the major issues (motor flex) with the stock gear case for very few $.

RC Competitor
    Temps would get to 170 with it on training mode with my 3 yr old driving. Not stop and go, just go. Mixture of drivway and short grass. The 23t pinion is stock. The optional high speed pinion is 28t.
    Yours must be different then cuz stock on mine is 19/90 and the high speed gear option is 23/86....thats why i need to drop to 15 or 16 pinion since i have the solid gear cover by RPM which required the smaller 86 spur to fit

RC Racer
    Take a look at this thread post 85
    Anza Slash

RC Qualifier
    Yours must be different then cuz stock on mine is 19/90 and the high speed gear option is 23/86....thats why i need to drop to 15 or 16 pinion since i have the solid gear cover by RPM which required the smaller 86 spur to fit
    thats beccausse you upgrade`d your slash,
    a brushed slash is 19/90 stock
    the vxl comes stock with 23/86

i bash in very loose and deep sand,
    i run mostly 19/86 or 21/90
    today we played with 19/90 but that`s with Proline Slingshot`s in the dunes ;-)

here u can find anything you like to know
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl

RC Champion
    Check out the yeah racing heat sink + tornado fan - that would work really well with an aluminum tranny

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by franzD1 View Post
    thats beccausse you upgrade`d your slash,
    a brushed slash is 19/90 stock
    the vxl comes stock with 23/86

i bash in very loose and deep sand,
    i run mostly 19/86 or 21/90
    today we played with 19/90 but that`s with Proline Slingshot`s in the dunes ;-)

here u can find anything you like to know
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    I did the traxxas swap out program and just used all stock gears so yes, originally brushed it came with the 19/90 but thats also why i asked about gearing since im not familiar with BL and wanted to know if i should drop a tooth or so on the pinion so im not getting as warm as i am when running on warmer days even tho now we are getting into cooler weather, lol!

RC poster

Cool gear combo problems

I have a slash 2wd x-l5 brushed and i like speed like alot of people so i run a 14/90 and there is no temp problems so thats what i suggest.

RC Qualifier
    19/86

do it

if u want speed then go 23/86 but expect temps to run a little warmer. keep an eye on them
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Enthusiast
    In 65d weather I did 23/86 on a Slash 2WD 5805 with a Castle 3800/SCT (v3, with fan built-in on ESC) upgrade for about 20 minutes in short to medium grass in my back yard with stock tires; motor went to about 125 per Traxxas temperature readout on my phone.