RC poster

Possible Broken Transmission

Hello,
    I have a problem with my 2wd stampede. I drove it off a small dirt ramp and everything was fine. The truck hit the ground rear wheels first and everything went downhill from there. The motor turns, the gears turn, but the axles don't. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you

RC Qualifier
    same thing happened to me, theres 3 gears inside and theres a little pin that snapped so it spun freely, check that.

RC poster
    My stampede is a couple years old so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm a little confused about where the gears are. Are these in the transmission or do these include the pinion and spun gear?

RC Qualifier
    they are inside, such a pain to get in there. They are about the same width of the pinion but wider

RC poster
    ok, thank you I'll check it out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Make sure your motor didn't just slide back so the gears aren't meshed anymore. The pin he's talking about is on the shaft that the slipper clutch and spur gear are on.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Racer
    You could try and tighten the slipper, but it sounds like the pin on the clutch shaft went bad. You can see the diagram of the transmission on this site.

RC poster
    Hey buddy if your truck is older it might be a plastic Idler gear that stripped.
    It would be the middle gear inside the transmission

RC Racer
    I have the same types of Pedes you are talkin about. Just as Monster rc said, check the idler gear inside the tranny. I've replaced mine with the alum. one. It is highly recommended to get an upgraded one, especially if you're already diggin into your tranny.

RC Enthusiast
    mine just did this on its 2nd run since new but it ended up being the motor came out of adjustment

RC Racer
    I had a similar problem the other day. I am not sure what the problem was. It has a metal Idle gear, I am not sure what happened. I hear a clicking noise in the transmission. I am not sure what gear it was. I took the transmission off and checked all the gears and they looked fine. Any ideas? Also i held the tires individually and it seemed to be worse on one side than the other when I would hold one tire. Thanks

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU136 View Post
    I had a similar problem the other day. I am not sure what the problem was. It has a metal Idle gear, I am not sure what happened. I hear a clicking noise in the transmission. I am not sure what gear it was. I took the transmission off and checked all the gears and they looked fine. Any ideas? Also i held the tires individually and it seemed to be worse on one side than the other when I would hold one tire. Thanks
    Sounds like your planetary gears are toast in your differential. Gotta open up the diff and check it out.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.417699,-104.615920
    - Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    Yeah I did that and they looked good. I didn't notice any chipped teeth or problems. That was my first guess as well. I will tear it down again tomorrow to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFinished View Post
    I have the same types of Pedes you are talkin about. Just as Monster rc said, check the idler gear inside the tranny. I've replaced mine with the alum. one. It is highly recommended to get an upgraded one, especially if you're already diggin into your tranny.
    Only replace the idler with aluminum if your other gears are plastic. Best to just upgrade all the gears to the new style steel gears. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM IDLER WITH STEEL GEARS. the aluminum idler is meant to run with plastic gears only and will just strip or wear out very quickly if used with steel gears.

---

RC Racer
    Yeah the rest of the gears are plastic. I am deciding whether or not to switch.

Yeah I did that and they looked good. I didn't notice any chipped teeth or problems. That was my first guess as well. I will tear it down again tomorrow to be sure.
    I had the same problem a couple times too, and even though the gears looked fine in the diff, it still made the grinding noise. The stock grease tends to break down quickly and the diffs like to leak the grease out too, which causes wear of the plastic casing making the gear mesh out of whack. When you open your tranny up to look at the diff make sure you hold one of the output drives and give the diff a spin quite a few times to make sure it's good to go before throwing it back in. Kinda gets annoying having to open up the tranny more than necessary. I put one of the diff output drives into my cordless drill and spin it to make sure it's good before installing it.

---

RC Racer
    Good suggestion thanks I will let you know what happens.

Yeah the rest of the gears are plastic. I am deciding whether or not to switch.
    You can get the complete vxl tranny off eBay for 30-35 bucks which will be brushless ready with the new style slipper clutch. Its cheaper than buying all the gears separately and it will come fully assembled which is a Bonus. Keep in mind that it's only a few bucks more to get steel gears instead of plastic.

---

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    As baldy said, only a couple bucks more for steel but the difference is they'll actually last.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC poster
    Thank you for your help everyone. I tore the trans apart and figured out the problem. It was my idler gear. It was destroyed. So I ordered a new one.
    Once again thanks for all your help,
    Pickleheadguy