RC Champion

Some feeback on the new Traxxas Lipo

I will start with I am by no means a lipo expert.

I picked up a 3s 4k (11.1v 4000mah) Traxxas lipo and have been ran it a few time. I only have some 2s 6k 28C SMC hard case to compare with.

The fitment is great. The semi-rigid soft case fits very well in my Stampede 4x4 and on-road slash 2wd (STRC LCG conversion using Rustler/bandit chassis, 30 series road rage, beetle body). I do like that there are 135mm and 155mm lengths available. The 155's will allow up to the get most mah in the e-revo/e-maxx battery compartments.

I have not run 3s before but there is tons of power. I have a VXL in my stampede (geared 9/54 with big crawler tires) and 3800 SCT setup in my onroad slash (23/86.) The 3s really brings the VXL alive, a little too fast for my trail-rig set up on my stampede though.

Most of the running has been done in the Slash. I started with 28/83 (gearing I found great for 2s) but ESC ran hothot after 5-6 passes. It flew but the sidewinder got hot fast. It is a true 25C battery (100A cont). Regeared a few time and found 23/86 comfortable for temps speed and run time. This also for the reduced amp draw break in in the instructions (5 runs no more than 70% amp rating)

Temp gun battery is dead but after non stop speed passes I would say 150 motor and esc and maybe 100-105 battery at 90F ambient. It does run quite a bit cooler as night (colder tires, less grip, less motor load). I will say the 2s SMC ran cooler, even at 28/83 gearing. But those are 150A+ packs VS a 100A pack.

Ran it til the LVC kicked off at 3.3v, cooled , and charged back up to 3900 mah. A true 4k pack.

I will be buying a pair of the 2S 7600's for my EMBE.

All in all a great pack. Good power and price. Cannot beat the 1 year warranty, plus lifetime replacement at 50%.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 08-28-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Thanks for your review. I'll be investing in a 3S pack on my next purchase of a battery.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Champion
    They need to be cheaper before I buy one.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Champion
    kinda off topic: Is there anyway to save the Traxxas lipo/vehicle display chart? looks kinda kool

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ac...s-applications

I was unable to save the picture by right clicking and its to long to save as a screen capture. - Any ideas?
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-02-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    I just picked up 2 x 2s 7600mah.. to run in my emaxx... AWESOME;
    I was at 45 minutes before I got tired of driving. 4 charges so far. Though I would like to see the price come down; they
    are definitely high quality compared to some of the cheaper batteries I also use.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    kinda off topic: Is there anyway to save the Traxxas lipo/vehicle display chart? looks kinda kool

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ac...s-applications

I was unable to save the picture by right clicking and its to long to save as a screen capture. - Any ideas?
    I used smart notebook software to capture it all separetly and put it all together.
    Land of the free?

RC poster
    I think Traxxas is doing a great job! Those batteries fit like a glove. The mah numbers are VERY impressive. I just wish I could stuff those 12800 mah batteries in my full size Summit. Actually, just having an LVC on the Summit would open up a whole new world.

RC Champion
    I just got a couple 7600 for my E-Revo with the 775 in it and within the first 5 minutes it was up on it's wing and wheelying across the lot. Need to run it more, but I'm loving them so far.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Now that I've had a chance to play with them some, I love those 7600's!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC View Post

Ran it til the LVC kicked off at 3.3v, cooled , and charged back up to 3900 mah. A true 4k pack.
    Since you are not a lipo expert, I will make 2 contributions......

1) You should never run your lipos til you hit LVC. LVC is there as a last ditch effort to save the lipo pack. 3.3v in my (and other expert) opinion is too low. LVC should be at 3.4v per cell. With time, you will get a 'feeling' for when your packs are ready to quit, and THAT'S when you stop, not when you hit LVC.

2) You are WAYYY over discharging your packs. The sweet spot is drain 80%, 90% MAX. This is a figure that's been determined by battery and lipo experts doing countless hours of testing and analysis. Taking a 4000mah pack down to 100mah means you are discharging 97.5%. Keep doing that, and your lipos will not last long at all.

RC Competitor
    hey guys , when i run my car lvc kicks in at 3.65 v per cell so i thin its pretty good

RC Enthusiast
    How do you know? Are you checking the voltage after you disconnect the packs? Because the voltage will always be higher, and will dip under load. So you are likely lower than 3.65v. What packs do you have? And how much mah are you putting back into the pack?

RC Champion
    I like the ebay LVA with the two little horns on it. Somewhere like $5.00 and it's adjustable to go off anywhere you choose from 3.2-3.8v per cell. So for any reason your voltage drops below the set point the alarm will sound off until the voltage returns.

This alarm would soon teach a new guy when his 20c lipos are under too heavy of a load and/or about dead.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-27-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Stop busting my canards!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    This alarm would soon teach a new guy when his 20c lipos are under too heavy of a load and/or about dead.
    Agreed. Too many newbies to lipos are relying WAYYYYY too much on the LVC, thinking they will prevent disaster. Not the case.

RC Champion
    I have my LVC set at 3.4v per cell, but periodically check it with one of those little tester/alarms. Once the battery gets to 3.6-3.7v per cell I quit. If it goes much lower than 3.7v per cell, the cells become unbalanced and then I get nervous

I strongly suggest getting a tester. Its under $5 and a very useful tool. Almost as important as a temp gun..

Although next time I run Im going to set my LVC at 3.6v per cell and see where It stops, since I don't hit LVC when its at 3.4v per cell much.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN SPEED.; 11-26-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..