RC poster

JConcepts Manta Body

Bought a Manta body for my boy's Slash & wondering if anyone had had any experiences with it and could provide some input. How's it holding up, any areas I should reinforce ahead of time? The Stock body is all beat and tore up around the mounting points so I can see where [I]that[I] would need extra strength when new.

Please keep an eye on the language, and you must edit your posts if you see ***'s in them.

3_rolls
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 08-24-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Language
    Rustler, 2WD Slash,
    83 320iS, 74 Norton Commando

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Keep in mind I'm apparently a terrible painter... I like the color yellow, but I'm 3 bodies deep without it sticking...

On looks alone, I give the manta a 10. I think its a great looking body.

On durability.....

Well its tough to say really. It cracked on me... but I'm hard on things... so its tough to tell. I've moved on to other bodies now... If I could get a decent paint job, I'd try the Manta again.

In my non scientific opion... I feel like proline bodies are more durable... but again, I do like the manta on looks... if you take care of it, you'll have a good lookin truck.

It looks like you didn't was the body before you painted it...

That looks like a good body for my 4x4 MT.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    It looks like you didn't was the body before you painted it...

That looks like a good body for my 4x4 MT.
    Or he didnt use lexan paint.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Qualifier
    I buddy of mine got one. Looks nice on his slash 4x4. If it's anything near as durable as my jconcepts raptor you'll have a hard time hurting it. My jconcepts even has giant holes in the roof and is missing chunks in the back and is still strong.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Three jconcept raptors sadly have torn at the front wheel wells for me within just a few runs.

RC Champion
    Looks like you are painting the outside. That body does look nice though.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC poster
    Thanks guys I gave it to him for his birthday this morning and his head just about popped off his shoulders! He wants black with stripes so I'm thinking Ivan Stewart Tundra paint scheme.
    Rustler, 2WD Slash,

RC Champion
    Just a rule of thumb when painting. Wash the body first with soap and water, then lightly scuff the inside of the body with a scotch-brite pad(this will give your paint something to hold on too)., Then using a lexan paint(either rattle can or airbrush). Mask off your design and paint dark colors first and light colors last. This way you have less of a chance for your dark color to bleed through you light color. Don't worry about scuffing the body up with the scotch-brite as the paint will fill the scratches and they will disappear.

As far as the body tearing: Use smooth lines. Cutting sharp corners will create a weak points in the body and will tear. I normally score the outline of the body with a hobby knife(go over the line 2 to 3 times) and then bend the body back and forth at the score points to break the waste from the body. This will give you a nice smooth edge and less chance of tearing. Just be careful with the hobby knife and not press the blade with very firm pressure, medium pressure will do.
    Last edited by BigDaddyMaxx; 08-20-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    Thanks guys I gave it to him for his birthday this morning and his head just about popped off his shoulders! He wants black with stripes so I'm thinking Ivan Stewart Tundra paint scheme.
    That would look sweet!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC poster
    Wound up doing more of a Ken Block kinda theme, even found decals online I ordered up last night. I'll post up some pictures when I get a chance, I don't have them uploaded to my picasa account yet and I don't have my camera at work.
    Rustler, 2WD Slash,

RC Qualifier
    Plasticoat clear primer first. I used to etch the inside, but it really doesn't help.
    Slash VXL, E- Maxx 2 , comin' through!

RC Qualifier
    personally i think the arches are far tooo bigggg on the manta.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    personally i think the arches are far tooo bigggg on the manta.
    and i just recieved mine through the post. man its super thick, this is my first non proline. reason being most shops round here sell mainly proline. reckon its going to be proper proper tough. can hardly tear bits ive cut off.
    she is going matt black onthe OUTSIDE with jets black rattle can paint. going to spray the inside silver to show any scratches and scrapes and there will be many lol

RC Qualifier
    manta is a great body...one of my favorites. My nehpew beats the heck out of his and its much more solid than my proline bodies...all of my proline bodies. I'm a true believer in Jconcepts bodies after painting up that Manta

here is a few pictures of the one I painted for him:

'Life is for living, not living uptight'