RC poster

Exclamation Titan 12T Motor Problem?

I was reading up on this motor before I buy my Stampede Xl-5 and people were saying that there were problems with the motor. I would like to know what the problem is and if there is one then what motor should I get?

RC Competitor
    Titan is a brushed motor i smoked 3 of them in 3 months then i decided to go with the castle creations sidewinder motor and its a huge difference

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The problem with the titan isnt ALWAYS due to the motor itself. Often its user error that causes it to die long before it should. I personally dont believe its an overly durable engine but it should last longer than it does.

First, break it in properly. To do this I suggest putting in a full battery pack, propping the rear wheels off the ground so the tires can spin freely. Turn the radio and ESC on and set the throttle trim all the way to max. Let the wheels spin like this for 15-20 minutes. Then, take the motor out, spray it out with motor spray, spray it out with compressed air, lube the bushings on either end with 3 in 1 oil and let it sit over night. This is a better break in method than what the manual suggests.

Next, get a 16t pinion gear. The stock 19t gear is WAY to high and will cause the motor to overheat which causes it to die very quickly. Even with a 16t pinion be cautious of running it in grass for too long. The titan gets hot... heat kills the titan... keep the titan cool. (under 150... but closer to 130 would be best)

Finally, maintain the motor properly. After ever 3-5 packs take the motor out of the truck, spray it out thoroughly with motor cleaner, once its clean, spray it out with compressed air, once its dry lube the bushings on either end with a drop of 3 in 1 oil, reinstall it and let it sit over night.

Following these guidelines will help your titan last as long as possible. When it does finally die (and it will) replace it with an Electrifly S-600 motor and follow all the same guidelines and you should have no trouble with THAT motor.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Another thing that catches people sometimes is that the ESC is rated for 9.6v, but the motor is only able to take 8.4v....

So some people see 9.6v on the esc and assume its ok to use 9.6v. But if you have the titan motor its not smart.

Overall I think the best option would be to invest in ideally a Castle Creations system of some sort. But if it seems to expensive there are plenty of cheaper brushless systems that are still tons better than brushed motors. Brushless motors are not only faster, but last much longer and require much less maintnence than brushed motors.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Definitely agree on going with something else. The castle systems are awesome but since you sound like you want to stay brushed, pav recommends an electrify 600? Don't remember exactly, you'd have to ask him.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Champion
    If budget allows, either buy the VXL or replace it with a Castle system when you get it. If not follow Pave's directions.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    I've used the Titan motor for a long time and never had one last less than a few months. IMO the vast majority of failures are due to being geared too high. As mentioned, if you get a brushed Pede the first thing you should do is gear it down to maybe a 16 or 17T pinion. If the motor is over about 160F it won't last. That's the internal temperature, not the temperature of the can.

RC Qualifier
    My sons Pede has the titan in it for over 4 months now, broke it in as Pave said above , and i remove it and clean it and then re-lube every 4 to 6 uses and installed a 16t pinion to keep the temps down. With proper care they seem to last much longer ! Good Luck !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Its amazing how much difference proper break in, gearing and maintenance can make. These are NOT high end motors. They are NOT rebuildable. They are essentially disposable so how you car for them literally determines how long they live. A rebuildable motor can be abused and rebuilt... a titan can not. So take care of it. Then, as you run your brushed system you can save up for a good brushless system.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    THere's really no problem with it if you break it in properly and clean it out every 3 packs.

RC Champion
    Pave. The MASTER of the Pede.Great advice.:thumbup

RC Champion
    You can have yourself a Brushless set-up for under $60. Tacon Motors are excellent for the price. They are only $20 and perform wonderful.
    Then there are a ton of cheap brushless ESCs for under $50. The most popular probably the EZ.

just think no more seasonly motor replacements, no more maintnence, and you get to go FASTER

And the kid down the block had his titan go out in about 1 1/2 months cuz he never took care of it or broke it in.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN SPEED.; 08-19-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Qualifier
    My sons has lasted over 6 months, keep it cool, keep it clean, keep it lubed. But if you just want to go brushless, i got the ezrun 35a esc, and a tacon 3500kv motor for 51 bucks !!

The biggest problem with the titan is it's usually a person's first rc that it comes with so it is the learning curve for many of us. Including me, I burned my titan in a week because I didn't know any better. I replaced it with a 15t orion sv2 and took care of that motor and it lasted months even running on 8 cells at times.

I personally prefer the water break in method seen on youtube utilizing two C cells. Wire the cells together, connect them to the motor and submerge it then watch it and wait for the batteries to die. Then clean and dry the motor and lube the bushings/bearings and install.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    The biggest problem with the titan is it's usually a person's first rc that it comes with so it is the learning curve for many of us. Including me, I burned my titan in a week because I didn't know any better. I replaced it with a 15t orion sv2 and took care of that motor and it lasted months even running on 8 cells at times.

I personally prefer the water break in method seen on youtube utilizing two C cells. Wire the cells together, connect them to the motor and submerge it then watch it and wait for the batteries to die. Then clean and dry the motor and lube the bushings/bearings and install.
    The problem with this method is that the water causes excessive brush wear on the Titan motor, which has non-replaceable brushes. This is not a optimal combination.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Wouldn't that be offset by the hard compound used to make the brushes being a sealed motor? Excessive brush wear vs not getting a good seat worn into the brushes. Which is worse for longevity? I took my titan apart when I burned it up and the brushes still had a serrated edge that should be gone after break-in correct? I used the break-in method in the manual, only with the wheels off the ground.

Has anyone ever worn the brushes out on a titan? I know a few guys on here have some with some serious time on them...
    Last edited by rjm2519; 08-31-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    lol crash and burn.