Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Well....I would have to say they come about people from people like you. Put them Hitachi's on something! You will have to play with the motor plate but give it a try!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any brand of power drill motor will work as such, some brands are just better quality than others- a 14v motor should be pretty similar to the 14.4v dewalts, assuming the dimensions are the same ( 36-39mm diameter, ~65mm long ). Worst case scenareo is that it runs hot and the brushes fail within a few runs, just gotta monitor temps with any new setup and alter gearing/ driving style as required.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    jarhead, got big plans for those big motors! hmmm thinking a crawler? Im guessing I should get some good torgue from the Hitachi's? but im looking at mounting them on the other side of the motor mounting plate, something like the setup on the E Revo (#5603) gotta get army to help me find the best either single or dual esc that will let me give those motors the most volts possible......lol, army I await your input!!!!
    Last edited by goalieman3037; 09-05-2011 at 09:22 AM.

RC Champion
    Yes, panasonic also makes a 14.4v drill. The DeWalt is cheap, easily rebuildable, and proven to work. DeWalt also has a very good rep for powerful and reliable tools.

Hitachi makes good tools, but not nessacerly with the power of DeWalt (remember that DeWalt is an INdustrial brand targeted at people who need their tools for a living and who ask alot from them).

try the other motor(s) and post up some pics/vids.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    i think it will depend on the timing on the motors if you'll be able to run one reversed. I know the dewalt has advanced timing and takes a bit modifying to get them to 0. were you originally going to build something along the lines of a clod buster, or have i getting mixed up somewhere.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by goalieman3037 View Post
    jarhead, got big plans for those big motors! hmmm thinking a crawler? Im guessing I should get some good torgue from the Hitachi's? but im looking at mounting them on the other side of the motor mounting plate, something like the setup on the E Revo (#5603) gotta get army to help me find the best either single or dual esc that will let me give those motors the most volts possible......lol, army I await your input!!!!
    How big are the Hitachi's? I dont think it would be hard to do! You might have to make a brace to help hold the weight of the motors up. I know 1 Dewalt is about the same as 2 550 cans in weight. So......2 motors about the same weight as a Dewalt will need some help to hold them up. Should be cake-walk after that MOTHER MONSTER your doing!

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    i think it will depend on the timing on the motors if you'll be able to run one reversed. I know the dewalt has advanced timing and takes a bit modifying to get them to 0. were you originally going to build something along the lines of a clod buster, or have i getting mixed up somewhere.
    I think he's going to put both (them) on the same side. I could be wrong! I know the Pic has 1on both sides.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-06-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    jarhead, got big plans for those big motors! hmmm thinking a crawler? Im guessing I should get some good torgue from the Hitachi's? but im looking at mounting them on the other side of the motor mounting plate, something like the setup on the E Revo (#5603) gotta get army to help me find the best either single or dual esc that will let me give those motors the most volts possible......lol, army I await your input!!!![IMG]
    As mentioned, the motors may not have neutral timing, in which case you can't run one reversed as the stock brushed erevo is laid out.
    Both motors would need to be on the same side, as with the stock emaxx setup; you may be able to spin the tranny around and fit the emaxx 3903 motor mount in order to use 2 brushed motors. The evx2 should be alright with a pair of 550-650 sized motors, ( 36mm x 65mm ), but the larger can sizes ( 39mm ) may be a little too demanding for the esc and it may run hot- a fan may help, but I can't speak from personal experience- you need to have a look at all the other dewalt threads and get some idea of what's what...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-06-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: made the post more friendly

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend an ESC fan!!!!! One of the other threads on here he was playing in the snow. Im in N.C. and we dont get much snow and in the summer it can get to 110 on a hot day. Days like that....Im not taken mine out!!! In the winter it can get as low as around 40. I also have a place at Myrtle Beach S.C. and I dont even go there much in the summer due to a lot of people are there. Im more of September-March person. Ive been waiting for my ESC fan now for 3 weeks and still no show. I think a lot of it depends on where your location is.

RC Champion
    It gets hot around here too. I went to Circut City and bought a hard drive cooling module for $10. I zip-tied it to the rear shock tower and it works like a charm. It even comes with a screen filter that works great when running in sand.

RC Qualifier
    my plan was both on the opposite side of the tranning side by side, instead of over the tranning, gotta hit the drafting table and design the motor mounting plate modifications, then its off to the machine shop !

nope jarhead your right!

Power, doesn't the dewalt have brushes that can be replaced? I agree on what you said about dewalt, that is their power, and dependability! We have had some Hitachi's at my shop for years, and they have taken some abuse, lol actually we have gone through about a half dozen replacement batteries and still have the original drills! I just already had the Hitachi,s around
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-06-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Power, doesn't the dewalt have brushes that can be replaced? I agree on what you said about dewalt, that is their power, and dependability! We have had some Hitachi's at my shop for years, and they have taken some abuse, lol actually we have gone through about a half dozen replacement batteries and still have the original drills! I just already had the Hitachi,s around
    Yep!!! The Brushes can be replaced on the Dewalt motor! Looks like you got some work cut out for you! Looks like I might do what Power did and go to Best Buy and get a fan. Wish I could get something for the motor but I know Dewalt can take some heat!

RC Qualifier
    most of the time my 12t traxxas motors break the brush arm so being able to replace brushes would be great!

RC Qualifier
    most of the time my 12t traxxas motors break the brush arm so being able to replace brushes would be great!
    Cant you get replacement brushes for you motors also?

Hope there new motors want be to expensive for you!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-06-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    no, not for the Hitachi

RC Champion
    i would of thought you could get replacement brushes for hitachi's, there not exactly throw away diy drills.
    Dewalt has lots of service centres worldwide which makes them a popular choice as you can replacement parts.
    Whats the drill model number i'll search to see if you can get brushes and see what the motor looks like?

RC Qualifier

hey trax it looks like this, an over sized 12t...lol
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Qualifier
    About the same size as Dewalt.

Wish I was able to get to me wire connectors like that!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-06-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    yeah im betting the Dewalt is much better

I don't have the drill casings anymore,
    here are the numbers on the motor:

RS-775WC-8514
    made in china
    TD278Y20 CCW15
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-06-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: merge
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Champion
    it will look big, thats 18v motor. 273W
    Made by Mabuchi for Hitachi. I assume the 775 is also made by Mabuchi.
    Two m4 mounting holes 29mm apart
    Complete length of motor including the 5mm shaft is 90mm. The length of the actual can is 67mm
    the width is 47mm
    no load rpm's 19500
    To power 18v motor you going to need an esc to power it.
    and using the magic of google http://forum.woodtools.ru/index.php?...0;attach=79213

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-the-Titan-775

RC Qualifier
    Trax....Do you have fans on your truck? Power......Can you PM me some more info on how you have your fan system and pix if it works this time? LOL!

RC Champion
    i don't run fans i just have cut out front grill area and rear window out. Also the english heat isn't that warm so that helps.
    i cut the top and bottom black area out in front this was before i done it.

and the whole rear window.

I believe fans only help if cool air can enter the body and leave. instead of being al enclosed and the air inside gets warmer then the fan blows that warm air back onto a motor making it hotter, then heating up the air even more,Like a bad air circulation.

another pointer the number on the motor the last two digits on mine is 11 everybody elses is 21, i think this is the timing on the motor. I'm not 100% sure on this as i haven't found out for certain yet.Again i'm not certain on this but this could run slightly more cooler than the 21. again I'm not 100% sure about this as i've seen numbers 00,04 and a couple others.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-09-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I've been this thinking about the same with my windows. It helped with my 3.3!

RC Champion
    Ya, if you really have temp issues, a roll cage allows huge amounts of air flow around the electronics, but it is also heavier than a plastic body. Fans help anyway, because the body is not sealed, air enters and exits through the well wells and other places. Cutting up the body helps with temps, but you should reinforce the rear window so that it is supported in a chrash/roll, which is the point of a body.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    Ya, if you really have temp issues, a roll cage allows huge amounts of air flow around the electronics, but it is also heavier than a plastic body. Fans help anyway, because the body is not sealed, air enters and exits through the well wells and other places. Cutting up the body helps with temps, but you should reinforce the rear window so that it is supported in a chrash/roll, which is the point of a body.
    Im not going to have temp issues. Well.....Hope not! Still not put power to system yet. Im doing all I can before it gets power.

RC Champion
    I would run it first check temps every so often. If its on the hotter side of ok then work your magic.
    If it's far too hot change gearing.
    Don't be afraid, Just make sure everything is calibrated,set up and plugged in.
    my motor was running 111f on english summers evening.( I think the outside temperature reached double figures that night).
    Off road on football field it was 82.1f. That was cooler day.

the ESC was 90f for the evening
    and 113f for the field.
    both geared 28/64

RC Champion
    Yes, ambient temp does matter, but I know people who have thermaled MMM in -30 degree (celcus or ferenhit, its still cold at -30) weather so be careful.

Trax- ur running it in a 3906, right?

RC Champion
    yeah, heavy old 3906.Yep my esc was hotter on the cooler day.

RC Champion
    I thought that the 3906 was lighter than the new maxx, and the way the tranny is arranged makes for much less restriction on the gearing. U running an EVX or an EVX-2?

RC Champion
    3906 wide maxx, blue evx2,rpm arms, alloy bulks, f+r cvd's changed the centre back to stock after the recent tmaxx 4908 diff install.
    It weighs quite a bit guessing at least 10lb. Having said that, the motor approx weighs 3lb of that.
    Lipos are light so that helps.The dimension size of the motor and transmission restricts gearing.I use the 28t pinion and just adjust between spurs now 64,66,72t. The 24t only meshes on 72 spur.
    I'll weigh it one day, it is heavy and may be even heavier.

got it weight at 9.7lb without lipos on the WII balance board.was hanging over the edge of the board a bit but was on.
    my guess was good at 10lb.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-11-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Nice truck, what body do you run on it?

RC Champion
    was on when i bought it. i like the colour and will use that colour as main paint on next body, when i find a one i like..

RC Qualifier
    I got my fan today but it looks sooooo small. Its a Traxxas fan for the EVX3.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think they are 30 or 40mm square ( EVX2 I think you meant, or vxl ).

They do move alot of air though as they are high rpm fans- kerhsaw sells kits for much larger ~60mm fans with mounting brackets if you wanted another option, though you need 6v fans if you plug them into the rx for power- 12v fans running at half power aren't much cop..

RC Champion
    They are very small, but as AOD said, they pack a punch. Remember, the bigger the fan, the more it weighs and the more power it draws away from your truck.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    I think they are 30 or 40mm square ( EVX2 I think you meant, or vxl ).

They do move alot of air though as they are high rpm fans- kerhsaw sells kits for much larger ~60mm fans with mounting brackets if you wanted another option, though you need 6v fans if you plug them into the rx for power- 12v fans running at half power aren't much cop..
    Your right Army! Its 30mm square.

RC Champion
    He is usually right, and think of the size of the heat sink, its not huge by any means.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah.....Now I've got to find away to mount it. The one I got from Best Buy was so big!!!

RC Qualifier
    Army....My fan is a Vxl-3s. Traxxas part#3340! Ive been out of town this wkend and I came home tonight and had went and checked the mail and what did I find......My Rc raven dual rate springs! Looks like ill be working on the truck some in the a.m.!

Well....I got springs installed, pinon gear on motor, motor cover back on, and it looks like I need to make another run to my LHS for a short power lead extension, some ends for the motor,and bullet ends to plug the esc.

Last edited by cooleocool; 09-13-2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    PIc not work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    PIc not work
    What Pics Power? I see Pics on my end!