Thread: Dirt Jump Help

RC Competitor

Dirt Jump Help

I am building a simple dirt oval on my property, but I am not quit sure how to build dirt ramps and how to make them stay, also I ripped up the dead grass and am watering the dirt, but how do I keep it dirt with no grass? Help!
    Witness Racing

RC Qualifier
    Driving on it and whatever raking/shoveling you do to smooth out the track should be enough to keep the grass and weeds at bay. Just don't let it sit unused for too long and you should be good to go.
    For building jumps, dampen the dirt a little and place it where you want in layers. Compact the dirt between layers with a tamper, shovel, or just your boot and it should stay put.
    I usually will build a track quickly and then after driving it I'll figure out what changes I want to make. Like build a landing ramp here, widen a turn there, etc.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Competitor
    thanks dude

Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    Driving on it and whatever raking/shoveling you do to smooth out the track should be enough to keep the grass and weeds at bay. Just don't let it sit unused for too long and you should be good to go.
    For building jumps, dampen the dirt a little and place it where you want in layers. Compact the dirt between layers with a tamper, shovel, or just your boot and it should stay put.
    I usually will build a track quickly and then after driving it I'll figure out what changes I want to make. Like build a landing ramp here, widen a turn there, etc.
    OK finished the track the ramp held up OK. It started as a launcher and ended up as a glorified rumple strip. How do I stop that from happening
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-17-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: merge
    Witness Racing

RC Champion
    Not really sure unless you incorporated like plastic jumps in the dirt track.. I think itd be pretty cool
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    OK finished the track the ramp held up OK. It started as a launcher and ended up as a glorified rumple strip. How do I stop that from happening
    What type of dirt is on your property? Sounds like maybe there's no clay to hold it together. Usually compacting moist soil into place is what it takes, unless its a clean sand. Sand just falls apart when it dries. I have a track in the sand and it takes a lot of upkeep to keep it like I like it. Like Hurley said, you can try plastic or even plywood or carpet to line the jump.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Racer
    If there's no clay in the jumps, I'd start looking around the neighborhood, and take snicklefritz's advice, and find a scrap or 3 of carpet. You'd be aamazed at what you can find, when you look at what people throw away, when they remodel. even a trip to the local dump... pardon me, transfer station, can turn up some great finds, and you will only have spent time, in looking. either that, or contact local excavation companies, and your local DOT, to see if they have any clay, from a recent project, that they're looking to get rid of. It may cost you $10-20/ cubic yard, or they may drop a couple of yards at your house, if they're in the neighborhood, for free. Don't be afraid to tell them what your doing with it, because some company owners might give you the clay, having the thought in mind, that if you keep the racing/ bashing at home, it keeps it out of their pits. Never know, until you ask Just a thought
    LCG BL Slash, 5803 Slash, 2 scale trucks WIP

RC Competitor
    maybe i will make plywood jumps and cover them with dirt. I live in Texas so there is dry sad dirt from no rain
    Witness Racing

RC Racer
    I made a track in May and I made dirt ramps and when it rains they wash out always moving dirt . Now no rain in Iowa and my ramps are a mess . Just move your dirt and hit it with some water to firm them before you race . Also use round up to spray weeds . Works great !

RC Racer
    Witness, what about filling sand bags, and piling the dirt up on the approach and departure sides of the "new" jumps? The fuller the bag, the bigger the jump Just a thought

RC Qualifier
    I used old carpet to line my track with. I had tons of people tell me it would smell-- but have not had any issues-- and my nose is super-sensitive. I also have chipped bark on top of it all--- the combination of carpet and small bark chips reduces both mud and grass issues. I have been working on mine for awhile and will start adding landscaping this week-- it will look like an english garden with a rally track in the middle of it. Should be interesting when it snows... making plans to "ice it" this winter
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by revv-it View Post
    Witness, what about filling sand bags, and piling the dirt up on the approach and departure sides of the "new" jumps? The fuller the bag, the bigger the jump Just a thought
    nice thought revv
    Witness Racing

RC Competitor
    Glad that works for you, I like a traditional dirt track
    Witness Racing

RC Racer
    THanks, Witness. It popped into my head, as I read this thread again, and it was the simplest way I could think, to make reliable, "tunable" jumps