RC Qualifier

Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800kv gearing?

So I'm getting a slash 2wd for Christmas. I just recently purchased a castle Sidewinder SCT 3800kv combo. I first put this in my rusty, after a few runs with NMiH traxxas batteries geared at 23/86 the motor or esc needs to be sent in.
    So I'm gonna put this systems in my slash once I get it back from castle. What gearing should I run for good top speed and bashing. I'd like to be in the high 30's low 40's. I'm only gonna be running NMiH battery's for now, I don't know when I'll go to Lipo. If I makes any difference I'm also getting proline bead-loc with badlands for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock gearing should be fine, if you want a little more low-end grunt and wheelies, go down a tooth or two on the pinion.

Don't recommend NiMH with that combo, they just can deliver the current the ESC will be trying to draw. Like you, I was planning on waiting to go Lipo, but the ESC and motor would be nice and cool, but my batteries would be 180 deg +. Plus, the performance difference with this combo is night and day between NiMH and Lipos.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Get lipos or you will continue to have problems. The AMP draw the castle needs is more than nimh can handle. You can get 4100 mah 25 c's for around 30 bucks. Pretty small investment

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by race19s View Post
    Get lipos or you will continue to have problems. The AMP draw the castle needs is more than nimh can handle. You can get 4100 mah 25 c's for around 30 bucks. Pretty small investment
    Yes I know it seems like only 30 bucks but then you need a charger, any recommendations on a charger?

RC Qualifier

Greatscott, will the slash really do a wheelie?

And is Lipo really needed? Is the NMiH battery ok or is it bad to use them for this system?

Last edited by iZach98; 12-18-2013 at 08:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Nihm isn't bad for this system I run 4 nihm packs n 2 spcracing 5000mah 2s lipo packs. It runs great on both. Nihm's get hot on any thing we use including my sons stock slash.

The lipo will give a bit longer run time but the big difference will be its consistent power thru the pack. Not a drop off like the nihm packs.

5000mah 2s 50c pack for $32
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=56
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Qualifier
    Not with the stock gearing it won't pull wheelies, because the motor is a 4 pole and it has so much torque it will just spin the tires the lower you gear it. Geared 23-76 with a 2s lipo you can pull a wheelie depending what surface your on, but that also won't happen with the stock tires either. But if your going to be running nimh batteries I would stick with the stock gearing.
    Last edited by dontlift19; 12-18-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    Greatscott, will the slash really do a wheelie?

And is Lipo really needed? Is the NMiH battery ok or is it bad to use them for this system?

I spend so much time keeping the front end of my 2wd and 4wd slashes on the ground I forget a lot of younger fellas still want to do it on purpose.
    While I've never owned one I'm told the stamped is a wheelie machine.
    Imo and experience the slash wasn't made to be a wheelie truck, this isn't to say they wont of course.
    A lipo can deliver a stronger discharge then a NiMh battery but by doing a few drive-train adjustments will usually help in the wheelie department.
    Not to sound mean but most of the things you have to do to a stock slashs imo will cause more grief then fun.
    Going from reverse to forward,, wheelies yes, broken truck most likely.
    Good luck and I wish you all the fun in the world with you new slash but would hate to see it sitting on a shelf broken from trying to pull wheelies.
    Merry xmas.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier

Thanks, yes indeed the stampede is a wheelie machine! Even on a 12T titan stock gearing and pretty much stock except for the wheelie bar. It does wheelies like crazy!
    What about a charger for Lipo?

RC Qualifier

Also what is the stock gearing on the slash?
    Can't seem to find it on Traxxas.com

RC Qualifier
    Mine came 19/90 with the Titan - I run the cc3800 on 23/86

RC Champion
    iZach98.. I have that setup in one of my Slashes and honestly I wouldn't run it with a Nimh battery. You are going to trash the battery and not get anything close to what the system is designed for. If you want to see upper 30's to low 40's, you will need to run around a 25+ pinion with a 83 spur gear. you can adjust accordingly from there. My Slash is running 28/86, but I'm running 60C 2S 6000mah lipo's. It will wheelie all day at just about any speed if it can get traction. One difference I do is run only 1/8th buggy tires either slicks, street tread or pins if running on the street. The stock tires didn't last 2 batteries with this setup. Invest in a good set of batteries and a decent lipo charger. They are cheap enough now that there really isn't any reason you can't get one.
    I do have a question for you... What happened that you had to send back the esc and motor to Castle? I had one catch fire about 6 months ago, but I have a few that are 3-4 years old and still going strong..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    I like 19/86 on 2s...very fast and runs cool
    Stampede 4x4 VXL.......Slash Raptor 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    iZach98.. I have that setup in one of my Slashes and honestly I wouldn't run it with a Nimh battery. You are going to trash the battery and not get anything close to what the system is designed for. If you want to see upper 30's to low 40's, you will need to run around a 25+ pinion with a 83 spur gear. you can adjust accordingly from there. My Slash is running 28/86, but I'm running 60C 2S 6000mah lipo's. It will wheelie all day at just about any speed if it can get traction. One difference I do is run only 1/8th buggy tires either slicks, street tread or pins if running on the street. The stock tires didn't last 2 batteries with this setup. Invest in a good set of batteries and a decent lipo charger. They are cheap enough now that there really isn't any reason you can't get one.
    I do have a question for you... What happened that you had to send back the esc and motor to Castle? I had one catch fire about 6 months ago, but I have a few that are 3-4 years old and still going strong..
    Well I ran 2 NMiH battery's through it at 23/86 gearing, by the time I went to do the 3rd run on it the motor vibrated like a cell phone but a lot. I don't know if the motor just over heated but I'm going to mail it out tommorrow. I have no idea what happened to the motor but it's under the warrenty so I'm good.
    For a Lipo charger how is the traxxas 6 amp Lipo charger? My little bro is just getting into Lipo so my parents got him that charger and a traxxas Lipo. Is the traxxas lipo's any good and the chargers any good?

RC Competitor
    The amount of amps it can safely charge at is in direct relation to the MAH # on the battery. Max charge on a 3000MAH battery is 3 amps.

RC Champion
    iZach.. hopefully the motor didn't overheat. that is the one thing that Castle doesn't cover under warranty. running that gearing, I doubt that would be the case however. Castle is very good about fixing/replacing things so you should be good there. You can tell if the motor over heated easily with them. The end bells (covers) will get a brown ring around them when they run too hot. At least they used to.
    As for the batteries and charger.. the batteries are pretty good. Not a fan of lower C ratings but from some friends who use them, they perform like batteries with much higher C ratings. .The charger is a basic charger and should be fine for pretty much any battery up to aroudn 6000 Mah...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Ok, yeah I doubt that the motor over heated, I have no idea what happens but I'm mailing it today. Hopefully everything goes well with castle. I did play around with programming it a bit. Just the throttle curves and the brake curves, and the motor timing, punch control and a few other things I can't remember now. I may be able to post up the setting or something later today.

RC Competitor
    The amount of amps it can safely charge at is in direct relation to the MAH # on the battery. Max charge on a 3000MAH battery is 3 amps.
    That used to be the case, and to be conservative, is still the case. However, most batteries these days can also be charged at a rate several times that, safely and without problems. Take a look at the specs of each battery purchased and you'll see the max suggested charge rates. For example, my (two other brands of) batteries can be charged at 2 and 3 times that rate, safely.
    Last edited by dclive; 12-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dclive View Post
    That used to be the case, and to be conservative, is still the case. However, most batteries these days can also be charged at a rate several times that, safely and without problems. Take a look at the specs of each battery purchased and you'll see the max suggested charge rates. For example, my (two other brands of) batteries can be charged at 2 and 3 times that rate, safely.
    Conservative will give you a longer lasting battery life. Can you charge at 6 amps? Sure, but the amount of charges it will take decreases.

RC Competitor
    Conservative will give you a longer lasting battery life. Can you charge at 6 amps? Sure, but the amount of charges it will take decreases.
    It will? At just 6 amps? 6 amps is nothing these days (for the sake of conversation though, we were focused on a 3000 mah battery). There are now many manufacturers / resellers that suggest 2C, 3C, and even 5C charge rates. They're now selling 10 amp and 20 amp chargers - and the batteries are still working fine.

Let me emphasize that conservative is good, but it is the manufacturers themselves who state that higher C charge ratings are supported. If they're willing to support it, and evidence of problems is mostly anecdotal with modern batteries, why shouldn't we charge at the higher rate?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    Mine came 19/90 with the Titan - I run the cc3800 on 23/86
    To clarify, you're running the Castle 4 pole 1410 motor with the SV3-generation "Sidewinder SCT", which is waterproof, at 23/86 in a Slash 2WD? I have temperature telemetry installed and will be doing a few speed runs soon with exactly this setup and was curious what to expect.

RC Qualifier
    I have the non waterproof 3800 sidewinder sct - but I run staying about 135 on the motor. I take breaks every 15-20 minutes. at the beginning I'd check temps every 5 min to make sure it was staying consistent. Let me know how the telemetry works for u.

RC Racer
    You should always go with what the manufacturer of the motor/esc state you should gear it at and use that as a starting point. For castle I believe they have a motor gearing chart that you can download, find your motor, find the slash and then you know where to start.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    I have the non waterproof 3800 sidewinder sct - but I run staying about 135 on the motor. I take breaks every 15-20 minutes. at the beginning I'd check temps every 5 min to make sure it was staying consistent. Let me know how the telemetry works for u.
    Telemetry is working great. So far I just have temperature hooked up; I'm still waiting on the power tap hookup and some RPM hardware.

This motor isn't even sweating. I got it all the way up to 100 today. I have the telemetry wrapped around the wired side (the probe is right near the 3 wires that route to the ESC); it just doesn't get that hot, even after 15 minute high speed and multiple start/stop runs. Today was mostly concrete and the ambient was 50s, so it's not the best test, but this just isn't getting hot.

And this is on 23/86, 2WD Slash, Castle SCT (waterproof gen 3) + 3800 (1410).

RC Qualifier
    Mine only got to 150 once while I was in Florida running all out in 90 plus temps

Quote Originally Posted by dclive View Post
    Telemetry is working great. So far I just have temperature hooked up; I'm still waiting on the power tap hookup and some RPM hardware.

This motor isn't even sweating. I got it all the way up to 100 today. I have the telemetry wrapped around the wired side (the probe is right near the 3 wires that route to the ESC); it just doesn't get that hot, even after 15 minute high speed and multiple start/stop runs. Today was mostly concrete and the ambient was 50s, so it's not the best test, but this just isn't getting hot.

And this is on 23/86, 2WD Slash, Castle SCT (waterproof gen 3) + 3800 (1410).