RC Champion

Couple Brushed Q's

I just down graded my erevo to a brushed setup using a titan 775 motor and the evx2 esc. I bought some of the traxxas 3000mah batteries as well. This is for my daughter and i bought a brushed rustler for my son. So my questions are:
    -How do I know when the battery are dead?
    -On my chargers, (Hyperion Duo II, Icharger 208B, and Icharger 1010B) Do I charge in auto or manual mode. I just charged the packs in manual mode and they stopped at the setting of 3000mah.
    -How hot can the titan 775 and 550 get before backing it down a little.
    -What maintenance is needed for the brushed motors
    I am currently geared at 18/68 in the erevo and 19/86 in the rustler, are these good to start with.
    -Can I run lipos in any

I think that's it for now. Kinds weird coming from truggies, buggies, and mt's to now brushed setups. I feel like a total noob for asking these questions. Also if there is anything else I should know please feel free to let me know.
    Thanks

Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divey1130 View Post
    -How do I know when the battery are dead?
    The trucks start slowing down a lot and the power/ punch drops off- don't run them until the trucks won't move.

-On my chargers, (Hyperion Duo II, Icharger 208B, and Icharger 1010B) Do I charge in auto or manual mode. I just charged the packs in manual mode and they stopped at the setting of 3000mah.
    Depends what auto and manual mode actually are, regards settings used or selected? Set the charger for nimh mode and the charge current for 3amps, that's all you need to do really- if there is a capacity limit you can set then make sure it's a fair bit higher than the rated capacity. Might be worth checking the manual for more insight regards the nimh settings- peak voltage settings in particular ( mV usually ).

-How hot can the titan 775 and 550 get before backing it down a little.
    I imagine brushed motor magnets are very similar to BL motor ones, perhaps a bit less tolerant to heat even, so say 150-180*F tops, not certain on that one.

-What maintenance is needed for the brushed motors
    If they get filled with mud or dirt you should flush them out with clean water, then use a compressor to blast out any remaining debris and dry them out. A single drop of oil on the bearings/bushings is plenty to keep them spinning smooth, or if you prefer you can get dry lubes which don't attract dirt- look up 'White Lightning Clean Ride'.

I am currently geared at 18/68 in the erevo and 19/86 in the rustler, are these good to start with.
    Erevo is fine, can't gear it any higher really as the motor wont like it too much. Not sure on the rusty- read the manual & check the gearing chart on the truck's product page.

-Can I run lipos in any
    Short answer = read my guides:

Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

Long answer = You will need a matching pair of 2s lipos for the erevo- minimum spec of 25c ~5000mah ideally, and some form of LVC like the 'Chargery BM6' you can find on ebay. Plugs into one of the lipo's balance connector and gives off a loud buzz when the voltage drops low, that's when you stop running ( 3.4v per cell is ideal ). Same deal with the rusty, it just uses a single 2s lipo.

I think that's it for now. Kinds weird coming from truggies, buggies, and mt's to now brushed setups. I feel like a total noob for asking these questions. Also if there is anything else I should know please feel free to let me know.
    Thanks

Terry
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    If you are using a single 775 motor in an E-Revo, I'd be concerned with temperature issues. That's alot of weight for one motor to move. Even in a dual set-up the biggest problem with brushed motors is temperature problems. Traxxas motor gets too hot = brushes breaking off = complete motor replacement = $$.

To avoid excessive temperatures, punching it from a dead stand still is a huge factor along with prolonged running at full throttle. Unfortunately if your young daughter is driving she may not have the finesse to avoid this. For about $6 you can get a motor fan/heatsink that should help reduce motor temperatures somewhat.

RC Champion
    Hey thanks guys. If the motor burns up then she gets the brushless setup tuned down. One last question, How long can the batteries sit with a full charge, half charge, and dead.
    I think I would want to not go below 1.0 vpc or is it 0.8 vpc?

Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    0.9v for nimh cells- there seem to be alot of opinions about how best to store or look after them though; I've always charged them after use and then topped them up shortly before using them again, but it;s worth dong a bit of reading around the different manufacturers to see what the general consensus is- Jakey might be a good person to ask.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...