Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Rustler VXL Aluminum Transmission Case

So I am new to upgrading my rustler VXL.

Yes I did search the forums but couldnt quite find the answer i am looking for.

I want to upgrade to a Aluminum transmission case but dont know which one to get.

I like the integy case: http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Box-Silve...3280997&sr=1-2

I would buy this but dont know anything about it and need to know if the Traxxas wheely bar will work with it or not.

Dont know much about an REM case or whatever.

Keep in mind I do not want to do any modding and need the wheely bar to fit.

Thank you !

RC Competitor
    HD Evolution?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you want to mount traxxas wheelie bar you need the HD evolution.

RC Competitor
    And so i would be unable to mount the wheelie bar with the case i provided? Thanks for the reply.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by schneeRC View Post
    And so i would be unable to mount the wheelie bar with the case i provided? Thanks for the reply.
    No the traxxas wheelie bar,an aftermarket yes the one that is attached under the chassis.

RC Competitor
    Is there one you recommend over the other if i were to buy a different wheelie bar?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have HR wheelie bar, recently installed, I like it so far, at least it seems much better than stock plastic, and it comes with rubber tires.

RC Competitor
    Alright one last question. Which of the two cases the HD Evolution or the other one do you personally recommend. If you even know, just wondering..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't have any of those just know the HD allows to mount traxxas wheelie bar and the regular integy doesn't, I have FLM case.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 08-13-2011 at 08:44 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The REM case will allow you to mount the traxxas wheelie bar (or any wheelie bar for that matter) and is made of far better aluminum material than the integy case. Its an extremely well built piece and has an amazing warranty (not that youll need it) with that said it does cost almost double what the integy costs but IMO its worth every penny.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Agree with Pave. I have never owned an Itengy case though so I can really comment on the quality of it but just looking at it alone up next to the REM case you can tell the REM is made of a better grade aluminum.
    Rustler CC3800 || Stampede VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get an integy case for a 2wd slash and it should work. Search the integy site, they have tons of different ones
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Champion
    I have an Integy gear box for my Rustler and I had to make an aluminum piece to fit my stock wheelie bar. I don't know anything about the others.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Can someone pm me a link the the other gear boxes? Can't seem to find them.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadRC View Post
    Agree with Pave. I have never owned an Itengy case though so I can really comment on the quality of it but just looking at it alone up next to the REM case you can tell the REM is made of a better grade aluminum.
    Just curious if you've had both of them side by side?

I've had nothing but success with my 3 Integy cases. I just don't believe Integy is bad as the some of the press it gets here. I had the opportunity to meet some folks who have used Integy for a looong time and have had all the success with their parts as some have with REM, FLM and XYZ.

I'm not a shill and have limited experience in RC but I have been fortunate to meet quite a few folks who are very knowledgeable and experienced in this business. Having gained quite a bit of information through research and personal experiences (have Integy parts that have held up well) I consider myself fortunate to have a reasonable understanding of parts and pieces and the integration of these items. IOW, Integy makes some pretty good parts/pieces. Doesn't mean they're all good, but certainly not all bad either.

I currently have in my possession REM, Lunsford, FLM, Integy, and STRC parts. I dare anyone to tell the difference in any of them by looking, feeling, and most importantly in use.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Champion
    The only problem I see with the REM gearbox is that you cannot fit anything bigger than a 1/10 scale motor. That's what's nice about the FLM and Integy boxes. They don't shroud the motor.
    Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ive got years of experience with integy and have found that their aluminum is of a very poor quality... its brittle and when it bends it tends to crack. Thats a sign of weak aluminum. Pretty much any part ive ever owned from them has been this way, on the other hand, a low stress part wont likely be effected by poor quality aluminum so it should be fine. A trans case on a truck thats not going to get bashed super hard and jumped down 10 foot flights of stairs or out of a quarter pipe will probably be fine. But if you want to bash your truck relentlessly... I honestly doubt the integy case will last. Ive bent a venom and Hot Racing case (the motor plate, not the actual gear enclosure) to the point they were unusable and unfixable... but I just cant seem to kill this REM case no matter how hard I try.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the answers. I will probably go with the REM case because i have not heard anything negative about it.

RC Qualifier
    WOW how big of a motor do yo need... REM case should hold a brushless 550... Anymore than that is insane..
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    The only problem I see with the REM gearbox is that you cannot fit anything bigger than a 1/10 scale motor. That's what's nice about the FLM and Integy boxes. They don't shroud the motor.
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Champion
    I've had an integy case for well over two years. I bash hard. Used to be with a heavy 9 cell nimh pack but mostly with a 3s lipo. I'm being 100% honest here that over that time I've yet to have one issue with my integy case. It's flipped and been ran into stuff at high rates of speed. Nothing bent. Yes Integy has a very bad reputation. That being said, I gambled on buying one despite that reputation and it's never ever failed me. Very surprising. It's a rarity that the integy case is solid compared to the rest of the crap they put out, but it's a decent piece for the price.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

RC Champion
    I hva ethe Integy case. If I was to do it over again I would get either the REM one or the golden horizons one just because I hate not being able to use stock anything for the rear bumper area. Yes I did put a RPM front bumper back there and it works but I would like to have more options. T-bone racing makes one that screws into the bottom of the chassis which is nice. But all in all I would want stock design. I'm not sure if Integy makes one like that I just know the one I have and the FLM my friend has do not and it's a pain.

Integey makes 2 versions, one with only a plate and one were there is some sort of house.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Nobody is born with experience.

Even though it requires some minor chassis mods I still feel the original aluminum case is the best, the FLM case. It gives you the option of 1 or 4 of rear toe in, has an open motor bay that allows any motor to be mounted, and comes with an optional plate to allow mounting of stock wheelie bar or bumpers. It is also the only alloy case that gives you the options to properly adjust anti squat.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    That extra plate that FLM gives you doesn't seem to work for us. . We have it on my friends tranny and it still doesn't allow anything to be attached to it.

And moderate chassis mod. . . You have to cut a square into your chassis below where the stock ESC sits. . Annoying. And you have to sand down the rear corners to allow the RPM A-arms to fit without rubbing. . . Not a fan.

Just my opinion though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Integey makes 2 versions, one with only a plate and one were there is some sort of house.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    This may be, my LHS screwed me on that because I asked them for the one that will fit the stock rear accessories and they sent me the one that fits the Rusty. . . . ? They said they where the same. . .

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    That extra plate that FLM gives you doesn't seem to work for us. . We have it on my friends tranny and it still doesn't allow anything to be attached to it.

And moderate chassis mod. . . You have to cut a square into your chassis below where the stock ESC sits. . Annoying. And you have to sand down the rear corners to allow the RPM A-arms to fit without rubbing. . . Not a fan.

Just my opinion though.
    You are doing something wrong if you cant mount the stock or RPM rear bumper up with the curved plate FLM inculdes with the tranny. I have the RPM bumper/wheelie bar mount bolted up to mine no problem.

The mods needed to make the tranny fit are easy with a Dremel or like tool, takes me about 5 min to do a fresh chassis to fit the FLM case. To each their own I guess but to me it is well worth he effort for the benefit.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I agree that once you do the chassis mod that it's easy to do again. But still it's a little weird you have to do that. . . And as for the plate how many ways can there be to hook it up ? I got the extended screws and everything and I still can't get the RPM motor guard to fit or the stock Traxxas motor guard. . ? ? ? ?

No idea what is giving you the issue mounting up the RPM bumper. I did add an Axail stand off to use one of the extra mounting locations the RPM bumper mount uses but it would bolt up even without that.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    I do not recommend the golden horizons transmission case, the screws don't line up very well and the arm mount is stripped where it attaches to the case so my arm mount is held on by the two screws on the left side of the case the hold the case to the chassis. I would get rem or flm if i was to get another case, it is worth the extra money to get a quality tranny case that will lase a lifetime of bashing, and even if you aren't going to bash it, it will hold up better in crashes and will be extremely reliable.

RC Champion
    I run the integy case and t bone wheelie bar on my stampede,The open motor bay gives me a drop in temps so i can run a bit higher gearing, but works just as good on the rustler.

RC Champion
    I also use the T-Bone racing wheelie bar same as Jaman. No motor guard as the wheelie bar does a sufficient job IMO. Works great!!
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC poster
    what kind of modification is required to the rustler chassis to accommodate the flm case?
    Rustler VXL on SPC 3s :: Summit on Ener-G 4600's

RC Competitor
    I'm interested in getting the REM case, but have one question. Looking at the picture on their website ( http://www.racersedgemachine.com/sit...se-243x231.jpg ) it seems as the transmission is just one piece. Does this not come with the cover that is on the right side of the rustler that you open to change the pinion gear?

I'm still very new to this hobby, so I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sano View Post
    I'm interested in getting the REM case, but have one question. Looking at the picture on their website ( http://www.racersedgemachine.com/sit...se-243x231.jpg ) it seems as the transmission is just one piece. Does this not come with the cover that is on the right side of the rustler that you open to change the pinion gear?

I'm still very new to this hobby, so I just want to be sure.

Thanks!
    I dont think any of the aluminum cases come with the gear cover but all of them accept the stock cover.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I dont think any of the aluminum cases come with the gear cover but all of them accept the stock cover.
    Gotcha.

I see now that Integy and HR make some aluminum gear cases that are on ebay that fit stock. Will get one of those as well then.

Hopefully it's not too hard to install the aluminum tranny once I do get it. =]

Thanks for the reply!

I just got the integy open motor case also and am happy with it. Ul need ur own screws, but its the only integy part id recommend.

I just ordered the HR graphite/alum case. The design is the same as their full aluminum case

You can adjust anti-squat like the flm case.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC poster
    +1000. I purchased a Golden Horizon box for my Rustler. Biggest piece of garbage. I could not believe it. The keyed pieces that help align the two halves were out of spec, causing there to be a 1/16" gap between the two halves. Also, on one of the sides, the bearing recesses were not machined deep enough so the bearing cannot seat far enough. Pure garbage. Now I need to try to get my money back from the guy I purchased it off of from ebay. For the price, I should have known better. Just another cheap chinese piece of junk. I will try the FLM next.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtburner12 View Post
    I do not recommend the golden horizons transmission case, the screws don't line up very well and the arm mount is stripped where it attaches to the case so my arm mount is held on by the two screws on the left side of the case the hold the case to the chassis. I would get rem or flm if i was to get another case, it is worth the extra money to get a quality tranny case that will lase a lifetime of bashing, and even if you aren't going to bash it, it will hold up better in crashes and will be extremely reliable.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Get an integy case for a 2wd slash and it should work. Search the integy site, they have tons of different ones
    And another vote for the Integy. Nothing wrong with them. They work just as well as the $60 brand at half the price.

No one on here as ever done any testing to prove or disprove the quality of aluminum for any of the cases. Don't know why they keep saying such things.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    And another vote for the Integy. Nothing wrong with them. They work just as well as the $60 brand at half the price.

No one on here as ever done any testing to prove or disprove the quality of aluminum for any of the cases. Don't know why they keep saying such things.
    The Integy case has done better than most of their products but htere have been a few problems reported here on this forum over the past year or two. I have seen a report of the holes not linking up where it mounts tot he chassis, and a few who had the bearing recesses egg out, and numerous reports of the hardware being terrible. Still it seems better than the majority of their parts but IMO not up to the same standards as some of the other brands.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power