RC Enthusiast

R/C Newcomer needs help!

So I've had my rustler vxl for about a week now and absolutely LOVE it! I've ran rc cars before and am currently starting a track in my backyard. I have everything prepared for having a fun time except for batteries!!! The batteries i have now last for 10 minutes top and im sure there are batteries out there that are better. I have had some LiPo experience and understand them enough to use them but i dont know what to get. I will need a charger and 2 lipo batteries. I've looked at some batteries and i just dont know which ones will work the best. All the wisdom and help is wanted and very excited to get into racing.
    Thanks, Dane

RC Competitor
    Well, it depends on what you're looking for. Longer run times? More speed? Most folks run LiPos, but I'm one of the minority who still runs NiMh batteries.

They're fast enough for me. My Rusty is a street racer only, -my thing is drifting, and looping around neighborhood streets.

You should be getting more than 10 minutes out of your stock NiMh, but that depends on your driving style. I typically get 15-20 minutes out of mine. I bought another NiMh just like the one that came with my Rusty, so for me, I get enough run time.

SPC Racing is my brand of choice for LiPo batteries. You will see a lot of high praise for this company.
    For a charger: definitely get one that is compatible with both NiMH and LiPo packs. I believe you get what you pay for, and I would recommend something capable of 100 Watts or greater.

LiPo-capable chargers (or charging systems) have 3 main components : charger, balancer, and power supply. You need to decide whether you want all 3 in one box, all separate components, or some combination of 2 of the 3 components, and also what your budget is.

Oh yeah : Welcome!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    If possible im looking for both longer run times and better speeds. The track is going to be pretty big with all the room i have and i have long streets and i can just let it go fast on. And i think my charger may just not be fully charging the batteries enough which would explain the low run time. I really appreciate the help and i just cant wait to see what this car can do with some Lipos in it

RC Enthusiast
    thank you ksb51rl! I would have never known there were different components to the charging and i would have never known. How much would a good quality charging system complete with all 3 components run me about? money isnt really as important as long as it is good quality. Ive been looking at some ******* batteries also but ill make sure to look into the SPC Racing brand
    Thanks again

RC Qualifier
    The higher the mah rating, the longer the pack lasts...With Lipo's, the higher the "c" rating, the more punch you will have. A 2s Lipo will result in top speeds in the neighborhood of 40mph...a 3s Lipo will result in speeds in the 60mph+ neighborhood. For a charger with all three components you're probably looking around $100.... But if you look hard you may be able to get a little cheaper.

For good all-in-ones, I would start with the Dynamite Passport Ultra and the Hyperion EOS 0606i AC/DC.

I'll let others recommend the cheap Hong Kong brands.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks ssanderson1 i never could figure out the "c" rating. The price is decent i guess but ill definately look into it further to see if i can get it cheaper! and even though it is capable of holding 3s lipos will it fry the engine at all?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run 3s and love it, won't go to 2s now. I would stay away from ******* and go to SPC. *******'s are cheap but they are hit and miss whether they'll fit or not depending on the ones you get. SPC will fit and are a good quality pack, 2s for ~$25 and 3s for ~$35, can't go wrong.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Qualifier
    +1 for running on 3s. I've run 3s pretty exclusively and love it. Just watch your temps and you're fine. It IS possible to fry your motor/esc...but only if you're not careful. 3s is too fun to not use. On the charger....I have an Onyx 230 that I got used(but practically brand new) on eBay for like $50....then I bought a "blinky" lipo balancer for another $25 on eBay. That's all you'd need to maintain your lipos. $35 for 3s lipo and $75 for charger/balancer....that's pretty good for all the fun you'll have!

RC Champion
    To get back to one issue you referenced about very low run times..... perhaps your ESC has the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) enabled. If so, it'll cut your run time with NiMh by a good 5-10 minutes +/-.

Don't go cheap on a charger. If $$ comes into play then just get a battery that doesn't cost quite as much and get all the charger you can afford. You'll be glad down the road.

SPC gets rave reviews here as do several others. It really depends on how deep into LiPos you want to get. I run 2S 99% of the time and unable to keep the front wheels on the ground at WOT (wide open throttle).

There are batteries (Hyperion, Excelorin, Reedy, MaxAmps, Thunder Power et al) that can run $100+ on 2S. I have at least 2 of those batteries and they are totally killer. I also have a couple of Venom LiPos and they're average and don't cost a lot, but, your best bang for the buck will probably be the SPC unless you really wanna' get way deep into the LiPo arena.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy. A great place with lots of great folks. And most of the others (besides me) are really knowledgeable and have loads of experience and advice.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    wow thanks for all this information!! I looked more into the lipos and am really excited to get into them. Ive looked at countless reviews and found, batterie whise, SPC will be the best for what i plan to do. If i ever do end up going farther into racing i will deffinately look at the more expensive 2s ones. My only question now is if i were to purchase one 2s and one 3s and use them simultaneously will that cause any problems. Just want to make sure i know everything i can before i try these things.

RC Qualifier
    Simultaneously...? Like....run one pack till it's empty, then pull it out and put in the next? That is fine...but you'll want to gear down(use a smaller pinion size) otherwise you'll run into heat issues. Everything run way faster/hotter on 3s than 2s. Try something like a 16-19t pinion on 3s and monitor your temps...If everything's staying below 180 throughout the whole pack you're probably fine. If you do run packs back to back like that....I would run the 3s first, then the 2s.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Simultaneously is throwing me for a loop as well. You mean at the same time or one after the other. You can't run them at the same time. As for one after the other, you're going to want to change your gearing when you change your batteries since 3s uses a totally different gearing than 2s.

RC Enthusiast
    sorry really bad wording by me. i meant to use them back to back like yall had said. Im most likely going with the 3s lipo but was wondering what sort of gearing i would need if i did end up going to the 2s lipo. and about how much will buying the 16-19t pinion for 3s lipos run me. just like to get estimates so i dont get anything to over priced. I'm sure you will understand

RC Qualifier
    Not a lot...Only like $5. Just go with the 3s....It gives you the versatility you'll want. If you want to go slow(it's all relative) you can gear down....If you want your rig to fly, you have that option too!

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks everyone I think I got everything I need to know for now!! You will deffinately be hearing more for me

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    +1 ssanderson

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    For good all-in-ones, I would start with the Dynamite Passport Ultra and the Hyperion EOS 0606i AC/DC.

I'll let others recommend the cheap Hong Kong brands.
    To charge the "not necessarily cheap" Hong Kong batteries?!
    Ever Evolving Rustler